Pizza legally now a vegetable, thank you Congress!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sadly for some children the school lunches and breakfasts may be the only food they get all day. It's frustrating to think this type of "food" is what these children who already have poverty against them will be provided.

When the USDA proposal was first made to Congress I posted about it and was slammed by MANY MFP members because people thought it was a bad idea. It was the suggestion of limiting starchy vegetables (potatoes in particular) to 2 servings per week and requiring that they be replaced with less starchy vegetables such as broccoli that drew the most fire. The requirement for limiting potatoes is based on the fact that many school systems offer french fries every day. The proposal would limit that 2 days max.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So what, they count it as a vegetable, that doesn't mean YOU have to count it was a vegetable in your house, does it?

Congress isn't forcing your kid to eat pizza twice a day every day. They have to allow two choices for food for school lunch anyway - and, as most of us have learned on MFP, it's a lot about portion control, too. Teach your kid to make the healthiest choice possible and stop when they're full.

There are many children that rely on free school lunches. In America, our tax dollars pay for the school lunch program so we have every right to complain about what regulations are placed on them. If you want to change the laws, write your representatives and make yourself heard.
  • Kryontz
    Kryontz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok, pizza as a vegetable is a bit ridiculous, but this whole thing started because pizza was going to be banned due to the new USDA guidelines. I personally don't feel the government should have anything to do with telling people what they can and can't eat....(yes they should still make sure it is safe to eat). If you don't want your kids eating pizza at lunch send them with something else or teach them to make smart choices.....I'm assuming pizza wouldn't ever be the only option.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Congress can classify turds as fruit, but in the end, your own common sense should prevail.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    chocolate has antioxidants. it should be a fruit.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Congress can classify turds as fruit, but in the end, your own common sense should prevail.

More common sense! Keep it coming!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    chocolate has antioxidants. it should be a fruit.
    Hey, and doesn't vodka come from potatoes? That makes YOU a walking veggie :laugh:

Seriously though people...are you expecting schools (or Congress) to provide your kids with their nutritional values, or are you doing your part to teach them the right things to eat? It would be nice if there was more education about nutritional values in schools, but in the end, you chose to have kids, so its your job to feed them properly and instill healthy habits.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Ok, pizza as a vegetable is a bit ridiculous, but this whole thing started because pizza was going to be banned due to the new USDA guidelines. I personally don't feel the government should have anything to do with telling people what they can and can't eat....(yes they should still make sure it is safe to eat). If you don't want your kids eating pizza at lunch send them with something else or teach them to make smart choices.....I'm assuming pizza wouldn't ever be the only option.

kids arent known for making the best decisions. i dont think we should give them unhealthy options at schools. certainly not pizza, french fries, cake, cookies, candy and the like.

companies shouldnt be getting richer by serving crap to our kids at schools.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ok, pizza as a vegetable is a bit ridiculous, but this whole thing started because pizza was going to be banned due to the new USDA guidelines.

Where did you hear that? Can you provide a link to the source?

From what I've read, the USDA proposal to Congress sought to limit how often some foods could be served, set standards for how often some must be served and provided definitions for what constituted 'serviings". But I never read anything about banning any foods.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

kids arent known for making the best decisions. i dont think we should give them unhealthy options at schools. certainly not pizza, french fries, cake, cookies, candy and the like.

While I half-agree with the second point, I fully agree that government shouldn't be telling people what they can and cannot have. Lets face it..a lot of adults aren't known for making the best decisions either. When these kids get out into the real world..the unhealthy options will still be in their face every day. Isn't it more important to teach them to CHOOSE healthy options through education (at home as well as in schools) instead of government regulations? How many of these kids probably go home to McDonalds or take-out pizza for dinner on a regular basis?
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    So what, they count it as a vegetable, that doesn't mean YOU have to count it was a vegetable in your house, does it?

