What is your highest heart rate

Options
The maximum t heart rate for a person is 220 - age
mine is 173. When I work out, the highest heart rate I got is 187. I usually slow down when I see my heart rate went
over my max. I don't know if it's better to slow down or does it actually good for me to keep my heart rate high.

Replies

• tarynjohnson
    Options
    220- age is just a guideline. My understanding is the Max heart rate is hereditary and some are higher than the guideline and some are lower. From the reading I have done- as soon as you feel the urge to throw up, you are approaching your maximim. But I could be wrong.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Mine would be 193 by that calculation, I think I've hit high 180s on my HRM. I'd like to do some sort of test though to see what my true max is, so I can input it correctly into my HRM.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I got to 193 once (I'm 41) sustained on a tempo run. I'm still alive, so yeah.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I did not feel like throwing up. Im just afraid I would have an heart attack so I slow down.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    172 according to my hrm.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I did not feel like throwing up. Im just afraid I would have an heart attack so I slow down.

Yeah as long as you felt ok you should be fine. I've gotten up higher than my HRM though I should (although not higher than that magical calculation) and it was fine. Its not an exact science (well it probably IS but no one knows the secret of it yeT) just like dieting isn't an exact science. Too many variables with each human's body.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well guess my max heart rate is suppose to be 179, but I clocked in at 204 on my stress test. I like to work between 170-182 when I'm getting my cardio on, otherwise I don't feel like I'm doing much. My heart rate first thing in the morning averages 40, and my average heart rate during the day runs 55-68. After a very thorough exam (I had it ALL done), my cardiologist said I'm just fine ~ have one hell of a pump :smile: I definitely don't fall in the norm category, but after my work up, I don't worry about it anymore....just keep on exercising!
  • Lt_Hawkeye
    Options
    I usually average in the 120s (I'm 20 years old). I don't know if that's good or not...everyone here seems to have higher heart rates than I do. :\ Or maybe I just don't know how to read my heart rate monitor or set it correctly. I don't know; the highest I've seen on there was 130-something.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Mine's 172 and when I do my Insanity workouts, it stays in the high 150's - 160's. I think I'm reasonably fit now, so I guess I just have a higher heart rate than average.
  • Taan46
    Options
    Highest ever was 212, and I usually sit around 180 + for cardio and 140 - 165 for strength training. In PT sessions, Im over 198 from about 5 min in and stay there for the half hr session. I had it checked out after someone mentioned that it wasn't the norm, but Dr ran some tests and said as long as I feel physically fine, (no dizzy spells, headaches, chest pain, wanting to vomit, or just generally fatigued/exhausted) to carry on as I am, and just listen to my body. So I do, and no problems so far. I just assumed the higher your heart rate the less fit u were, but I'm not sure of the scientific way the two relate to each other.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    During my licensing/training, we are taught to tell our members (YMCA) this:

The aerobic training recommendations:
    * Frequency: 3-5 days/week
    * Intensity: 91% MHR
    *Duration: 20-60 minutes aerobic activity

That make sense? To get your 91% the equation would be (220-age) x desired percentage (.91) = THR (target heart rate)
    The reason we say 20+ on the minutes is because you don't actually start burning fat until a activity has been maintained for a minimum of 20 minutes (something most people don't know).

So, whatever your 91% of Max Heart Rate is, you should do a minimum of 20 minutes at that. Of course, everyone is different, but that is the recommendation.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    220- age is just a guideline. My understanding is the Max heart rate is hereditary and some are higher than the guideline and some are lower. From the reading I have done- as soon as you feel the urge to throw up, you are approaching your maximim. But I could be wrong.

This ^
    193 was puke inducing for me
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    That would make mine 194...seems pretty accurate...thats about the point when I feel like I'm gonna die. :laugh:
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm 45. My resting heart rate is 43-48. The highest I"ve seen was 174. Usually when I get into the mid 160s, I'll need to slow down. Luckily HIITs are usually one minute so I can handle the high rate for that long.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    I can tell you that the recommendation of 91% of MAX, if you can determine your MAX, is not correct. Intensity should very rarely get to that level for working out. Tour de France riders don't get their heart rates up to that high when training on a regular basis. Most of your work should be done between 65-80% of Max. If you do intervals, or are running a race, then you would see it that high. But that's a rarity.

I would go back and check on that. It might be 91% of your ATHR..Anaerobic threshold heart rate but not MAX.

For people seeing numbers that don;t make sense to them based in the calculation of 220-Age, its because that formula only works for people in their 20s. Its a good starting MHR for people but you should either go get it checked during a stress test, or if you are healthy, and a runner, go run a 5K and if you push, look at it when you hit the finish line.

There are other ways to find your Target Zones. Look into the Karvonen formula which factors in your true resting heart rate which you take in the morning.

Lastly, understand that heart rate is a personal thing. You may be at 164 and your exercising partner might be at 183 and your body is experiencing the same intensity level. So don't look at anyone else, just find yours.....
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that the recommendation of 91% of MAX, if you can determine your MAX, is not correct. Intensity should very rarely get to that level for working out. Tour de France riders don't get their heart rates up to that high when training on a regular basis. Most of your work should be done between 65-80% of Max. If you do intervals, or are running a race, then you would see it that high. But that's a rarity.

I would go back and check on that. It might be 91% of your ATHR..Anaerobic threshold heart rate but not MAX.

For people seeing numbers that don;t make sense to them based in the calculation of 220-Age, its because that formula only works for people in their 20s. Its a good starting MHR for people but you should either go get it checked during a stress test, or if you are healthy, and a runner, go run a 5K and if you push, look at it when you hit the finish line.

There are other ways to find your Target Zones. Look into the Karvonen formula which factors in your true resting heart rate which you take in the morning.

Lastly, understand that heart rate is a personal thing. You may be at 164 and your exercising partner might be at 183 and your body is experiencing the same intensity level. So don't look at anyone else, just find yours.....

I agree that bikers usually do aim for a lower heart rate... This calculation is used in high-impact aerobics such as running, Zumba, etc. I actually typed that directly from my paperwork, so no need to go back and check. That is the standard of the YMCA of the USA. When I exercise, I usually see a minimum of 91%, but that is something that by body has become accustomed to over the past few years. That is where I like to work. However, in Spin class, I do notice that my HR rarely goes above 85%. But the instructor also makes you aim for 85% (during some intervals), so that could be why. You may be correct, but these are the correct recommendation of the YMCA. You could probably check with any personal trainer to get an opinion by making a free phone call... that is, at any facility.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    I am sorry to absolutely continue to disagree....but. The average person could not sustain 91% of their real Maximum Heart Rate for anything close to 20 Minutes. I have been running marathons and Ironman triathlons for over 20 years and have trained countless people and I can tell you I have never met anyone, except the times I actually rode with the US Postal cycling team, that could sustain that high of a heart rate for 20 minutes. It just doesn't make sense that it would be the recommendation for the average fitness person, who most likely could not go above 80% of their max heart rate.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Mine is 168. I hit 170 during a stress-echo test. I've hit 151 in the gym.