Too scared to look...

Options
Okay...I've been on MFP for about a month now and for the first time in a LONG time, I'm pretty good about myself (progress wise). I noticed this morning, when I put my jeans on (which were fresh out of the dryer), I didn't have to do the dreaded squats once I got them on to loosen them up so that I could breathe (you know what I'm talking about...). Looking in the mirror, I'm starting to see a difference and I'm pretty excited about it...it's also helping to keep me eating clean.

HOWEVER...I'm SO scared to get on the scale to check my weight. I'm scared that once I get on it and peek down through cautiously squinted eyes, I'll either see an increase or no change in the numbers. I know that we lose inches before pounds, but to see no progress (forget about gaining!) would completely leave me feeling frustrated, depressed, and defeated. I've been through this before and this is exactly where/how I end up on the yo-yo train.

Should I give it a try or leave it alone...?

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!

ps. i hate doing those squats!! :)
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    do what works for you ...if it's going to discourage you (and you're obviously making great progress...congrats on no squats post dryer!) ... I wouldn't!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Jeans straight out of the dry that fit would be good enough for me - Don't worry about the number on the scale at this moment relish in the feeling of great fitting jeans!!

Great job xooxoxoxxx
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale for now if you know its going to make you frustrated/miserable.
  • haley_b_87
    Options
    Leave it alone!
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    I dread the scale myself, often think about remove it's batteries as punishment if it doesn't show me a number that I want to see. I still try to attempt it at least once a week just for tracking, I've had to start doing measuring as well, waist and hips watching for changes there also.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I feel your pain and have went through the same thing. I say try it, you may surprise yourself. I would also take measurements every 2 weeks. I know personally for the past few months I lose more inches than pounds.

If you do decide to weigh and haven't lost pounds, don't beat yourself up. Just keep on going. You know from your clothes that you are on the right track!

Good luck!
  • xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I will leave it alone for now...maybe weigh in a couple more weeks. If you can feel the difference that means you are doing something right. : )
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Focus on the jeans (whether you weigh or not)!! The clothes are more important than the numbers!! Good luck with whatever you decide!!!!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    ignore the scale...it is making my existence miserable.
  • Alycra
    Alycra Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about it don't do it.

Make sure you are looking at all this a big picture. We talk about losing weight, but it isn't just about the number on the scale. It is the fit of the jeans. It is the confidence we get. It is all of it together. If the scale scares you... put it in the closet for a month till you are comfortable with your progress for the whole picture, and the number won't have the ability to sabotage you.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    the number on the scales is not what other people see
    they see YOU they dont know the number on the scales - so dont even bother to check it
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Get on there and deal with what you see. Part of this change is getting out of denial. LOOK in the mirror. LOOK at the scale. LOOK at yourself in a picture. I spent half my life looking the other way. If the scale hasn't moved, then you need to know and adjust what you are doing. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. You're clothes are loose so you are going in the right direction. Having to tweak something doesn't make you a failure, it makes you an aggressive participant in success.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    stay away from the scale. Water weight will discourage you one day and hormone fluctuations another. Listen to your inner self that is feeling like she wants to go out and be seen!
    I wouldn't avoid it too long, however, because it is part of the overal picture.
    Get back on the scale when you are ready to face it with the perspective of it not having final authority on your health assessment.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I will leave it alone for now...maybe weigh in a couple more weeks. If you can feel the difference that means you are doing something right. : )

Agree!! You are doing something right, Whats on the scale is less important than how you are feeling in those jeans! Soak up that happy / positive feelings of fresh jeans out of a dryer feeling. :smile: That is an awesome feeling when you know you have lost some inches!

Good Luck!
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! What a great, supportive group of "pals" you all are!! It's wonderful to see all of the diverse advice and opinions, and I appreciate each and every one of them!
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Love that!
  • ljteems
    Options
    Progress isn't only measured by weight...it is measured by inches too. With all your excersizing, you are probably gaining muscle too, which weighs more than fat...so the scale isn't completely accurate :). Congrats!!! :)
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I say stick with progress you can see. The scale can "weight". HAHA sorry couldn't resist! I got out my tape measure and it's WAY MORE my friend than my stupid scale! :) Great job!!! Only one month? Imagine a year from now! Go ahead, imagine it. It's good practice.

;) Kellie
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Screw that scale, it's a liar!!!!