Dealing with annoying dieters

Options
So someone I know is losing weight with me and so far we have lost the same amount of weight and are 1 lb apart (he's 162 i'm 163 as of two days ago). So this guy is just eating fruits and not eating any meat and basically starving himself eating 800 cals a day with NO exercise. Anyway, he's ANNOYING as hell - after my runs he sees me eating back my exercise calories and criticizes me for eating too much and for wasting my running by eating - then he says you need to have a runners body to run.... anyway this goes on everyday (hes a roommate) and it always ends up with me yelling at him for talking crap to me when we lost the same amount of weight, I eat way more than him, and I can run 6-7 miles while he doesn't have the energy to even take a walk. Yet, the next day he does it again... I feel like beating the crap out of him...

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Well, you've lost 16 pounds so far, so you're doing something right! and the thing is, he can only keep up this not eating for so long before his body will make him eat more and he'll gain it all back. But, good for you for being healthy! :)
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    When you lose the weight faster and you are healthier in a few weeks/months he is going to be eating his words. He may be annoying now, but you are going to come on top later. Just keep that in mind.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Sounds like you are making the better choices and need to just tune him out.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    He is wrong for judging how you die. But you are just as wrong for judging how he diets.
    I mean yes you are dieting more healthily, but still when most people find a diet system that works they cling too it with everything they have even, if its not a very good one.
    But i am sorry that he does say things to damage your progress.
    Maybe you should be telling him how you feel, after all you do kind of live with him. Then maybe he will stop.
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What he is doing might work short time, but what you are doing can sustain a lifetime:smile:
  • wolfiesgirl
    wolfiesgirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd say YOU were going about it the right way, well done!
    I started dieting with a friend, who has now given up and has told other friends
    she is jealous of my weight loss and is now saying I should stop coz I look ill. I don't look ill at all.
    Keep up at the good work and hey, give your room mate a punch from me! lol :-) x
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    um why are you even hanging out with him then? That's stupid.
  • Becky99504
    Options
    He will gain back the weight......you won't!!!
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he may not be able to keep his weight loss going for very long or even keep the weight off doing that! Keep up your good work and don't let him get to you.... Do it the way that you aren't deprived and so you can maintain the lifestyle!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'd blame the way he's eating for how annoying he's being. It messes with how you think, makes you more emotional and just hard to be around.

Did he even give healthy a try or did he just assume it wouldn't be fast enough? I would think seeing someone being able to eat more and lose at them same rate would show that starving yourself isn't worth it. Unless he's got some weird food issues going on or just thinks he'll eventually lose more than you.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Well, think of it this way. Your working out and he isn't. So when he gets his wt off he is going to be all saggy skin and gross. And when you get your wt off, your gonna be really hot.... Don't let him get too you. Just think in the back of your mind, I'm hot and your not.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    He seems kind of jealous. It sounds like you're doing what you need to be doing so just keep calm (don't even bother yelling at the guy) and stay focused on your personal progress. As others have said, his weight loss and starving techniques aren't going to hold up in the long run. No use arguing with him and getting more stressed out. Just let time be on your side!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Making life changes like you're doing is better by far than him using a quick fix for short term success.
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    So someone I know is losing weight with me and so far we have lost the same amount of weight and are 1 lb apart (he's 162 i'm 163 as of two days ago). So this guy is just eating fruits and not eating any meat and basically starving himself eating 800 cals a day with NO exercise. Anyway, he's ANNOYING as hell - after my runs he sees me eating back my exercise calories and criticizes me for eating too much and for wasting my running by eating - then he says you need to have a runners body to run.... anyway this goes on everyday (hes a roommate) and it always ends up with me yelling at him for talking crap to me when we lost the same amount of weight, I eat way more than him, and I can run 6-7 miles while he doesn't have the energy to even take a walk. Yet, the next day he does it again... I feel like beating the crap out of him...

I totally know what that's like. My roommate is exactly like that. She was the largest one in the dorm, but she got lipo in Dominican Republic..and now she thinks she's like a goddess even though she's gained 90% back in 3 months. She always makes rude remarks at me if I'm trying to eat healthy..or has to say something when I'm going to the gym..and not motivating things..like in a "joking" kinda way. It just really bothered me the other day when she was like.."jeez I'm gonna start needing to go to the gym, I can't let myself be fatter then Christina"..It's just frustrating because, here I am working hard, trying to make it a lifestyle, who doesn't have 7g to waste on plastic surgery (and seeing her gain it back makes me want it even less), yet she talks down to me like she's a queen for her "new body". She used to make remarks saying "oh you don't go to the gym" "ugh you never wanna go to the gym with me" and stuff like that..yet she hasn't gone once all semester..she just takes the blame on me :(
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree, the minute he starts eating again, he will gain it back and more. Let him talk all he wants, you are doing it the right way..
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    800 calories is basically starving yourself.... what he needs more than anything is some mental help.... as you can see more than anything is that men suffering from eating disorders are real....I really hope that he finds help and soon.....
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Kick his *kitten*....you'll feel better! :laugh: .....that's the first thing that came to mind! :bigsmile: Naaa, but seriously.....don't listen to his bull****.....he's just being a hater! Congrats to you & your weight loss! :drinker:
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    um why are you even hanging out with him then? That's stupid.

As the OP said he is a roommate.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    What he is doing might work short time, but what you are doing can sustain a lifetime:smile:
    Took the words right out of my mouth! :smile:
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As annoying as it may be, try helping him. Talk to him seriously without joking around about how you're concerned with the way he's going about his weight loss, and give him some information. Maybe he really doesn't realize how dangerous it is to starve your body of the proper nutrients. Or what it could do to your heart in the long run. Try suggesting alternatives to what he's doing, and also make mention you aren't critizing, you're just trying to help. He's acting that way it seems out of jealousy, don't show him that it gets to you, and find a new work out buddy.

Before you do that though, I'd talk to him about it.. That seems to solve 99% of my issues :)