Help, I've fallen and can't seem to get up

Options
First, I recently found out I'm a diabetic so I've lost 20 pounds so for. I don't understand what is happening right now. I have been so good on my diet until yesterday. I had McDonald's sausage biscuit for breakfast, got to work and 3 cookies with chocolate on top, had cheeseburger and fries for lunch with ketchup, 2 bowls of Golden Crisp for dinner. Started out this morning with a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese, and am following that up with a new box of Nilla Wafers. Please stop me.

Replies

• shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Can you remove yourself from where you are (home or work) long enough to get some control?

Get some water, maybe go for a walk, do something that makes you feel like you're headed the right way so you can break the cycle.

And keep posting if the support helps you.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Can you remove yourself from where you are (home or work) long enough to get some control?

Get some water, maybe go for a walk, do something that makes you feel like you're headed the right way so you can break the cycle.

^^^^^This. Just get up and walk away from the food, start over!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Any time I eat high carb and/or high sugar stuff in the mornings, I just tend to spiral out of control. So I avoid them. Maybe cook yourself up some eggs for breakfast and have a slice of high fiber toast to start off your day.
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    WHOA NELLY... BREAKS, HIT THE BREAKS! If you can get away from the food, that will be a HUGE help, are you being sure to put EVERYTHING in your journal? I know for me, it helps if I fill it out right away in the morning, and then I KNOW what I have for the day... and how many calories I have left to "play with" for the day. LOG, LOG, LOG. Then you will see what you are doing.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Ditto to all above posts
  • Labcoathipster
    Options

^^^^^This. Just get up and walk away from the food, start over!

YES. Great advice. Stand up, walk away and get back to an even ground. It's never too late to get back to normal. Give the box you just opened to someone at work so it's out of sight. You can do this!!!
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! I am diabetic too. It was a shock at first but you gradually get used to the lifestyle. It's not like you can't EVER have some of the foods you were eating before. It is now time to pace yourself for the marathon. Trust me, I know that the first 20 pounds are the easiest. I lost them quickly and gained them back just as quickly. Now I've lost them again - this time for good. Keep coming back for support and encouragement and be sure to log your food choices. That can be an eye opener. You will be fine but really, just get up and walk away for a bit until you can regain control of your thoughts. You can do this.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have lost over a stone so far, good for you. Do you want to go back to being a stone heavier, no, I did not think so. Treat it as a small blip on the radar and start fresh tomorrow. We all have bad days, but as long as the good outweighs the bad then you will get there.

I am within site of my goal but it has taken me over 11 months to get there, I got to within a couple of pounds of my goal weight a few years ago (without the help of MFP) and put on over two stones within about 4 months, i.e back to square one! Now that I am using this site and there is a lot of support on it I will be keeping the weight off for good - remember, lifestyle change not a diet.

Best of luck, A.
  • kathyellen
    kathyellen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i understand that out of control feeling. Just the fact that you posted here is a good sign. Know that everything you put in your mouth does make a difference. If you are hungry, eat. Get better foods around you, make the choice not to have the fries, but eat something you like. Make sure you have easy access to better foods. Don't let yourself get too hungry.
    You can do it. Stop now, know that you can do it, you don't have to starve or deprive yourself, just make better choices.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like you hit the mental plateau...trust me, it does exist.

Usually I'm the type of person to say "Tomorrow's a new day, just get back up", but I feel like there's something going on in your mind that flipped the "bad" switch. While diabetes is a pretty big reason to lose weight, is it the only reason? What caused you to want to stop by McDonald's for breakfast?

I know everyone is different and on different paths, but finding out your triggers for the "bad" switch will probably help in the long one. And coming up with ways to get away from the triggers.

And I agree with hojo...LOG!!! LOG everything!
  • jalemap
    jalemap Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that reply. I think I stopped by McDonald's because it is what I used to do. Good idea to look back at what and why. I'm leaving town tomorrow morning going to Oklahoma to visit my brother that I haven't seen since my sister died (from complications of diabetes). That was about 8 years ago. I guess I'm nervous...
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    First, I recently found out I'm a diabetic so I've lost 20 pounds so for. I don't understand what is happening right now. I have been so good on my diet until yesterday. I had McDonald's sausage biscuit for breakfast, got to work and 3 cookies with chocolate on top, had cheeseburger and fries for lunch with ketchup, 2 bowls of Golden Crisp for dinner. Started out this morning with a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese, and am following that up with a new box of Nilla Wafers. Please stop me.

You gotta stop. I do this from time to time, but I really just try to start my day out healthy and then other healthy choices are easier throughout the day. Remember you can't really change what you already ate, but you can choose to make good choice about what you are going to eat.
  • benefielddan
    Options
    Each day is a new day. Just don't let todays actions affect what you do tomorrow. Go to bed early tonite to prevent additional bingeing.