I don't know what to do with my life!! help!!

Options
kenzietea
kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
So, this doesn't have to do with weight loss- not a lot of posts under this topic does. I just need ideas and opinions.

I am about to graduate with a degree with physics and bio-engineering. I am not lazy, not am I directionless. I plan on getting my degree still, BUT I can't help but have this gut wrenching feeling that this isn't what I am supposed to be doing with my life.

I am actually kind of depressed over this. I am so desperate for a job that brings me more emotional fulfillment. So what I am asking from my fellow MFPer's, what do you think are the most emotionally fulfilling jobs (money not being an issue)? So emotionally rewarding careers/jobs...what are they in your opinion, no matter how strange or out there they may seem and why are they emotionally fulfilling? Preferably something not specific to MY DEGREE, science is cool, but I am looking for something different.

Thanks!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I used do do lectures to rehabilitation engineering students - my topic was about computer and communication opions for people with a disability, but they worked in all kinds of areas related to technology and disability.
    You could do some cool stuff in this field and it has the medical/feel good component attached.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im feeling the same atm.
    Im not like doing a course or anything. But i dont know what to do with my life.
    I think of every single job in the world, and theres not a single one i want to do.
    I think im destined to work my life stacking shelves..
    But as soon as i know what i want to be then i can start working towards it. Even if i start by doing a home course in the evenings..
    Just need some idea of what it is i want to do.. =/
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Get your degree and work in the field while you volunteer a bit of your time with the homeless, or teaching English or reading, animal shelter. Just an idea : D
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My husband has range of Jobs, he is a pilot and a bus driver and a chemist (not the pharmacy store kind the meterological kind). He finds that very satisfying because he is doing a range of different things and isn't stuck in an office doing 9-5. A normal week for him might be something like Flying on Monday, Chemist on Tuesday, Bus driver wed and thur, Fly Fri and Sat and maybe Sunday off.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Do you have hobbies or talents that you enjoyed, classes you dabbled in. Skills that make you feel proud of yourself when you're using them?
    Are you sure you aren't subconsciously just shying away from the next step, wanting to stay in the "learning mode" instead of job seeking and doing what you've been trained to do?
    I know a few serial students who have never learned to stay with a job long enough to make a career out of it. And, sadly, one friend who I am fairly certain is just getting trained and taking extra classes to bide her time until Mr. Right comes along. I'm not saying you're doing that, just that people have lots of reasons for shying away from moving forward.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I always thought that nursing was a fulfilling career. AND they generally do make good money. With nursing you could work anywhere in the world and they are generally always needed. JMO.....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    hey, speaking from personal experience, I had that same feeling the first two years of my undergraduate years. I was studying Civil Engineering and when I was a junior I decided to change my major to Psychology. EVERYONE advised me not to do so... saying that I would be jobless and miserable for the rest of my life. Turned out that after switching majors, I was involved in a lot of non-profit work, traveled to more than 20 countries, did a lot of research that I am passionate about, presented at conferences and even got into a PhD program.

The point is that no matter how much people think you should "finish something",you have to realize that you live your life for yourself and not for others. The decisions that you make and their consequences make you who you are, and ONLY you will have to live with them. Life is so short, find something that you're passionate about and follow it...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Well this is, unfortunately, is a topic no-one can actually answer. We can all say what we find fulfilling or rewarding, but this is truly a very personal perspective. We could make generic statements that working for a charity or teaching African orphans were rewarding careers, and on one level that would be true. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that it will be fulfilling FOR YOU.

My advice, which I apologise in advance will be very practical, that's just the way I'm wired :):

Before you graduate, approach a number of companies and offer free work experience in a diverse range of roles where your degree may be related. See if something sparks your interest. Sometimes we go through our degree and think, after studying this for four or five years, the last thing I want to do now is go in to a job and do more of the same. Once you get a taste for the job, you may be surprised about whether it is a fit for you.

From a more practical perspective, I encourage you to try to get a graduate role in your chosen field - even if this is not part of your long term plan. A degree with no practical experience degrades in value very quickly over time, and it is always nice to have that career as a fall-back once you have some experience. Once you have a couple of years experience you may decide to chuck it in and go down a different path, but you will then always have a 'profession' to go back to if you find you need to.

Sorry for the rambling post but I hope I was even a lil bit helpful. Every now and again I like to think that my Psychology degree and 10 years in recruitment come in handy for something :tongue:
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You will always find fulfillment in helping people. Especially people who you don't know, and that need you.

I have always found that if I'm having a bad day, I can turn it around just by doing something nice for someone I don't know.

How this applies to a career?
    Well, I'm thinking about going into fitness and nutrition, as a means to help people. I think it would be fulfilling. I'm not certain I want to do it full time, but who knows, it may just turn into something else.

Confucius said "Pick a job you love and you will never work a day in your life"
    This is so true.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I did my undergraduate degree in pure mathematics. I hated the idea of doing it forever though, but had no idea what else to do. I went to grad school for math, realized I hated that even more, and transferred into fisheries biology. I get to travel, teach, work with amazing people all over the world, and I love my job. I work to protect a food resource ensuring that billions still have food to eat in generations to come. It is incredibly rewarding.