Congress isn't forcing your kid to eat pizza twice a day every day. They have to allow two choices for food for school lunch anyway - and, as most of us have learned on MFP, it's a lot about portion control, too. Teach your kid to make the healthiest choice possible and stop when they're full.
    There are many children that rely on free school lunches. In America, our tax dollars pay for the school lunch program so we have every right to complain about what regulations are placed on them. If you want to change the laws, write your representatives and make yourself heard.
    Never said you didn't have a right to complain. I said teach your kids to make smart choices. Just beacuse the lunch is free doens't make the choice any different, I pay for my kids to eat the same food that the goverment pays for other kids to eat. They have the same options. People are treating this like the free lunch kids have to eat big macs with extra mayo and an extra large side of fries while the paying kids get to choose from turkey burgers and salads lol.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    When these kids get out into the real world..the unhealthy options will still be in their face every day. Isn't it more important to teach them to CHOOSE healthy options through education (at home as well as in schools) instead of government regulations? How many of these kids probably go home to McDonalds or take-out pizza for dinner on a regular basis?

If parent are not choosing nutritious meals and teaching proper nutrition at home, how do you propose the children learn to CHOOSE healthy options if they also get crap served at school?

The question is not really whether there should be govt regulation of school lunches. There is regulation now. The question is whether the regulations should be changed for the better, or our representatives should continue to bow to the lobbyists for the crap food industry so they can continue to line their pockets with our tax dollars. The govt is already involved. The school lunch program is and always has been run by the govt.
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options

At my kid's school I can put restrictions on what they can eat. Each food item is designated with a green, yellow, or red color code and I can limit their choices to only green or only green or yellow or I can also limit them to just one red food per day. The possible restrictions are endless.

I can also go online and see exactly what my kids eat each day.

I don't have any restrictions on my kid's account but I have told them they are not allowed to get potato chips. There have been times where I have allowed them to get chips for a day because they brought home a good report card or similar.

I don't think kids are getting fat eating school lunches. They're getting fat eating the crap their parents feed them when they get home.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Never said you didn't have a right to complain. I said teach your kids to make smart choices. Just beacuse the lunch is free doens't make the choice any different, I pay for my kids to eat the same food that the goverment pays for other kids to eat. They have the same options. People are treating this like the free lunch kids have to eat big macs with extra mayo and an extra large side of fries while the paying kids get to choose from turkey burgers and salads lol.

You are misunderstanding my point. The parents of kids who are paying for lunch have the money to pack them a nutritious lunch if they don't want them being served french fries everyday. The kids who rely on the school lunches have no option other than the govt provided lunches.

And many who can afford to offer alternatives would like the convenience of having their children buy a nutritious lunch at school so they did not have to spend time preparing and packing a lunch every day just to make sure their children get proper nutrition.

If all schools offered healthy options most days, there wouldn't be a need for the proposed legislation. There are communities that have taken strides to improve their school lunch program, but sadly they are currently the minority.
  • JStarnes
    Options
    You are misunderstanding my point. The parents of kids who are paying for lunch have the money to pack them a nutritious lunch if they don't want them being served french fries everyday. The kids who rely on the school lunches have no option other than the govt provided lunches.

And many who can afford to offer alternatives would like the convenience of having their children buy a nutritious lunch at school so they did not have to spend time preparing and packing a lunch every day just to make sure their children get proper nutrition.

If all schools offered healthy options most days, there wouldn't be a need for the proposed legislation. There are communities that have taken strides to improve their school lunch program, but sadly they are currently the minority.
    And, you're missing my point. Congress isn't forcing your (or anybodys) child to eat pizza twice a day every day. I go back to my original opinion - Teach your kid to choose the healthiest option, and to stop eating when they're full. End. Of. Story. The gov't provides at least 2 choices, not to mention the sides - people are treating this like the free lunch kids only get one choice and that's just not true. And I might get slammed for this - but when I got free lunch as a kid, my parents were thankful I was being fed, thankful that I had the option to EAT, and didn't focus so much on what I was eating.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    When these kids get out into the real world..the unhealthy options will still be in their face every day. Isn't it more important to teach them to CHOOSE healthy options through education (at home as well as in schools) instead of government regulations? How many of these kids probably go home to McDonalds or take-out pizza for dinner on a regular basis?

If parent are not choosing nutritious meals and teaching proper nutrition at home, how do you propose the children learn to CHOOSE healthy options if they also get crap served at school?

