What's Harder...

Options
Loosing weight or maintaining? Your thoughts or reasons behind your answer, please!

I look forward to your responses, one thing MFP is never short on is people who are looking to loose weight and opinions!

:laugh:

Replies

• CookieRehab
    CookieRehab Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maintaining I think :(
  • dwallior3326
    Options
    I'd say losing weight is the hardest because its so easy to put on the weight...but when it comes to getting rid of it, its easy to give up or lose pride in yourself. But maintaining the weight should be easier because you are happy with your goal weight and you've seen all the results, the last thing you'd wanna do is risk gaining it all back. Once a person adapts to their new lifestyle and eating habits, it should come natural. Without as much effort as it takes to lose weight.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    For those of you who thinks maintaining is harder, why? Curious :)
  • fredtraver
    fredtraver Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Let me think, I would say maintaining. The reason I think when your losing your more focused on the goal you have in front of you. When maintaining you tend not to be not so focused and its easier to reward yourself over and over again. But I think more of the focus could be on lifestyle change and lots of repetition of what you find good to eat and does this continue your lose of weight.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

When you are losing you see progress and you get praise and encouragement from others.

When you're maintaining you're working just not to lose any ground.
    You've got to be more self-motivated since others don't recognize or acknowledge the work it takes to maintain.

Also, you get the "you've done so well, one "sugar bomb" won't hurt you"
    (I do believe in having an extra special treat once in a while, but don't like getting bullied into it. )
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump, would like to read responses as well. Good Q!

Isn't it easier the further away you get from old habits hopefully replaced by healthier ones? Also the longer you use the new habits the more likely for success? Of course anything can change along the way but developing a fit way of life, good coping skills, and healthy exercise and nutrition should all help loads with maintenance. Weight loss has a lot of intricacies, changes, growth and formation of new coping skills and habits...

To me it seems like it would be harder to affect a change than it would be to continue the new habits that lead towards maintenance. But interested in others opinions : )
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

When you are losing you see progress and you get praise and encouragement from others.

When you're maintaining you're working just not to lose any ground.
    You've got to be more self-motivated since others don't recognize or acknowledge the work it takes to maintain.

Also, you get the "you've done so well, one "sugar bomb" won't hurt you"
    (I do believe in having an extra special treat once in a while, but don't like getting bullied into it. )

Oh i see how lack of motivation/praise is a factor. I haven't got much praise and such so i think that is why i over look it!

I think it is easier to maintain since i seem to "accidentally" maintain frequently xD
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks!

I agree that the creeping of old habits and sugar intakes or pasta cravings make it easy to slide. I was able to maintain for 7 1/2 months, then a very stressful period of time came with 3 birthdays in a 2 month period (which in my house is cake and giant meals), moving and more personal stress. BAM! 21lb gain. It's that easy to put it back. Scary easy. Don't want to have to work back down again, it's discouraging to me and frustrating. So, personally, it's a toss up for me.