smoking and weight loss...

Options
Hi

I just wondered whether anyone out there has given up smoking and NOT put on weight? I know that I would be healthier by giving up but don't want to undo all my hard work!

Replies

• Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than 20 pounds since quitting in July. You can do it!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have read that smoking can burn up to 200 calories a day if you are a regular smoker. Something about your body burning calories returning itself back to normal after each cigarette.So you could try to eat around 200 calories less or exercise to burn 200 calories extra........and taper back to normal as your body adjusts to not smoking.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I gained 20 pounds quitting. However, I think that if I had done this first, I might not have gained any. I learned a lot about myself and my nervous eating habits while on MFP. I think I might have found a better way to cope. Go to Whyquit.com and get a lot of help with quitting. I think, in comparison, quitting smoking is a bit harder than dieting, but if I can do it, anybody can. The good thing is, once it's over, it's over. It's not something you have to go through for the rest of your life. Good luck.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 10lbs after quitting cold turkey... She didn't change anything in her diet besides replacing the cigarettes with black licorice.
  • WendyWeighsIn
    WendyWeighsIn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I gained weight. I think I replaced my smoking habbit/addiction with one of eating. I have been smoke free for 6 years. Now I am battling the bulge. I am gonna win this one. I will say, My Dr did tell me a few xtra pounds are much better than smoking though.
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have read that smoking can burn up to 200 calories a day if you are a regular smoker. Something about your body burning calories returning itself back to normal after each cigarette.So you could try to eat around 200 calories less or exercise to burn 200 calories extra........and taper back to normal as your body adjusts to not smoking.

interesting!!!!!! I also need to quit!!!!!! It is harder than anything I have ever quit before. Much easier to give up food than a cig LOL
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think if you use MFP while quitting and stick to your calories goals, you should be fine. The main thing is probably to not replace the cigarettes with food. LOL Or if you do, make it carrots or celery sticks or something that doesn't have a lot of calories. LOL Quitting smoking can be so stressful and stress can make some people want to eat. If you just keep an eye on your habits and cravings, I'm sure you can successfully quit and not gain a bunch of weight. Being on MFP is a great way to keep yourself in check. And I'm sure there are lots of people who have already quit that can give some pointers on how to be successful quitting and also how to keep from gaining weight from the stress and changes in routine.

Good luck! Quitting is an awesome step toward a healthier you. :-)
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Just think of all the exercise you'll be able to do once you can breathe again! People gain weight after quitting smoking because they replace one bad habit with another, junk food. If you replace it with exercise instead, you should see an improvement!
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i took up yoga and stopped drinking alcohol, this made quitting easier for me. And I was working in a client based job and I did not want my breath and hair to smell like smoke, plain and simple. I've read somewhere that physical fitness and exercising makes quitting easier. I agree with this, because not only was i able to quit cold turkey, I also lost 20 lbs by quitting.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 7 weeks ago and haven't gained any weight. I plateaued for a week or so but have started losing again. Yes, it is good to have healthy munchies around and stay under your calories but at the same time you have to learn to get thru the urge to munch or smoke. When an urge comes on, try getting thru the urge...which can last a minute to 5 minutes. After the urge, grab a healthy snack...for me, I realized I really didn't want that or a smoke after the urge passed. It is retraining your brain that the urge isn't bad and you can get thru it without having to raid the fridge.

Best wishes and good luck!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Well, I also quit 3.5 years ago and haven't looked back since! However, I did not turn to food and still put on 10 pounds. I did not eat more nor replace one bad habit for another. That's not the case. But my body went through such a shock that it went a little all over the place, so to speak, for approx. 3-4 months. So in those 10 pounds, there was major water retention, my body was healing, it was saving energy, spending it, it was very confused. However, once I passed that phase, my body, mind and soul totally transformed itself. It's like I was reborn! No joke.

Today, I feel amazing, I look better than I have in...oh...about 25 years! LOL and those little 10 pounds are far gone. Plus an extra 15 as I ate better, worked out harder and longer.

Remember that it's different for everyone. But you don't know if you don't try ;-) Keep moving and focus on 'draining' the bad energy, stress and awful thoughts. Trust me. You won't regret it!
  • nattyclare78
    Options
    thank you all for your advice, some really positive news there! I will set my date!! (and stock up on celery lol) :)