Struggling with my diet

I am having a hard time controlling what I eat. I exercise vigorously at least 3 times a week. I spin for 45 minutes to an hour and burn anywhere from 600 to 750 calories. I wear a heart monitor so I know it is fairly accurate. On Saturdays, I ride my road bike between 25 to 40 miles which burns up to 2000 calories. On the other two days I do light weights, core and some walk/running. I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I don't necessarily eat unhealthy things but I eat a lot. I haven't been writing stuff down because I know I am way over my 1200 calorie goal. I at least always get 4 days of workouts in, but I can't seem to find the discipline to get back to writing down what I eat. Any help??

Replies

• marphydoll
    marphydoll Posts: 19 Member
    I am just learning about nutrition, but what I gather from the amount of working out you are doing, 1200 calories a day is insufficient. I would be starving at only 1200 a day with anything similar workout wise. If it was me, I'd boost the calorie intake and especially focus on protein rich foods so to stay full longer. Also, snacking in between meals (I find if I plan my snacks I make better choices). Good luck!
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Hi Trusty

Your calories are way to low for that much exercise. You need to log what you eat as well as exercise calories you burn and start eating some of the exercise calories back.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    I am just learning about nutrition, but what I gather from the amount of working out you are doing, 1200 calories a day is insufficient. I would be starving at only 1200 a day with anything similar workout wise. If it was me, I'd boost the calorie intake and especially focus on protein rich foods so to stay full longer. Also, snacking in between meals (I find if I plan my snacks I make better choices). Good luck!

I was just about to say the same thing. You can also add fiber to help keep you full. And, with fiber, drink tons of water.
  • I am having a hard time controlling what I eat. I exercise vigorously at least 3 times a week. I spin for 45 minutes to an hour and burn anywhere from 600 to 750 calories. I wear a heart monitor so I know it is fairly accurate. On Saturdays, I ride my road bike between 25 to 40 miles which burns up to 2000 calories. On the other two days I do light weights, core and some walk/running. I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I don't necessarily eat unhealthy things but I eat a lot. I haven't been writing stuff down because I know I am way over my 1200 calorie goal. I at least always get 4 days of workouts in, but I can't seem to find the discipline to get back to writing down what I eat. Any help??

lol head in the sand technique won't work.
    log your food.
    you can't possibly know you are "way" over unless you accurately record what you eat and you certainly won't be able to make any meaningful changes without facts.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    First, log.

Second, track your exercise calories and eat them. You cannot do that much exercise and eat only 1200 calories. Also set your weight loss goal to a pound a week or less. Don't try for 2lbs a week and don't just manually enter 1200.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    I have an android cell phone and there's an application for myfitnesspal. It's much easier to track that way. You say you don't like writing down what you eat, I don't either. If you don't have time to do even that, just take a picture of everything you eat and take a minute to input it when you do have time.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    If your goal is 1200 a day and you burn 2000, you should be eating 3200 that day. If you're trying to eat only 1200, no wonder you're going way over - you must be STARVING. It's dangerous and counterproductive. Record all of your exercise and all of your food, and eat what MFP tells you to. It's simple, don't try to overthink it. Cheating by not recording your food means you're just cheating YOURSELF and no one else.
  • Thanks so much for the replies. They are the motivation that will make me start logging my food today, right now. Hope all who replied have a great day!!! Yours in fitness, Tracey