The question is not really whether there should be govt regulation of school lunches. There is regulation now. The question is whether the regulations should be changed for the better, or our representatives should continue to bow to the lobbyists for the crap food industry so they can continue to line their pockets with our tax dollars. The govt is already involved. The school lunch program is and always has been run by the govt.
    I don't claim to have a solution..unfortunately, unless the parents and the schools are teaching kids to make the right nutritional choices, there's a lot of kids that are doomed out there. Even if they're getting the best of everything at school, then going home to a $5 pizza or McDonalds happy meal every night for dinner, they aren't going to learn anything from anyone. The childhood obesity rate is out of control now, and its not just the schools that are to blame (because the parents aren't giving them any direction or examples to live by either). I guess I just don't like the idea of the government 'controlling' the options, and think educating them about how their nutritional intake effects their health in the long run is a better option than saying you can't have this, but you can have that. I would hope there are better choices than pizza in the schools that kids can have and that parents are serving them good things at home, but we all know that's not the case. Its very sad!
  • bcattoes
    Options

And, you're missing my point. Congress isn't forcing your (or anybodys) child to eat pizza twice a day every day. I go back to my original opinion - Teach your kid to choose the healthiest option, and to stop eating when they're full. End. Of. Story. The gov't provides at least 2 choices, not to mention the sides - people are treating this like the free lunch kids only get one choice and that's just not true. And I might get slammed for this - but when I got free lunch as a kid, my parents were thankful I was being fed, thankful that I had the option to EAT, and didn't focus so much on what I was eating.

If I'm a poor working parent who must rely on a free school lunch for my kids, should I be glad and thankful that my hard earned tax dollars are being used to feel my child food lacking in nutrition? Or should I be unhappy and want the standards to require healthy food?

There are many schools that rarely offer a nutrition option. It's not as if the choice is a grilled chicken breast with a green veg or pizza. More often breakfast options are a super donut or pancake and sausage on a stick, and lunch is french fires with either pizza or a taco.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Congress declared pizza a vegetable in the USA

I kid you not.

Are we done taking food advice from government yet?:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45306416/ns/today-today_health/t/pizza-vegetable-congress-says-yes/#.TsY7qFawXAg

Food companies that produce frozen pizzas for schools, the salt industry and potato growers requested the changes, and some conservatives in Congress say the federal government shouldn't be telling children what to eat.

I imagine this is the same lobbying that went on to decide the food plate and food pyramid, which is just making us fatter, instead of providing real health.

To prove they are right, and pizza is a vegetable, I planted one in my garden, the rare "vege-deluxe" heirloom version, right under my twinkee tree, which is now considered a fruit.
    There is now a new food pyramid don't ya know. The origional fads in the 80's were actually a big ol honkin expiriment done in the 80's that only made us fatter.
    http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/food/pyramid.html
    Food guide pyramid is now a plate!
  • JStarnes
    Options
    You should teach your child to make the healthiest choice possible and to stop eating when they're full....that costs nothing.

I'm not disagreeing that pizza sauce shouldn't be counted as a vegetable - I absolutely think that's crazy, or that the schools are giving unhealthy options - I don't want my kid eating french fries every single meal either. But at the end of the day, it's food...in a childs stomach whose parents can't afford it. I'm just saying that people are acting like the free lunch kids are forced to eat one specific unhealthy option when that's not the case. Schools may not offer a healthy vs unhealthy option, but they have to provide 2 options (maybe one is pizza and the other is a burger, or tacos and spaghetti, etc)...teach your kid to choose the lesser of 2 evils. And if the only food a kid is getting is school breakfast and school lunch - chances are good that's not going to make them obese in and of itself.

Be unhappy, write your congressman, lobby and protest for better standards, but also be realistic and thankful these children are eating anything at all. I'm sure there are countries around the world that'd KILL for their kids to have the crappy food our kids are getting.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

The part about making tomato paste a vegetable just sounds foolish. Sometimes I think this country is so embroiled in its own bureaucracy that it can't see beyond its own nose.
    Because preliminary research has shown an inverse correlation between consumption of tomatoes and cancer risk, lycopene has been considered a potential agent for prevention of some types of cancers, particularly prostate cancer. However, this area of research and the relationship with prostate cancer have been deemed insufficient of evidence for health claim approval by the US Food and Drug Administration (see below under Antioxidant properties and potential health benefits).
    It's on wikopedia look it up.