You're on a diet, you shouldn't be eating that..

Options
I just got told by both my father and my grandfather that i shouldn't be eating my fun size chocolate frog because I was on a diet, and 'already fat'.

Never mind the fact that I burnt nearly 500 calories exercising today, I can eat whatever the hell I like as long as it it in moderation!

Some people are so narrow minded and critical!

Has anyone else had people tell them this?

Replies

• georg1aaa
    Options
    My brother and my mum tell me this all the time. I don't know whether they're being sarcastic or generally are just that critical :/ my dad is always really nice about it though, and says I don't have to eat it if I don't want to but eating treats is good in moderation :-)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    People only make the mistake of commenting on what I eat ONCE!
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    People only make the mistake of commenting on what I eat ONCE!

he he he...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    lol, my mum.

she told me eggs are bad for me, and to stop eating carbs altogether including veg. Sorry but what?!

so clueless....
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    my father used to say things like that to me all the time. He meant well, but it hurt. I grew up feeling like the chubby daughter and I hate that feeling. Now, I just try not to eat in front of critical people, or at least not the "good" stuff anyway.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just got told by both my father and my grandfather that i shouldn't be eating my fun size chocolate frog because I was on a diet, and 'already fat'.

Never mind the fact that I burnt nearly 500 calories exercising today, I can eat whatever the hell I like as long as it it in moderation!

I hate this ! my kids and sometimes my husband will say something like "Are you supposed to eat that "
    and I say yes I am, only when they know you are watching calories, etc will people say stuff like that, it is very rude .Since when do you care what I eat ? one of my pet peeves ..........
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

It's normally me telling myself that, not my family members. They've been really good about supporting me and they don't even question what I eat. If a family member had said that to me, and male one at that, I think I would have hauled off and punched them. But that's just me. Don't let them get you down, you are only answerable to yourself.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey I ate Thanksgiving dinner at work Wednesday this week and someone asked me yesterday "are you going to have another cheat day?" I said I didn't cheat. I stayed within my calories......

So basically if you eat at all your not dieting? ..WTH???

I just keep on trucking.

My 98 lb loss speaks for itself.

This is a lifestyle change...if I can't work in treats or whatever I would never have gotten this far.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Yeah, my boyfriend has done this. I think he thought he was being helpful. I explained that I can eat whatever I want within my calorie limit and he hasn't said anything again.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Except for my Mum, my partner and a few close friends, nobody knows I'm on a diet. Makes it easier that way!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I must say I have been very very lucky as so far not one person has criticised my food choices
    for which I am very thankful

just continue your plan and eat what you want in moderation and show them you can do it and then at the end thank them for their support :):):)
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was on the phone to my bf the other night cooking my dinner (which was fish & veg) and I was like "MMMMMM baby sweetcorn! :)"

And he said "your on a diet!!!"

EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME.. if im on a diet and i cant eat sweetcorn wtf can I eat!?

Grrrr some people!!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I know comments like that hurt, but just smile and know in YOUR heart that you have earned that bit of a treat. Let the results you are sure to get speak for themselves!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey I ate Thanksgiving dinner at work Wednesday this week and someone asked me yesterday "are you going to have another cheat day?" I said I didn't cheat. I stayed within my calories......

So basically if you eat at all your not dieting? ..WTH???

I just keep on trucking.

My 98 lb loss speaks for itself.

This is a lifestyle change...if I can't work in treats or whatever I would never have gotten this far.

LOVE THIS!!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to tell me I was fat when I was a teenager even now I know I wasn't. Even on drugs and sooo sucked up sick looking, she called me fat. She'd say "omg! You're eating again?! "? ?? I hardly ate anything in weeks and it was the first time I'd been home in days. 2 days after giving birth (off drugs!) she called me fat. She was cruel sometimes. I've had other people tell me I was fat or ask how far along I was when I really wasn't that big. My bmi was healthy anyways. For a long time I didn't like people being able to see me eat. I felt embarrassed if someone even glanced at me and there was food in front me.
    I don't know why people are like that. They know it's mean; how could you not know?
  • amymaria91
    Options
    YES!!

My boss does it all the time and it really winds me up. She turns to me and says 'do you know how many calories are in that?' and my response is 'well yes I do, I'm the one that's counting my calories/fats/carbs etc while you eat whatever you want'

Sometimes if she's really annoyed me about other stuff I'll make sure I have something for lunch that she thinks is 'bad for me' just to wind her up
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Except for my Mum, my partner and a few close friends, nobody knows I'm on a diet. Makes it easier that way!

I told my boyfriend I am tracking my calories, buty he doesn't know I'm dieting, so it's easier for me this way. Maybe I feel like if I do tell everyone, they'll ask me when I do have something sweet or bad for me "Hey, what happenned to your diet?"
    So yeah, keep it to myself.
  • andrialindsay
    Options
    Yuck, people can be so insensitive.
    My parents are both supportive for the most part. My dad always asks how I'm doing with it, and my mom tries to make accommodations.
    HOWEVER, the people at work drive me nuts. Stupid comments like "Oh, I guess you cant have any huh?... followed by laughter, or "Oh yeah, thats right your on a diiiiiieeeeeeeeeetttttttt" ugh, or the worst, when I broke down and bought a diet coke after a really stressful day at work and one of my cna's was like "OMIGOD! gasp, you bought a diet coke? Shame on you!" I mean really. The thing is, I'm not even on a "diet". I worked hard and am damn well near my goal weight... I just dont want to start eating crap again and undo everything.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    People think that you have to be miserable and hungry and deprived to lose weight. We have found a better way...I say eat em if you got em...
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thread hijack - just went to tell someone who's posted on this thread that their new profile pic is really cool and I find they've unfriended me. *insert surprised/sad face here*