NSV - conquering night shift!!!

Options
DGSki
DGSki Posts: 71 Member
It was a very long, slow, uneventfully night in the ICU and I went down to get food on my first break, I got a salad WOO HOO!! THEN my second break, the night being very boring and quiet.... I take a walk to get food out of boredom and incase something happens I need to eat, well I saw pizza, fajitas, desserts mmmmmm ICE CREAM, but I thought nah and got a GARDEN BURGER!!! I BEAT YOU NIGHT SHIFT!! I WIN!! LOL

Replies

• klynn22091
    klynn22091 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thats awesome!! I work night shift in a hospital too, so I feel your pain!!!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE! I use to do night shift & it always went like this: Coke, copious amounts of coffee, a packet of chips, chocolate. You name it! Although I use to only eat a small amount when I woke up from my sleep. It still messes with you. Thank goodness I don't do nights anymore.
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm battling the case of the night shifts right now. Just blogged about making a good choice, but still having to be very mindful the rest of the day. Congrats to you on beating the bad influence of the night shift.
  • Michelle_C_
    Options
    I am totally on a looooong, slow boring night shift myself in our ICU step down unit... I have had veggies and low cal dip as my midnight snack and oatmeal with strawberries, sliced almonds and wheat bran mixed in for my 0300 snack. I still have a Vector bar incase I need it before I get home... I am totally wining too! Feels great... It used to be all coffee and sugar to keep me gonig... Now it's veggies, oatmeal and H2O! GO TEAM! LOL...
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Night shift here also. 7pm-7am. When my nights are slow it's a blessing. (Police officer) I guess I'm lucky. I work the area where I live. I try to go home and eat healthy during the night. The only problem I have is on busy nights. Some nights I don't get a chance to eat regularly. But I always try to make semi-good choices.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    lol great job! i'm on nights at a hospital as well, though it really hasn't been quiet.. those nights go by sooo sloow!! i've learned to just completely avoid the cafeteria altogether and bring my own stuff b/c the minute you get up there it smells like french fries lol. fortunately when the one guy is up there he puts out an awesome salad bar!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    From a fellow night owl... well done! :)
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Well done!

I don't really eat on night shift (2000-0830). We dont have an open cafeteria.

I have a fruit snack at about 2300, an apple on my journey home, and then a proper breakfast as there's nothing worse than being woken by hunger during daytime sleep.
  • hosnowjo
    hosnowjo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I rotate between day and night shift in a hospital, ofter in the same week too. I used to eat out of boredom in the middle of the night.....and it was crisps, chocolate, sandwiches etc - all high in calories. Since joining MFP I have stopped bringing any money to work so I'm not tempted to buy anything at all. I bring a bag packed(actually crammed) with low calorie snacks to keep me going. Lots of fruit, low-cal crispbread, low-cal cheese spreads, low-cal soups, low-cal cereal bars. Very often, I carry a lot of what's in my bag back home again the following morning, which is great.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!