Eating dinner and working out?

Options
I work out at night after work. Is it better to eat dinner before or after working out?

Replies

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I go after work as well and eat when I get home when my metabolism is running good...seems to work great for me!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    during. make the calories void.
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I sometimes work out after school (at night around 9:00), and I usually try to eat a little something before, but then eat dinner afterward. If I eat too much before my workout I just end up feeling terrible.
  • RobertG86
    Options
    eat while working out lol? not sure if the gym would like that. :smile:
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'd never exercise on a full stomach. Just seems weird to me. Not rational process there, just maybe feel heavier and find it more difficult to run.
    And if I eat at night, I feel sleepy so I'd be less motivated to exercise.

I would eat after the workout, and not care about the time. If you work nights, then you're sleeping pattern is different to others so your metabolism might be synced differently than those of us daywalkers (:P). I think you'll be fine.
  • RobertG86
    Options
    I tried eating before once and after my work out I was hungry like I had never eating in the first place.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Sometime I pack a sandwich for the treadmill.
  • RobertG86
    Options
    I'd never exercise on a full stomach. Just seems weird to me. Not rational process there, just maybe feel heavier and find it more difficult to run.
    And if I eat at night, I feel sleepy so I'd be less motivated to exercise.

I would eat after the workout, and not care about the time. If you work nights, then you're sleeping pattern is different to others so your metabolism might be synced differently than those of us daywalkers (:P). I think you'll be fine.

I have bankers hours cause im a banker lol so im a daywalker as well
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    as long as you are staying within your calorie counts, they say that it doesnt matter when you eat. could be midnight, just dont go over what you burn.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Do whatever fits your schedule. Doesn't matter when you eat.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Sometime I pack a sandwich for the treadmill.

it's pretty good logic unless you're eating something like spaghetti. or curry. I don't want to spill my curry... I love it. :(
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's really up to your personal schedule, as well as your physiology. My partner swears by working out after he eats, says he has more energy to push it. Meanwhile, I "must" work out before I eat, as even running a few hours after eating will hinder my run & cause cramping & nausea. Although, a light snack (like a yogurt 30 mins before a run, or a gel half way through a long run) doesn't bother me too much.

Try it both ways & see which one you prefer. Cheers!
  • teakwood
    teakwood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as I get home after work, wait an hour or so and then I work out. If I get hungry afterwards, I just have a fruit snack. Works well for me.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It does not mater if you just do weight lifting.
    Otherwise, you will burn more fat if you eat dinner after.
    and you can use your dinner as post work out meal also.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It does not mater if you just do weight lifting.
    Otherwise, you will burn more fat if you eat dinner after.
    and you can use your dinner as post work out meal also.