For those lacking support at home...

Options
I found an interesting article the other day and I wanted to share it with you all here. I regularly see posts where people are lacking support from the people in their lives and I can only imagine how hard that must be. I am so grateful for all the support here on MFP but when it comes to your everyday real world experience it is very important that those who are closest to you not put you down, but often that is exactly what they do. It destroys your motivation and self esteem. Well, apparently there might be a reason they are doing this, check out what this article says:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/14/health/lose-weight-mouth-shut-secret/index.html?npt=NP1

Replies

• jennyd404
    jennyd404 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did like this article. My husband, even last night after I told him about my health screening concerns, said just start next week and proceeded to make a very unhealthy meatball hoagie pizza - wanting me to join him for dinner. I think if I can keep it to myself - I will have more motivation to make it.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this!
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    That makes so much sense! Thanks for posting!
  • mrsway
    mrsway Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to share. It made sense to me too when I read!
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    That was an amazing artical. thank you so much for sharing. it really opened my eyes to things!!!!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

On a similar note, no one that I've told has been unsupportive per se... but I have been called obsessive and that I'm bringing other people down when eating out because they know I'm considering the calories. While I can't take back who I've told, I don't think I'll mention it anymore to those people... not even when I meet smaller goals. It'll probably help my relationship with them!
  • mrsway
    mrsway Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

On a similar note, no one that I've told has been unsupportive per se... but I have been called obsessive and that I'm bringing other people down when eating out because they know I'm considering the calories. While I can't take back who I've told, I don't think I'll mention it anymore to those people... not even when I meet smaller goals. It'll probably help my relationship with them!

I agree completely with that! I have been told that I am obsessive about it too. Once someone know that you are working on a lifestyle change that is all they see, and they do act differently around you when it comes to eating together or even other activities. One of my coworkers and I had lunch at the same time one day and we had a new hire eating with us and when he offered me some of his food my coworker quickly told him that I am "anal" about my food.