going grocery shopping give me healthy food ideas

Options
i always buy tons of fruit and veggies. can u guys help me with some good food i can buy for this week to help with my healthy eating and weight loss.. TIA ! !

Replies

• brunzella92
    brunzella92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you like hummus? I eat that with carrots and it's very filling. Also the 25 calorie Swiss Miss is good. Baked tostitos with ff sourcream mixed with Newmans Pineapple Salsa is to die for :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Some of the things on my list (aside from lots of fresh fruits/veggies):

low/no sodium added beans
    brown rice
    whole wheat pasta
    whole grain bread
    whole grain high fiber/low carb tortillas
    lean meats (mostly chicken breast and salmon filets for us)
    light string cheese
    non-fat Greek yogurt (I prefer plain so I can use it instead of sour cream or mix in a little vanilla and honey to eat as a snack)
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, go there...they have a ton of healthy eats and reccommendations!!!
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    aside from fruits and veggies i always pick up frozen chicken breast, canned chicken, tuna, salmon packs (like tuna), eggs, sour cream, flatbread with flaxseed, popcorn kernels, and just picked up wasa crackers for the first time.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Do you like hummus? I eat that with carrots and it's very filling. Also the 25 calorie Swiss Miss is good. Baked tostitos with ff sourcream mixed with Newmans Pineapple Salsa is to die for :)

I so want to try the hummus ... but for some reason I'm a scared that I will hate it more than liver...

Why does it have a bum rep??
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I really enjoy eggs in the morning with some cheese and salsa. I also make breakfast sandwiches with Weight watchers flat bread, egg and turkey bacon or veggie sausage. Great filling breakfast. Protein is key I have found to weight loss and feeling full for a long time.

Hope that helps a bit!! Happy shopping!
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    hummus
    dry roasted/natural almonds
    almond milk
    whole wheat bread
    fruit :D
    oatmeal
    craisins (for salads and oatmeal topping)
    natural peanut butter or other nut spreads
    VitaTops if ya haven't tried em, do it! so good. In your frozen section.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm eating green pepper strips with hummus as I type. I have a friend who HATES hummus. I think the reason it has a bad reputation (according to her) is texture. The taste is really good. And they have flavors like garlic and peppers, stuff like that.
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    glad you said vita-tops ive heard of them and been wanting to try them but never remember when im at the grocery..
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I'm eating green pepper strips with hummus as I type. I have a friend who HATES hummus. I think the reason it has a bad reputation (according to her) is texture. The taste is really good. And they have flavors like garlic and peppers, stuff like that.

I think a lot of people just don't really know WHAT hummus is, so they are scared to try it.

It's just mashed beans with garlic and olive oil and sometimes other flavors. And it's delicious.
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about lean meats, pastas, etc. You may also want to rely heavily on the perimeter of the store and avoid going into the aisles too much because the "healthier" foods tend to be on the outside.

*Do you have a blender? I swear by making smoothies now, so I recommend not only buying your regular produce, but frozen fruits and vegetables (they keep longer and there's no pressure to eat everything up at once). Unsweetened almond milk has also become my bff because it's low cal/fat, and offers a really healthy base for my smoothies.

*Lean ground turkey is a great option for meat because you can do so much with it (chili, meatballs, burgers, etc).

*Canned vegetables like corn, chick peas, and black beans are really good to have on hand. These are all filling.

*I would just be careful about buying pre-prepared foods because they pack calories and sodium.

Happy Shopping!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    tthank you for all the great ideas! ! !! Love it!
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hummus is one of my favorite foods. My bodybuilding finacee is in love with it because of its high nutritional content. I like to splurge and eat if with a serving of pita chips. But it is also good with salad and raw veggies. Baba Ghanouj is another delicious middle eastern food made from eggplant with a similar texture.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Okay - you all have convinced me - I'm buying some when I shop this weekend.
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Okay - you all have convinced me - I'm buying some when I shop this weekend.

Yay! I fell in love with hummus when I traveled in the Middle East. You can actually do a lot with it, including eating it on a sandwich or as a dip with vegetables. I've also made my own pita chips by cutting whole wheat pita and baking them. Voila... you've got a low fat snack!
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you end up buying hummus, try the Sabra brand! It's the best one, toasted pepper flavor is the best. I used to hate hummus and I can't live without it now:)
  • Two2Love
    Two2Love Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Another vote for hummus! I agree, Sabra is a great brand - very smooth and creamy. I like to dip red and/or orange bell peppers in it.

Other things I frequent:

n/f plain greek yogurt (I add honey)
    string cheese
    black beans, avocado, salsa over shredded lettuce
    tomatoes/cucumber/balsamic vinaigrette
    raw nuts
    whole wheat noodles or egg noodles tossed w/ olive oil and minced garlic (I always have a jar of this on hand), sprinkled with fresh parm.

Less healthy but lower calorie treats...

I love Tostitos Light. When we go out for Mexican, I take a serving size with me. :)
    I also like those little jello chocolate snack cups and light whipped cream when I need a sweet fix!