Lots to lose, it's either this or surgery

Options
Hi everyone,

I am a new user of the forum, I have been using MFP for a few weeks now. I have lost about 2kg .
I worry that if I do not lose weight, I will go up and up. I have lots to lose, but I am starting out smal. I'm trying the Cto5k program in combo with help from a personal trainer.

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on the 2kg loss.

Did the trainer recommend the C25K program? I don't know what your current weight is but if you are just starting out and have lots to lose as you say I would not recommend you do any form of running as it will put a lot of strain on your ankles and knees.

Rich
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You've taken a big step by signing up here! This site is great in motivating you along. Well done on the 2 kgs lost. I would suggest going over to Success Stories and spend some time reading. People with lots and lots of weight have made a change without surgery. You can do this. I am in agreement with Rich, unless your doctor recommended C25K you may want to wait a bit. You certainly don't want an injury that will slow things down. Good luck.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 2kg and making the choice to change!

Did the trainer recommend the C25K program? I don't know what your current weight is but if you are just starting out and have lots to lose as you say I would not recommend you do any form of running as it will put a lot of strain on your ankles and knees.

Rich

It's my understanding that the C25K program starts out with a lot of walking and you don't need to ramp up every time it tells you too if you don't want to or if it's causing strain. Anyone who is starting running, heavy or not, should always pay close attention to any strains or aches and adjust accordingly.

There are plenty of comments on here from runners and what to do in the beginning. A quick search will reveal lots of tips and tricks. Good luck!
  • catrose66
    catrose66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rich. If you have lot's to lose take it easy with the running. Even better talk it over with a Dr. first before doing any type of exercise. I was in the process of getting bariatric surgery. Jumped through all the insurance hoops and was just waiting to set a surgery date. Started MFP in late July because the surgeon said I needed to lose 11 pounds in order to shrink my liver. 41 pounds later I've put the surgery on hold. My knees and hips don't hurt anymore so it's actually enjoyable to exercise- not an exercise in pain. When I first joined MFP I tried to C25K but I couldn't even do the first week and it did hurt. So talk to a Dr. and be careful. But don't give up. This website has helped me keep track of what I eat and the amount I eat.

Tammy
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 2kg and making the choice to change!

Rich

It's my understanding that the C25K program starts out with a lot of walking and you don't need to ramp up every time it tells you too if you don't want to or if it's causing strain. Anyone who is starting running, heavy or not, should always pay close attention to any strains or aches and adjust accordingly.

There are plenty of comments on here from runners and what to do in the beginning. A quick search will reveal lots of tips and tricks. Good luck!

yes it is a walk jog walk jog run jog walk etc interval training program designed to increase the distance you can run. Great for someone starting out running but not so great for someone starting out on an exercise program where walking will be more than enough, in my opinion and based on my experiences of course.

Rich
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Walking just by itself is great exercise, if you feel you want to work out harder when walking but still walk go up some slope or hill, that sure gets the heart going, no need to start out running when it could injure you and put you out of action....
  • debswebby
    Options
    Leslie Sansone - Walk away the Pounds workouts would be a great place to start I reckon.