anorexia recovery?????

Options
Hi I have recently made the decision to get better its so scarey but i need to do it as my bmi is 15 and that scares me! i dont want to live like this anymore feeling trapped and controlled and obsessed with food!

i was eating abouit 600cal at my lowest point and i slowly increased it up to 1800 without gaining weight.. i have been to the doctor yesterday and will probably start some kind of nutrition plan.. i have been doing no exercise appart from like an hours walk a day for work is there any exercises that wont stress my heart that i could do to regain muscle? what are your exercise plans like and at what bmi is it ok to start exercing again?????????? also did u feel really uncomfortable and bloated after eating when you werent hungry? how long does that last?

Replies

• Gr33nstars
    Options
    Just wanted to say congratulations on making the decision to get healthier - you're in the right place. I wish I could help answer your questions but I'm coming from a very different place of reversing years of eating too much! I hope someone can answer your questions soon. Good luck with your journey :-)
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's good that you're seeing a doctor and trying to get help. You'll probably have to eat more so you'll gain weight, which won't be easy at all, but it's really important to improve your health.

To gain muscle you'll want to eat more and lift weights every other day. Protein shakes after lifting would be good and an easy way to boost your calories without making you feel too full. I've been reading a book 'The New Rules of Lifting' and I really like it. There's a version for women too. Maybe you could check and see if your library has it?

Edit to add: It does take a while for your body to get used to eating more. I felt bloated and my stomach would stick out a bit, I joked it was a 'food baby'. It does go away though, once your body gets used to you taking in more and re-learns how to handle things.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congrats hun :)

Talking to your doctor would probably be the best place to start

I've heard a bit about refeeding at uni (psych student) and i'm pretty sure it's ideal to gradually increase calories (150 a day for a week, then another 150 a day the next week etc) Something about the increase of insulin associated with the increase in food affecting cardiac workload, blood pressure etc. But I'm not a good student so I can't tell you that with 100% positivity.

Doctor would be the best person to go to and congratulations again
  • vieveykins
    Options
    Bless your heart and well done on starting on the road to recovery. It's such a destructive disease and I wish you all the best.
    Gr33nstars is right. I suspect there are very few people on here in the same boat as you and on dangerous ground like this talking to a professional will be your best bet.

Good luck and stay strong. You deserve to be happy and healthy.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think its best you speak to your doctor about this to be sure and run through any suggestions from here with him before undertaking anything - medical credibility bit over now!

However... maybe discuss the idea of pilates with him and some low intensity calisthenics such as squats, pressups and situps as these may help build bone and muscle density back up, but using your own body weight... Pilates is supposed to be good for strengthening weak muscles too but it shouldn't get your heart rate up too high either...

PLEASE... check all this stuff out with your doc before undertaking it though! :)
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Been there done that!! I am 5-9 and at the peak of my anorexia I weighed in at 107! Not a very good weight for someone of my height. (normal weight for me is 142-162) I am proud of you for taking the big step into recovery! Take it slow and hopefully you have someone around you who you know you can trust and who loves you, because when you do start to gain some weight back they will be able to keep you grounded and out of panic mode. See a nutritionist about a healthy food plan and get rid of your scale. My nutritionist and- believe it or not- my chiropractor were key players in my recovery. I weigh 149 now which is very good, but as I know you can relate, all I see is this huge blubber ball when I look in the mirror. I have learned to trust those around me and not what I perceive in the mirror. It takes time. It also helped me having an understanding counselor to bounce my warped reality off of. People who are overweight will say,"wow, I wish I had your problem!" but they have no idea how our food issues are as destructive as theirs are! Progress not perfection!! You can do it!!