Why protein powder?

Options
UpEarly
UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
I enjoy looking at other folks' food diaries for ideas and inspiration. It seems like protein powder is really popular with many, many people. Some people are having substantial servings of it 2-3 times a day.

Can someone explain to me the benefits of the protein powder? Why not just eat some chicken breast, or lean beef or egg whites? Is it lower in calories? Is it 'better' protein? Does it taste better? Is it a convenience thing?

Drinking protein beverages doesn't sound particularly appealing to me. Am I missing something?

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It's easy and instant. I'd much rather have a piece of chicken or fish, but a protein shake is just so much more convenient.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why, Many people have trouble reaching their protein goals with "normal" food and need to supplement to get there.
  • MBorg
    MBorg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally, as a vegetarian, the chicken and beef are not viable options for protein. And while I mostly eat beans and grains, sometimes after a workout a protein shake is the quickest and easiest way to get my protein.

And who am I kidding, even when it's not after a workout and I don't feel like cooking something, I'll whip up a quick shake with protein powder.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's just easy. I'm not going to bring a chicken breast to school to snack on...
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    It's just an easy way to get protein. When you diet, you lose fat and muscle mass both. If you'd like to keep the muscle mass (as much as possible), the best strategy is to eat a ton of proteins and lift heavy (or so I've been told and so I've read).

I've tried getting my protein from "normal foods" and I can't get enough of it easily without significantly increasing my calorie intake... unless I switched to a low carb diet, which I refuse to do 'cause my brain likes glucose too much. So I now drink whey protein. I actually like it. It's just thick chocolate milk. A little on the slimy side. But still good.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Because proatmeal tastes way better than chicktmeal.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Because proatmeal tastes way better than chicktmeal.

^^ I have proatmeal every morning lol
  • UpEarly
    Options
    OK... these answers make sense!

I met with a registered dietitian about a year ago and she gave me this rule of thumb:

"As a general rule, between 10 percent and 15 percent of your total calories should come from protein. So, if you consume 2,000 calories per day, at least 200 should come from protein, or about 50 grams. You should try to eat around one gram of protein per one kilogram of body weight, or around 0.4 grams per pound. An easier way to figure this out in your head is to take your weight, divide it in half, and subtract 10. The total will be the number of grams of protein you should consume each day. So, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should eat about 50 grams of protein. "

When I saw all the protein powder people here were consuming, I started wondering if I was missing something! I usually come out between 70-90 grams of protein in a day. My body seems to like that and I feel really good overall, so maybe I'll pass on the protein powder for now. :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/sports_health/nutrition/protein.aspx

Protein: How Much Do I Need?Protein is needed in the diet to build and repair damaged muscles. However, eating a high protein diet (more than 2 grams per kilogram of body weight) does not necessarily lead to larger muscles. In fact, if you eat more protein than you need, your body will simply use it as an energy source or store it as fat.

An athlete requires 1.1 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight each day, depending on the type and intensity of the sport he or she is involved in.

For example, a 150-pound athlete (150 divided by 2.2 = 68 kilograms) requires 75-136 grams of protein each day (68 x 1.1 = 75 grams; 68 x 2.0 = 136 grams).

The following is a guideline that can be used to determine how much protein an athlete requires:
    Competitive adult: 1.4-2.0 gm/kg body weight
    Teenage athlete: 1.8-2.0 gm/kg body weight
    Strength athlete: 1.4-1.8 gm/kg body weight
    Endurance athlete: 1.2-1.4 gm/kg body weight
    Maximum usable amount for adults: 2.0 gm/kg body weight
    Are protein or amino acid supplements needed?
    No. You do not need to spend money on protein powders, pills or special supplements to add protein to your diet. Protein supplements simply provide extra calories – they do not provide a "magical formula" to increase muscle strength. Regular foods can provide protein more economically than protein supplements.

Amino acid supplements do not help you gain muscle and they can actually cause an amino acid imbalance in your body. Amino acids (the building blocks of protein) are naturally found in foods in balanced amounts.

The amount of protein or amino acid in expensive powders and pills is less than the amount you might easily get from food. For example, you have to eat 5 tablespoons of one popular protein powder to get the same amount of protein in 3 1/2 ounces of tuna.

What happens if I take too much protein?
    Excess protein should be avoided. Not only is it not shown to be beneficial, but it can also be harmful to your body.

Too much protein may cause:
    diarrhea and an upset stomach
    dehydration--protein requires more water to break down and digest
    calcium loss from bones (particularly harmful to women)
    kidney damage
    Protein content of select foods
    There is some protein in most of the foods that we eat. High-protein foods include meats and milk, but even breads, potatoes and vegetables contain some protein. This table lists the amount of protein in some common foods and demonstrates how easy it is to meet your daily protein needs.
  • heatzero
    Options
    i bought whey protein because it was on sale and everyone was getting it. it tastes ok with water and i feel more buff. it does help you feel full.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    OK... these answers make sense!

I met with a registered dietitian about a year ago and she gave me this rule of thumb:

"As a general rule, between 10 percent and 15 percent of your total calories should come from protein. So, if you consume 2,000 calories per day, at least 200 should come from protein, or about 50 grams. You should try to eat around one gram of protein per one kilogram of body weight, or around 0.4 grams per pound. An easier way to figure this out in your head is to take your weight, divide it in half, and subtract 10. The total will be the number of grams of protein you should consume each day. So, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should eat about 50 grams of protein. "

When I saw all the protein powder people here were consuming, I started wondering if I was missing something! I usually come out between 70-90 grams of protein in a day. My body seems to like that and I feel really good overall, so maybe I'll pass on the protein powder for now. :-)

I've read to maintain and build muscle you should be eating 1 gram of protien for every pound of lean body mass. That is about 120 grams for me. I think the 15% idea is out of date.
  • UpEarly
    Options
    I've read to maintain and build muscle you should be eating 1 gram of protien for every pound of lean body mass. That is about 120 grams for me. I think the 15% idea is out of date.

I just did some more research, and found that the CDC says between 10%-35%... which is a pretty broad range! (of course, there are all kinds of varying viewpoints and recommendations on the internet) I went through my diary and did a little math. It looks like I'm averaging just under 20% of my calories from protein.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't just rely on the above information. Do some real research yourself on protein and sports nutrition from multiple sources and you will see why protein powders/shakes are a good thing(and even superior for post exercise to meat) for people that are trying to build muscle, especially while trying to reduce body fat with a caloric deficit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I just did some more research, and found that the CDC says between 10%-35%... which is a pretty broad range! (of course, there are all kinds of varying viewpoints and recommendations on the internet) I went through my diary and did a little math. It looks like I'm averaging just under 20% of my calories from protein.
    Some are more reliable than others. The CDC is a good source. And no matter how many people here will argue against the freaking Cleveland Clinic, it is also a reliable source.

People tend to fall for advertising and think the more protein, the better. Protein is good and necessary, but like all good and necessary things, there are superior and inferior sources and there is such a thing as too much.

FYI, I'm also a vegetarian and have no problem getting plenty of protein from food.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options