Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Thinner = Cold All The Time?

OK, so this is my first winter being at my goal weight, a full 100 lbs lighter than I had been in years past.

I find myself being cold all the time, (especially my hands), unless I'm working out of course ;)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Does it get better over time, or do I just have to get used to it and wear warmer clothes all the time now?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    yes. weight makes a HUGE difference in your perception of temperature. i think that's one of the reasons pregnant women are always hot, lol.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    This happened to me as well. I get cold really easily and in the winter, I'm in a lot of layers. It does not get better, unfortunately, but it helps me to remember that the reason I am so cold is because I lost a lot of fat which is ultimately a better thing :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    I've lost 45lbs, and I notice the cold a lot more as well. I hope it gets better.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Yep! I wear a flannel jacket in the summer time in the office when they turn on the air conditioning.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Yes, indeed I am noticing that too. Especially my hands and feet. bump
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    One of the downsides of being thin. But you get acclimated after a while. And then, once you hit menopause, you're always hot. No middle ground!
  • I'm always cold - thin or fat.
    A few months ago I had a physical - I have an underactive thyroid and now take meds. This hasn't really helped because unless is 75 deg. my hands and feet are freezing.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Less insulation.

Layer on the sweaters and get yourself a space heater :)
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 610 Member
    I'm not to my goal weight yet but I'm 3/4 of the way there and I also find myself cold a lot of the time. However, I started adding more protein to my diet and on days where I eat more I find I am less cold. Maybe because my body is working longer to digest it? Not sure but maybe worth a shot.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    I have my heater on under my desk right now!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    This happened to me as well. I get cold really easily and in the winter, I'm in a lot of layers. It does not get better, unfortunately, but it helps me to remember that the reason I am so cold is because I lost a lot of fat which is ultimately a better thing :)

good point. I'm going to Hawaii this week. I plan on being in the water a LOT. I was there 2 years ago and 20 pounds ago. I didn't think the water was too cold then. I hope I can handle it this time. I'll just try....sigh :wink:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Add another one to the list. I just figure I'm not as well insulated as I used to be :wink: :laugh:
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    I am freezing all the time now! LOL
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    I've discovered that my warm point is 195, when I get lower than that I am cold ALL the time. I can't imagine losing 100 pounds, I think I would turn into an icicle.
    I stock up on gloves, scarves, hats, and sweaters. Around the house, I've started to wear socks, since my toes are what get the coldest. I also keep more throw blankets around for when I'm snuggling watching telly with hubby or playing video games.
    I don't know if it ever goes away. I hope so, but my mother (who had a gastric bypass 8 years ago) is still cold most of the time. Makes it easy to shop for her, she can always use more warm sweaters!
  • I have lost 35lbs, so this is will be my first winter being "thinner", and I can already tell a huge difference, usually I was comfortable around 65-70 degrees, but now I am like freezing when it's 70 degrees. It's amazing how much it changes the way we react to temperatures, haha. :-) I'd rather be colder and thinner, then bigger and hotter =]
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    A few years ago, I had an unexpected illness and was downright haggard-skinny. I found some info about thyroid and a simple fix for this -- well actually two. One, I used iodine therapy -- where I literally swabbed a little iodine onto the inside of my thigh (neck looks like you have a hicky, so don't do that) and also eating shellfish and zucchini which are all high in iodine (assuming you aren't allergic to shellfish). Also, I took capsicum capsules which should be easy to get from department store or drug store or grocery just before bed. Ah, I never felt so nice and warm! Good luck!
  • Ive always been cold natured but it definitely has magnified since losing weight. It doesnt help that my blood pressure is low (90/60). I keep my heater on in the office in the summer when others are cranking up the A/C!