Tips on what to bring in packed lunches!

Options
I currently work about 35 hours a week and go to school full time. I am constantly in my car driving from house to house to do therapy. I usually start the day around 8am and finish around 7 when I go and work out. Any tips on what to bring on the road to eat for lunch and dinner? Usually lunch and dinner are eaten in my car and I get sick of eating the same things!!!

Replies

• Indy_Mario
    Options
    I wish I had something to contribute, but I am in the same boat! So...BUMP :flowerforyou:
  • McFishie
    Options
    When I get sick of sandwiches ( or can't be bothered to make an exciting sandwich ) I switch to a 3 bean mixed salad. So quick and easy to make, so cheap, really yummy and it keeps you satisfied. Here's the recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/three_bean_salad/. To make it simplier I just use a can of beans - you can buy a can of 'three bean salad' for around 49p at Tesco that I just open, drain and rinse ....and I play with the dressing to reduce the sugar.I make it the night before and pop it in the frige so the flavours have time to mix and then bring the salad separately and add it in just before I eat it so it doesn't go soggy (the recipe says parcley but I use rocket or whatever I have). So yummy
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    a bag with 1/8 cup pistachios and 1/8 cup almonds.
    Fig Newton thins.
    Grapes.
    4 queen olives.
    Celery with laughing cow cheese on it.
    A bag of baby carrots with a small container of hummus!
    2 Pineapple rings!
    An apple that is peeled and cored with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
    Sargento cheese sticks (the full fat kind and low sodium kind)
    A whey protein shake.
    Chocolate covered coffee beans (dark chocolate only)
    Dark chocolate (watch those portions)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    get a big lunchbox w/ one of those freezer packs that kids use :)

water, water, water
    almonds, plain or flavored (I prefer blue diamond brand) especially their dark chocolate which tastes really good actually
    string cheese (I like Borden Brand)
    deli sliced turkey (swiss cheese)=sargento brand
    peanut butter (alone or like w/ celery or something)
    milk boxes (horizon or silk soy milk (very vanilla)
    pre-packaged salads (I like walmart marketside brand harvest salad)
    protein bars
    fruit, fruit, fruit
  • owlesque
    Options
    Reduced Fat Town House crackers with laughing cow cheese ("creamy light Swiss," 35 cal/wedge) and lean deli turkey. Also would work with tuna salad or something. If you make the cracker sandwiches beforehand they'll be easy to eat in the car, but I usually just put a sleeve of crackers, a couple wedges of cheese, and a baggie of turkey in my lunchbox and assemble it at my desk.

Fruit, of course--Apples and grapes at this time of year, but in the summer I'm all about the berries.
    Carrot/celery sticks.

This weekend I'm planning to saute some zucchini, red potatoes, carrot slices, and spinach in olive oil and Italian seasoning and divide it into portions to take to work. I have a microwave in my office so I'll be able to heat stuff up, but I imagine it'd be okay cold too.

Protein bars. My new favorite is Zone dark chocolate and strawberry.

Smartfood popcorn, flavored rice cakes, baked Lays, etc.

A few Hershey kisses, if you need the chocolate fix! Dark chocolate is best, of course, although I tend to prefer milk chocolate.

Light/lowfat cheese sticks or cubes.

Peeled hard-boiled eggs. I can eat them plain, no salt or anything--I just grab a couple from the fridge and eat them in the car. Maybe that's weird. ;)

Trail mix, mixed nuts, etc.

I like dry Cheerios, but that kinda goes for whatever cereal you like and can eat dry. Cheerios are the perfect thing to nibble if you just need something to hold you over a little bit.

Leftovers! The other day I got a burrito bowl at Chipotle for dinner. Sure there are better choices, but if you save half for the next day, it doesn't add up too badly. I brought the leftover half to work for lunch and ate it straight from the fridge. Obviously, microwaving leftovers is generally preferable!