First NSV.....and I have mixed feelings...

Options
Well, I've been losing weight for a little over a month now and I finally had my first NSV on Wednesday! (well, technically it was Saturday) I went into Lane Bryant on Saturday to buy an outfit for a wedding and I was trying on dress pants. First I picked up the size I would normally wear and they were too BIG! So I had to buy pants a size smaller :) Well, Wednesday morning I had to dress up for a seminar for work and I put those pants on and they fit extremely loose! YAY! (Except for the fact I just spent almost $60 on a pair of pants that I prob won't be able to wear much longer) I then put on a shirt that I had bought a while back that fit but was a little snug around my tummy and it was also too big! I had to wear it Wednesday because I had nothing else but I can't wear it again because it looked way too sloppy. (that was also a brand new shirt)

I have mixed feelings because those were both brand new and I don't have the $$ to go out and buy new clothes every week. So I think that I am going to wear the pants until they literally fall off of me and from now on, shop at gently used stores for clothes while I'm losing weight!

Replies

• ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have this problem also and I keep putting off buying new clothes because of the cost. The clothes I did buy are now too big for me and it feels like I wasted money but I’m going to take whatever clothes I can to have tailored... maybe you can do that too and save a bit of money.

Good JOB!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. Smh...
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great job on loosing the weight! I totally understand where you are coming from, I dont think any of us have the money to be buying new clothes every week lol. I would do just what you said shop gently used or maybe only buy 1 dress with a belted waist so you can adjust it as you go. Good luck on continuing your loss!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Second hand stores are great when your losing weight.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Goodwill (upscale neighborhoods) are a lifesaver.
  • kantone999
    Options
    Second hand shops. You can get nice clothes for not much $$$ while you're shrinking. I get my pants altered 'cause they're too expensive to just ditch. My tailor charges $14/pair but dropped it to $8 if I brought them all in at once. Belt the tops.
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    you could also try to sell some of your old clothes to second hand shops and make some of your money back.
  • TazzyDB
    TazzyDB Posts: 224
    Options
    I have learned through this journey that consignment shops are my friend! I am the same as you ---> I hate spending the money and then being able to wear the clothes for such a small period of time.

Major congrats on the NSV! Very nice.....
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss that led to the NSV! I can totally relate to the clothing vs money issue. Consignment shops and 2nd had stores are great, also look online. Many stores like Kohl"s have pretty decent clearance sections and you can sometimes find discounts that apply to the clearance section making it even better.

Also don't be afraid to talk to friends and family. Somebody might have clothes to pass down to you that they can't wear anymore and just haven't gotten rid of yet. My best friend got an entire new wardrobe thanks to my diet as we used to be the same size she got a ton of hand me downs. Now as I shrink out of stuff it's going to other friends who used to be smaller than me!
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Too bad there isn't a "library " to get our clothes at while we do this.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!
    Could you maybe find a tailor that could take the pants in for you? That way you can get a bit more use out of them. And if the shirt is way too big you can always pass off to a friend that could wear it, or sell it on ebay or something.

Keep up the good work!!
  • cellofish
    cellofish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had to take in almost every pair of pants I own. Shirts on the other hand are really hard to alter. Taking in pants is very fast and easy and they can last 2-3 sizes by doing it. Good luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    thrift stores and altering clothes saved my $$ as I shrunk. Not worth it to invest in a size you're only passing through.
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What a nice problem to have though.

Good job.
  • Faythee
    Faythee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I sell clothes on Ebay and then use those funds in my account to buy off of Ebay. It's like trading. Works especially well with jeans as you can often find your favorite ones in a size smaller.
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have become a big fan of Ross and TJ Maxx because I can supplement my work wardrobe pretty cheaply there as I continue to lose.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!