Plateau ....how long?

Options
It's going on 4 wks that I've been gaining & losing the same 2lbs!! I fluctuate between 131 & 133. The lowest wt I've seen is 131.4 but it didn't stick:( now I go from 133 something to 131.8. This is soooooo frustrating & I wonder how long this will last. It doesn't seem to matter that when I eat well or go over my calories nothing is working. My last day of bootcamp will be next tues & I'll be going to the YMCA after that. Just wonder what else I can try

Replies

• chefswife67
    Options
    Bump! I have Plateau too.. Up and down the same 2 lbs..
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    just look at your diet again. drinking enough water. health wise, getting enough sleep? look at your height, is your weight goal realistic? not really technical on micro-nutrients so I can't say if too much or too little of something is keeping you from loosing, but are there enough fruits/veggies in your diet? etc. . . I struggled with the same pounds for about 3 months
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have found 30DS has been brilliant. But I'm about the same weight (61.5 kgs currently) and i am gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time which is why the scales aren't so reliable.
    Suggest you check your body comp as well .
    I find I don't lose unless I exercise twice a day AND eat WAY under my calorie intake. I kind of end up zig zagging a bit calorie wise but hardly ever eat what MFP says I should. Eating exercise calories just doens't work when my maintenance is only 1600 calories anyway.
    Check your maintenance calories you'll be surprised how similar it is to your losing weight calorie goal. Doesn't leave ANY room for mistakes.
    I looked at your diary and actually I think your calorie goal is way to high if you wish to lose weight.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've been going back and forth with the same 2 lbs. going on 7 weeks. I'm taking the advice of folks on MFP to A) increase my calorie intake and B) change up my workout routine.

Also, your body may be telling you it's happy where it is!! How many more lbs. do you have to go?
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's going on 4 wks that I've been gaining & losing the same 2lbs!! I fluctuate between 131 & 133. The lowest wt I've seen is 131.4 but it didn't stick:( now I go from 133 something to 131.8. This is soooooo frustrating & I wonder how long this will last. It doesn't seem to matter that when I eat well or go over my calories nothing is working. My last day of bootcamp will be next tues & I'll be going to the YMCA after that. Just wonder what else I can try
    I am too, stuck at 131.2 lbs- 134 lbs. Keep loosing and gaining the same 3lbs for weeks. And im a shortie 5' 1. so i still have another 20-lbs to lose.
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It took 3 weeks for me to get pass my plateau. I changed a few things. I found my equation meaning I had to eat more calories and often to lose and I added 3 days of strength & toning to my week.

However during those 3 weeks I was losing inches. During your plateau phase I highly suggest to pull out a tape measure to track when the scale does not move. It will put you at ease to still see some type of progression.

Keep up the great work and you prevail!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Also, your body may be telling you it's happy where it is!! How many more lbs. do you have to go?

I hate, hate, hate, when people say this. This is nothing more than an excuse. You can look however you want to look, whether your body is happy or not.......it's just going to have to deal with it!! LOL

OP, have one day a week that you eat 2 x bmr and you will lose.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have found 30DS has been brilliant. But I'm about the same weight (61.5 kgs currently) and i am gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time which is why the scales aren't so reliable.
    I find I don't lose unless I exercise twice a day AND eat WAY under my calorie intake. I kind of end up zig zagging a bit calorie wise but hardly ever eat what MFP says I should. Eating exercise calories just doens't work when my maintenance is only 1600 calories anyway.
    Check your maintenance calories you'll be surprised how similar it is to your losing weight calorie goal. Doesn't leave ANY room for mistakes.
    I looked at your diary and actually I think your calorie goal is way to high if you wish to lose weight.

I read here to change your lbs per wk you want to lose when you're 10 or lbs from your goal & that's why the number us higher
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I hate, hate, hate, when people say this. This is nothing more than an excuse. You can look however you want to look, whether your body is happy or not.......it's just going to have to deal with it!! LOL

This is really interesting. Why do you say this?
  • helen0241
    Options
    Just hang in there .I have went through the same thing .lost .8 yesterday and i.2 thjs morning. It is hard when the scale dosethat but we will make where we wamt to go if we stay determined. You can do it and you are worth it.
  • stemen2011
    stemen2011 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just broke my plateau by lowering my calories for a couple days, in taking more water, and doing an extra 15 minutes of exercise which brings it to 45 mins a day.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck on the same 2lbs for almost 2 months now, I'm in the process of meeting with a trainer to see if he can help me get through this plateau.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Yeah my body may be comfortable but I'm not. Im 5''3 & would like to weigh 120-125 again (pre-preggo wt). It's just so frustrating!!
    Thx for all the advice. I just don't like being stuck. I'm measure myself monthly & it's coming up next wk so maybe there's some change
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    save for later, same problem :(
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

This is really interesting. Why do you say this?

In regards to happy weight, everyones genetics are different. Some are genetically leaner than others while they eat the same foods as someone else. This doesn't have to stop you from achieving your goals. You may just have to get a little creative with how you go about it.

Having a spike day boosts your fat burning hormones. Hormones like leptin and T3 lower while dieting and this one day temporarily boosts these hormones and provides an increase in your metabolism.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was just one one for about 3 weeks and it finally stopped... it turns out, it was probably partly my fault -- I was overestimating calories burned in exercise because of my machine (doh), and my daily calories were set at 1200 which just wasn't working (too few -- so I was overeating sometimes when I just got too hungry). So I got a HRM and bumped my target to 1400 and things are moving again. Mine was right around 128-130 lb too.

So... maybe it would be worth reviewing what you're doing and seeing if something is off track?
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I read here to change your lbs per wk you want to lose when you're 10 or lbs from your goal & that's why the number us higher

I think you might want to try eating more. I was advised to if you have less than 10 lbs to loose go for 0.5lbs a week. It sounded really scary, but it worked I lost 1lb in a week. I had been a deficit of at least 500 calories a day for 10 months and my body responded very well to the extra food. Try it for a few weeks, if you aren't loosing with your current plan. I now eat 1800 calories net, but I am quite active.

The post you quoted i found very unhelpful. It really does frustrate me when people try to push low calorie goals on others. Serious calories deficits like this may induce a lose, but it will include a significant proportion of lean mass too if you don't have much to loose. Personally I don't want to loose muscle or tissue from my organs or bones. To the OP - just keep doing what you are doing, in the knowledge that you are healthier and need to take it one day at a time!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options

I have been stuck at a Plateau since June 25th and th scale goes up and down between the same 4 pounds, very frustrating
    and nothing is working to break it. I thought since being sick for a week would have changed things but not even that did anything.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you are consistently logging your food, so I would suggest doing that every day. It's hard to help or even call it a plateau without knowing how much you are eating.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I just posted a new blog today that may be helpful to you...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/breaking-a-plateau-170648