What is your highest heart rate

Options

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Mine would be 188, but I have gone as far as 175 happily. I don't really want to go above.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    177 according to the treadmill. Never owned a HRM. 156 is a normal treadmill HR for me and I try to maintain that for my weight training as well.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You probably shouldn't when you're only working on 500 cals a day... just sayin.
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    Sorry. That was for teagin2002.
  • teagin2002
    Options

I am not on HCG any more, I am done and have been for a few months.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My 'max' by that calculation is 179, and I always heard aiming for 70% of that number is where you'd want to be to get into the "fat burning zone"...

I've seen my highest around 170, but that's on the gym machine, not my own HRM. Usually after sprinting, I have to slow down to take the reading, and by then its dropped down....
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    I am sorry to absolutely continue to disagree....but. The average person could not sustain 91% of their real Maximum Heart Rate for anything close to 20 Minutes. I have been running marathons and Ironman triathlons for over 20 years and have trained countless people and I can tell you I have never met anyone, except the times I actually rode with the US Postal cycling team, that could sustain that high of a heart rate for 20 minutes. It just doesn't make sense that it would be the recommendation for the average fitness person, who most likely could not go above 80% of their max heart rate.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Agree to disagree. I am able to, and do on a regular basis, but perhaps that is not the standard for all.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    The key thing to understand is that whatever numbers you are seeing, you need to do some exercise not just focused on one heart rate number. You should do some workouts at 60-70% of your max for longer duration, some at 70-80% for medium duration and some intervals. That is the basis of a cardio program that will continue to work for you. Varying your intensities, using different energy stores, (fat and carbs) is the key to contunuing to acheive results. So don't just focus on one number. Focus on doing some work in a variety of intensity ranges. Its how high level athletes train, and its how the general fitenss enthusiast will get the best results as well.
  • zumbawhit
    Options

I am not on HCG any more, I am done and have been for a few months.

Cool! Well then pump away!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I got up to 199! on my sprint finish of Park Run last week, mine is meant to be 195.

I honest;y thought my heart was going to pop out my chest, felt good though! lol
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    The key thing to understand is that whatever numbers you are seeing, you need to do some exercise not just focused on one heart rate number. You should do some workouts at 60-70% of your max for longer duration, some at 70-80% for medium duration and some intervals. That is the basis of a cardio program that will continue to work for you. Varying your intensities, using different energy stores, (fat and carbs) is the key to contunuing to acheive results. So don't just focus on one number. Focus on doing some work in a variety of intensity ranges. Its how high level athletes train, and its how the general fitenss enthusiast will get the best results as well.

Completely agree. Varied intensities and intervals are the key!
  • teagin2002
    Options
    I like interval training, I find myself sweating more. I like to sweat I feel wonderful after sweating in an exercise then taking a dip in the pool, and I live in south Florida so the weather is perfect for it now.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    The key thing to undestand for everyone that is focusing on their number, is that you should be focused on varying your intensities. A successful cardio program is build on working out in a variety of target zones. Some work done at 65-75% for longer duration, some exercise at 75-80% for mid duration, and some intervals above that. Varying your intensities is what leads to success, and will ensure your body doesn't adapt to your static training and not improve anymore. Its the way athletes train to get better, and its the way everyday fitness enthusiasts can get the most our of their workouts, by using different energy sources at different heart rate intensities.....
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Sorry....double posted.....
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    I think you just posted the same thing twice. LOL!
  • yeroc39
    Options
    For oooogravy, you now have an even more accurate Max to work your numbers off of. That is the best way to find your working, or attainable max to use.......
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    HA! Nevermind!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and have hit 193 for a minute or two. Some people's HRs just run hot, too--as soon as I start running at all I am in the low 160s, which I can sustain for hours. I am a regular exerciser and have run four marathons, so it's not just a low fitness level. The 220-age is just a quick-n-dirty guideline to give you an idea of where you should be. Every individual has his own true max.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    70% of 180 is only 126. Does that mean I run too fast to get optimum results out of my workouts by keeping my HR around 150 ??
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    70% of 180 is only 126. Does that mean I run too fast to get optimum results out of my workouts by keeping my HR around 150 ??
    Not at all...above 70% puts you into the "cardio training" or endurance range, which seems perfect for a runner,. If I understand correctly (and I'm no expert), 70% is the optimum for fat burning or 'heart health' range, so my guess would be this is a good target rate for someone starting out (or starting over) and looking to improve their overall health.

According to this calculator..the formula varies by gender and activity level..interesting

http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.shtml