Horrible running experience tonight- my own fault

Options
Ok, here is my story. I've signed up for my first 5K on Sunday so I really wanted to run tonight. Ya know, practice a 5K one more time, then rest until the race. But it gets dark shortly after I get home, and it's raining and 50 degrees out. I've never run in the dark and only run in sprinkles, so.....
I wore my base wicking material layer, then a "biggish" coat over it because I thought it was water proof, then a reflective vest over that. I put on my daughter's too tight baseball cap and a headlamp on that to see.
So when I started running my whole coat is bouncing up and down, my earbuds are falling out of my ears, I start sweating and my "waterproof" coat is holding in my heat,but letting the rain soak me and I'm barely jogging for fear of slipping or stepping in the huge puddles on the roadside. I'm miserable, hot, and wet! I can barely run for 12 minutes before stopping. Needless to say I cut the run short and walked a BIG majority of it too.
Now that it's over I get a chuckle out of it all. Just thought I would share. :laugh:

Anyone else have a terrible exercise experience?

Replies

• HealthyEscape
    Options
    I would have dumped the coat and jumped in the puddles :-)
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I was considering making a thread about something like this, but you beat me to it. XD

Yesterday was a rainy day, but I was determined to get out and work out while I had the energy to do so. Today was a different work out for me. I'm desperate to learn the ways of the jogger, and so I took it upon myself to run up and down the steeper hills in our neighborhood. Everything had been going semi-smoothly until the rain slacked. That was when everyone decided to finally start driving again.

I'd been in the middle of the road, and since my hoodie gave me a blind spot of all the approaching cars, I decided to pull it down. That's when I noticed a large truck sloooowly following behind me. He was nice enough NOT to honk at me---seeing as I was sort of in the way. Being the kind person that I was, I moved over to the far side of the road then decided to watch the truck until he passed so I could resume working out. Well I guess I was a bit too impatient with myself. I'd started jogging on the side of the road while looking back---and ran smack dab into someone's parked car. I had just then remembered that there were cars parked all about (hence why I was jogging in the middle of the street to begin with). It was a loud CLANK, and knocked the wind out of me. Nothing else hurt though.. besides my pride.
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I was a bit too impatient with myself. I'd started jogging on the side of the road while looking back---and ran smack dab into someone's parked car. I had just then remembered that there were cars parked all about (hence why I was jogging in the middle of the street to begin with). It was a loud CLANK, and knocked the wind out of me. Nothing else hurt though.. besides my pride.

That is soooooo funny-and something I would do. Bless you!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yowch, OP. Kudos for maintaining your sense of humor.

Gore-tex is your friend. In the rain or snow, I haven't found anything that works as well. Water stays out, sweat goes out.

Obligatory bad exercise experience: Bonking hard on my MTB halfway up the Bergen Peak trail at Elk Meadow park outside of Denver. When your lunch comes back up, the ride's over. It was all I could do to get back on the bike and slowly ride downhill back to the car.
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    Running at night is my favorite exercise EVER. Wear tights, a light long sleeved shirt other than cotton, light weight gloves, and a beanie, and you're good. You will quickly regret more, otherwise. Oh ya, you already know that. :laugh: You poor thing. You painted a funny pic, but I wish one of us had been driving behind you to take all that stuff off so you could finish your run.

p.s. If you do run at night, plz consider running with a little pepper spray thing like I have. It velcros around your hand and the spray button is right at your thumb in case you need it. It shouldn't go off unless you flip the switch and spray.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    p.s. If you do run at night, plz consider running with a little pepper spray thing like I have. It velcros around your hand and the spray button is right at your thumb in case you need it. It shouldn't go off unless you flip the switch and spray.
    I do have a pepper spray, but Yessterday I left it at home. Thanks
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Running at night is my favorite exercise EVER. Wear tights, a light long sleeved shirt other than cotton, light weight gloves, and a beanie, and you're good.

Now that it's dark early, I wear a headlamp for evening runs. Some of the side streets aren't well lit and the headlamp is easier than a flashlight. Mine's a cheap Duracell LED lamp that takes AA batteries, and it's bright. It's good for visibility, too, so drivers can see and avoid you.
  • flanagan98
    flanagan98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i love to run !! however i have asthma & it can prove to be diffucult some days mor ethan others!:grumble: ! its so frustrating when my legs wanna keep going but my lungs say no way sister!!! haha, we all do what we can & ya i prob would have just ended up jumping in th epuddles too:bigsmile:
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    Way to go, Flanagan, you are an inspiration for those with asthma.

Glad you run with something, Kimmy. I never worry about that stuff myself, but I dated a guy who was upset by that and insisted I run with it. He was probably right. :grumble:

I'm really just jealous of you guys because I can't run yet.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I ran a half-marathon in July. That is the middle of winter where I live, so that's a bit nuts to start with!

It was the 3rd time I had trained for one, though, and the first time I ever made it to race-day (injury and illness prevented the first two times). So I was determined to see it through.

Woke up and it was absolutely pi$sing down with rain and windy as all get-out (Wellington, NZ, is known for gale force winds). Still, I went ahead with it. Within 5 minutes, it was as though I had jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed, jumped out again and started running.

At about the 14km mark, chafing set in (not a problem I had had before trying to run through walls of water). I had to try and put a sticking plaster over my nipples while still running. There was nowhere to go to do it, so I just carried on.

Needless to say, it was an awful experience altogether and my time was terrible - I don't even remember what it was because it was so far from my goal.

But the worst thing about it was getting home, taking off my running gear and realising that my wet sports-bra had chafed all of the skin from under my breasts in a one-inch wide strip all the way across my front.

Still got the scars!