My advice is to get out and start shopping for opportunities. Look at other sciences (social, physical, biological, etc.). Your engineering and physics background is highly coveted by other science fields who are looking to branch out. Modeling and quantitiative scientists can basically walk into any field they want these days if you make the right connections. Most programs are moving to be more interdisciplinary.
  • dianeinthemuk
    dianeinthemuk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is a test that many community colleges offer called The Strong Interest Inventory. You may even be able to find it online. It is very cool because it assesses your interests and consolidates the data to let you know what jobs / careers exist out there that you would enjoy. This is not an aptitude test, so you may not have the skills or the ability to achieve the degree or credential(s), but this will be able to help you see what you might like to be doing. I found it really insightful. Just a thought... Good luck!
  • kenzietea
    Options
    Do you have hobbies or talents that you enjoyed, classes you dabbled in. Skills that make you feel proud of yourself when you're using them?
    Are you sure you aren't subconsciously just shying away from the next step, wanting to stay in the "learning mode" instead of job seeking and doing what you've been trained to do?
    I know a few serial students who have never learned to stay with a job long enough to make a career out of it. And, sadly, one friend who I am fairly certain is just getting trained and taking extra classes to bide her time until Mr. Right comes along. I'm not saying you're doing that, just that people have lots of reasons for shying away from moving forward.

Lol! no I swear I am not. I definitely know the type too. I took the path to early graduation and although I am a great student, I am MORE than ready to be done with school. And I already found mr. right =)
  • kenzietea
    Options

Lol! no I swear I am not. I definitely know the type too. I took the path to early graduation and although I am a great student, I am MORE than ready to be done with school. And I already found mr. right =)
  • kenzietea
    Options
    There is a test that many community colleges offer called The Strong Interest Inventory. You may even be able to find it online. It is very cool because it assesses your interests and consolidates the data to let you know what jobs / careers exist out there that you would enjoy. This is not an aptitude test, so you may not have the skills or the ability to achieve the degree or credential(s), but this will be able to help you see what you might like to be doing. I found it really insightful. Just a thought... Good luck!
    Oh thanks! I will have to look into this. Yay google!
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Finding a job with true fulfillment is very important to me. I am an artsy person and I also love nature, animals, and the outdoors. Last year I started my own photography business. Since I am also a full time student and have other jobs, I don't get to dedicate too much time with it and I really don't charge very much. But I so greatly enjoy it and thats what matters to me. Other jobs I have thought about: the zoo, daycare, and even traveling to countries in need.
    I also have a summer job at a marina/State Park. Everyday brings variety and something interesting. I am surrounded by nature and beauty everday and I get to help people (customer service and emergency response). it is by far the best job I have ever had.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I believe that what kind of job you end up doing , really doesn't matter. If you are appreciated at your work place, if you can make a difference and if you can inspire and help people - that's the job that will bring you fullfilment..
    It is not necesary for the person that you are helping to be poor or with some sort of diease. Just look around and start listening. They are a lot of people out there with real problems who , disperately need help but they don't know how to ask for it. Really, what kind of job you have ( as long as you are enjoying what you do\) , really doesn't matter .
  • kenzietea
    Options
    Finding a job with true fulfillment is very important to me. I am an artsy person and I also love nature, animals, and the outdoors. Last year I started my own photography business. Since I am also a full time student and have other jobs, I don't get to dedicate too much time with it and I really don't charge very much. But I so greatly enjoy it and thats what matters to me. Other jobs I have thought about: the zoo, daycare, and even traveling to countries in need.
    I also have a summer job at a marina/State Park. Everyday brings variety and something interesting. I am surrounded by nature and beauty everday and I get to help people (customer service and emergency response). it is by far the best job I have ever had.

we sound very similar :)
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options

we sound very similar :)

haha really? thats awesome. When I was still in high school I planned on majoring in some form of journalism because I enjoyed it (somewhat) and I thought it would be easier to find jobs than if I pursued art. But luckily my senior year I started pursuing art a lot more and finally made the decision to major in visual arts with my emphasis in photography. And I couldn't be happier about that decision! I really hope you find a job that you love! Love your job, and you'll never work a day in your life, right?! haha
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Get into your college career center ASAP. Most of them offer professionally-interpreted assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and others that can help provide some insight into alternatives to what you're assuming your degree is preparing you for. Beyond that, though, you need to talk with somebody knowledgeable about a broad range of careers and can ask the probing questions to suggest some alternative directions. If you haven't done an internship already, use the remainder of your time in college trying on different experiences and seeing what you like most - the experience you gain alongside your degree will have more impact on your career directions than your major most of the time. Talk to people who do things you find interesting - ask them how they got where they are, how they made their decisions about their career path. You'll learn the most about what you find fulfilling from direct experience and those conversations.

To answer the original question - I've found working as a career advisor on a college campus extremely fulfilling. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Go to your community college and take their inventory test. They ask multiple questions about likes and dislikes and how you respond to certain situations. Then from that, they will compile a list of professions that may fit you. It's worth the try.

Nursing is overrated. I know, because I am one. But If you feel that you may be interested, look into volunteering at your local hospital.

You can also volunteer at the local animal shelters.