Gallbladder removal

Options

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had their gallbladder removed?? I have had it removed for about 4 years. I am starting to get fed up with it. I'm not trying to be gross in any way but without having a gallbladder almost everytime you eat it just goes right through you. Have any of you experienced this and HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU FIX IT???? I'm so frustrated to the point where I hate eating anything when I'm at work, going out somewhere.. etc.. =(

I have never had a problem. I had mine taken out last year and I don't even notice it's gone aside from the fact I feel SOOO much better with it gone (no pain).

You might have a chat with your doctor. I don't think what you're experience is normal or caused by gall bladder removal.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Mine started to settle down around year 8. Probiotics saved me (seriously). That, and watching the fatty or sugary meals. My dr calls it "gastric dumping syndrome" no pun intended :laugh:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just had mine removed last Wednesday and I haven't had any side effects yet. I wonder if they forgot to remove it as I had two other surgeries at the same time. lol I have always had a constipation issue so it would be quite the change for me. I also haven't had a big appetite yet since surgery so we will see if I eat the wrong thing all of a sudden.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have been there too, it got better. Red meat and soda with fast food are triggers. I have have heard it referred to as "freight train syndrome " by a non professional. But the term is pretty descriptive.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last december. Mine did not have any stones, but just gradually had stopped working. So, I had been sick with it for a long time and my digestive system actually works better than it has in years. I have had periodic issues, but they seemed to have cleared up after I started taking a probiotic. I have also heard of taking bile acids as well. If it has been four years, you may want to make sure there is not something else going on that was co-occuring with your gallbladder issue.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 2 years ago now. Just in the last few months has it slowed down a little. For the first year and a half I was going to the bathroom after every single thing I ate, sometimes 4 or 5 times in the hour after eating. No matter what I ate. I could never be more than 10ft from a bathroom because when it happened I had to go NOW. Thankfully it has slowed down some and somedays I go the whole day without running to the bathroom. I still have days where I pretty much live on the toilet, but it has gotten better. And unlike everyone else, it is not fat that seems to do it to me, I have more problems with my healthy meals than when I eat at Mcdonalds or something. It's very strange.
  • Two2Love
    Two2Love Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

I had no idea having a gall bladder removed was so common. What causes it and what are the symptoms?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed because i had tons of gallstones.. at the time they thought it was causing my weird stomach pain.
    they werent, i still have the pain sometimes
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    had mine out just about 2 years ago. I have the opposite problem so I am no help.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

I had no idea having a gall bladder removed was so common. What causes it and what are the symptoms?

I had only one stone, which they would have ignored, but it was moving and they were afraid it was going to block something else. I had the most excruciating pain I have ever had with the attacks. I would rather give birth again. I thought I was having a heart attack. If you ever have symptoms like I did you will know...
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    I had mine also removed due to stones, I was 14 when it was removed but I remember the pain was horrible when I would get the attacks.
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    Sorry duplicate post.....
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I had mine out 8 years ago and I have had stomach problems ever since!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem. I had mine taken out last year and I don't even notice it's gone aside from the fact I feel SOOO much better with it gone (no pain).

You might have a chat with your doctor. I don't think what you're experience is normal or caused by gall bladder removal.
    I don't know what you're basing this on other than your individual experience. This is a common effect of gallbladder removal, just seems to be much worse and longer-lasting in the OP's case.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

I was having nausea after eating and a feeling of something being stuck in my esophagus. They did an ultra sound, but found no stones. Thought it might be an ulcer. Did another test called a hida scan and found that my gall bladder wasn't functioning at all.
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgeries these days. Perhaps, in my opinion, it is the foods we are more prone to eat now. Mine had to be removed about a month ago. No problems with digestion issues (feel much better than before) but I did notice a problem eating simple salads for a while. Basically, a good healthy diet (which we all need anyway LOL) and eating three meals and a couple of in-between snacks a day are hfelpful. This is what I have adopted with MFP and will continue even after losing the rest of my weight. A side note: weight loss often triggers a gallbladder flareup IF you have a problem that hasn't shown up before. I learned this after mine began acting up two or three months ago.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in 2005. After it causing complications in both my pregnancies (2002 / 2005) During my second pregnancy they finally did a scan and found I had stones. On a diet of less than 3% fat it could control it, as I couldn't have surgery due to pregnancy. Stayed on this diet after the birth. 3 months later it flared up again - rushed into hospital and had it removed as an emergency. Not a great experience. Since then I can eat what I like (within moderation) but if I have eaten too much or anything with a high fat content, I need to be near the loo very soon afterwards. But hey, this instead of the pain - I'll go for this any day. And if the fat is coming straight out, at least it isn't staying in my system.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

I was having nausea after eating and a feeling of something being stuck in my esophagus. They did an ultra sound, but found no stones. Thought it might be an ulcer. Did another test called a hida scan and found that my gall bladder wasn't functioning at all.

This was me. I went to the hospital because everytime I ate I had to race to the bathroom with a bucket in my lap. Didn't need the bucket but sure felt like I would. I didn't feel sick, but because I had bowel issues for so long thought I might be getting dehydrated. Tried to wait till Monday but couldn't stand it any longer and went to ER on Sunday.

Was admitted dehydrated and for observation, put on clear liquids for 2 days. Felt fine, started full liquids and got sick again almost immediately. The nurse asked if I still had my gallbladder, yep. She told the Dr he ordered the x-ray with the dye. Yep, nothing got past the gall bladder. Take it out or play with it some more. I already used up my week needed to get short term disability, so just as well take it out now.

Was told after the surgery when they took out my gallbladder it just crumbled. There wasn't much left of it. Took me a while to figure out why I still run sometimes after I eat. Now I know, if I eat too much fat, I have to run. I don't want to repeat the before and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Eating high fiber and staying away from fried foods helps a lot.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    This Thanksgiving was my first big meal since my surgery in August, and it was not a good day! I now understand what it means to say your food "goes right through you". I'm going back to small meals, low in fat. Ugh.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This Thanksgiving was my first big meal since my surgery in August, and it was not a good day! I now understand what it means to say your food "goes right through you". I'm going back to small meals, low in fat. Ugh.
    I had mine out in June, and I still have some trouble if I try to eat a lot of fast food, or really large, high-fat meals, but I have adjusted pretty well to where I don't have to worry about fat content. Hopefully you will adjust as well!