What is your highest heart rate

Options
13»

Replies

• yeroc39
    Options
    To WillPower. First question I would ask is how did you determine your Max HR>....
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My HRM watch did report back once as 228 - but assumed that was just a glitch - i am just returning to exercise after an 18 month gap so am just starting at 30 mins cardio 30 mins weights 3 times a week - average today was154 with a max of 175 - but it recorded it all in the fit burning zone. I thought it wasn't so much the highest rate - but how quick the recovery is? my heart rate does go quite high - on the cross trainer etc - but drops from 160 to 140 in about 90 seconds - I have seen it go up to 180-190 - but it drops very quickly if I ease off.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    You are correct. Its not about how high you can get it, but getting it into a range that is in line with the benefits you are looking for. And using recovery heart rate is a very good tool. If you 20 beats in 45-60 seconds, that's pretty good.

And the 228 was probably either interference, or if it happened at the start of your workout, it was most likely a contact issue.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    202 at 40 years of age. My legs felt like lead and I couldn't breathe, but I didn't feel like throwing up.
  • jacobhammond
    Options
    Highest recorded was 195 sustained for a few minutes on an exercise bike at the gym. Lately, I can hold low 180s with decent sustainability on elliptical/bike but it's hard work (naturally). I'm 28 years old, btw.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    im 30 and highest heart rate was 186 is that too much?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    During my licensing/training, we are taught to tell our members (YMCA) this:

The aerobic training recommendations:
    * Frequency: 3-5 days/week
    * Intensity: 91% MHR
    *Duration: 20-60 minutes aerobic activity

That make sense? To get your 91% the equation would be (220-age) x desired percentage (.91) = THR (target heart rate)
    The reason we say 20+ on the minutes is because you don't actually start burning fat until a activity has been maintained for a minimum of 20 minutes (something most people don't know).

So, whatever your 91% of Max Heart Rate is, you should do a minimum of 20 minutes at that. Of course, everyone is different, but that is the recommendation.

That's pretty crazy, I don't think anyone can sustain 91% of their MHR for more than a few minutes. 20-60mins? No way. I see that you posted that you can, if true then that is impressive. For me that would be doing 180 for 20-60 minutes, that is just beyond my comprehension! You must be in incredible shape.

Your statement about not burning any fat until you've done something for 20 minutes is almost equally as crazy. So if I walk for 20 mins I start to burn fat at that point, but if I sprint as fast as I can going uphill for 19 minutes I don't burn any fat?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    im 30 and highest heart rate was 186 is that too much?

No, no such thing as too much really. My supposed MHR is 188 using the formula (I'm 32) and I can hit upper 190s with ease during HIIT. 197 is my max that I've seen if I remember, and I'm sure I could hit 200 if I tried.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    During my licensing/training, we are taught to tell our members (YMCA) this:

The aerobic training recommendations:
    * Frequency: 3-5 days/week
    * Intensity: 91% MHR
    *Duration: 20-60 minutes aerobic activity

That make sense? To get your 91% the equation would be (220-age) x desired percentage (.91) = THR (target heart rate)
    The reason we say 20+ on the minutes is because you don't actually start burning fat until a activity has been maintained for a minimum of 20 minutes (something most people don't know).

So, whatever your 91% of Max Heart Rate is, you should do a minimum of 20 minutes at that. Of course, everyone is different, but that is the recommendation.

That's pretty crazy, I don't think anyone can sustain 91% of their MHR for more than a few minutes. 20-60mins? No way. I see that you posted that you can, if true then that is impressive. For me that would be doing 180 for 20-60 minutes, that is just beyond my comprehension! You must be in incredible shape.

Your statement about not burning any fat until you've done something for 20 minutes is almost equally as crazy. So if I walk for 20 mins I start to burn fat at that point, but if I sprint as fast as I can going uphill for 19 minutes I don't burn any fat?

Again, all these facts are quoted directly from my paperwork in training with the YMCA of the USA.