BOWFLEX

Options
Hello... Does anyone here use the bowflex home gym? Have you seen good results from it?

Replies

• Timothytim2
    Options
    Just committed this week to finally starting to use mine after having it decorate my home gym for several years unused! Actually I did use it religiously for six months after buying it and it was awesome, now kind of wish I had kept it up and I would have a figure closer to “Arnold than Buddha” right now.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I know they are expensive, and you can get the same results from any machine that does similar workouts. I got a good quality machine for $250.00 on craigslist that I can do all the same exercises on.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    My bowflex is what started me losing weight, for the first 45 pounds I did nothing but bowflex routines.

However, I would not recommend buying a new unit as they are way over priced., try looking for a used one. I bought mine on Craigslist for 150$, Also keep in mind that if you keep lifting, eventually you will want a machine that can handle more weight, once you load the bowflex up with a lot of resistance it can act kind of funny.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    We have had our bowflex for several years, it was also decorating the house haha! The bf would use it on and off and I just went to the gym, but I have been doing bodyrock.tv workouts and was thinking of adding some bowflex to the mix. Thanks for the info :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    The Bowflex usually has progressive resistance only. That means it only works hard on the concentric contraction and lacks eccentric contraction. Eccentric contraction is responsible for DOMS and the tiny muscle tears that help to build muscle. It's better than no workout though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The Bowflex usually has progressive resistance only. That means it only works hard on the concentric contraction and lacks eccentric contraction. Eccentric contraction is responsible for DOMS and the tiny muscle tears that help to build muscle. It's better than no workout though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks!