DIsneyland

Options
So i am leaving for disneyland in 4 weeks from today! just wondering if there are any tips for good food choices while i am there! i wont be logging anything since going on the internet on my phone will cost me to much but im hoping with all the walking we will be doing it will make up for that !
Also does anyone know if you can bring outside food into the park? mainy for my 2 little ones so i dont have the shell out a bunch of money on snacks they wont finish!

This is also my first time going to disneyland (been to world in 2008) and we will be there for christmas wondering if anyone knows things we shouldnt miss while we are there!!

Replies

• killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    So i am leaving for disneyland in 4 weeks from today! just wondering if there are any tips for good food choices while i am there! i wont be logging anything since going on the internet on my phone will cost me to much but im hoping with all the walking we will be doing it will make up for that !
    Also does anyone know if you can bring outside food into the park? mainy for my 2 little ones so i dont have the shell out a bunch of money on snacks they wont finish!

This is also my first time going to disneyland (been to world in 2008) and we will be there for christmas wondering if anyone knows things we shouldnt miss while we are there!!

Oh man, bring food if you can, because it's OVERPRICED! Forget the calories, I can't get past the dollar signs, lol!!

I think they have lockers out front where you can store a cooler... pack a lunch if you can... Maybe just call the park and ask about food?

EDIT: I'm thinking DisneyWorld... not DisneyLand... again, maybe just call them and ask!
  • baybeecakes08
    Options

Oh man, bring food if you can, because it's OVERPRICED! Forget the calories, I can't get past the dollar signs, lol!!

I think they have lockers out front where you can store a cooler... pack a lunch if you can... Maybe just call the park and ask about food?

EDIT: I'm thinking DisneyWorld... not DisneyLand... again, maybe just call them and ask!

i have heard everything is over priced! guess thats why we saved for a while to go lol
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I live in So Cal & have been fortunate enough to have been to Disneyland more times than I can count! ;)

Don't miss Its A Small World, its all changed up for Christmas, its so adorable! If you want a good view of the Christmas Parade (including snow) most people start sitting on Main Street early (I just forget how early).

As far as bringing food in, I'm not too sure about that. I think you can bring snacks for the kiddos.

Are you going to California Adventure too? If so (and if the kids are big enough) you HAVE to go on Soarin' Over California, best ride ever!

Have fun!!!
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    I live in So Cal & have been fortunate enough to have been to Disneyland more times than I can count! ;)

Don't miss Its A Small World, its all changed up for Christmas, its so adorable! If you want a good view of the Christmas Parade (including snow) most people start sitting on Main Street early (I just forget how early).

As far as bringing food in, I'm not too sure about that. I think you can bring snacks for the kiddos.

Are you going to California Adventure too? If so (and if the kids are big enough) you HAVE to go on Soarin' Over California, best ride ever!

Have fun!!!

Yes we are going to California adventure as well . My parents are coming as well so my husband and i will be doing ride the kids are two small to go on (they are 1 and 3) so we wont miss anything !!
    we will also be doing universal studios !! ( i was there in 2006 and LOVED it was alot better then the universal in florida)
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    Options
    When I go on vacation, whether it is Disneyland or anywhere else, I try to keep my meals eaten "out" to one a day. Take food to the parks. Take refillable water bottles. I'm not sure where you are staying, but try to get a refrigerator in your room. The Disney hotels don't generally have them but you can get them (usually have to pay for it though). A hotel I liked was Embassy Suites. They have a breakfast buffet...better than most, included, plus the rooms are two room "suites" that include a fridge, microwave, sink. They also have the shuttle that takes you to the park...you can buy your ticket right there, it drops you off at the gates and costs the same as parking at the Park would.

It looks like you have small children...we would leave the park in the afternoon for nap time and then go back later. That worked really well too...another case for Embassy Suites because sleepers can be in one room and anyone else in the other.

Have fun!
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    We have annual passes to Disneyland and yes you can bring in your own food and snacks. We bring the kids snacks all the time when we go. As far as things you can't miss make sure to go on It's A Small World. It's amazing at Christmas time.
  • CookieRehab
    CookieRehab Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure they have lockers out side the park. But you can't take the food in. When I go I just leave my food in the car and come back for it at lunch. Have fun. Its all decked out for the Holidays :)
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    When I go on vacation, whether it is Disneyland or anywhere else, I try to keep my meals eaten "out" to one a day. Take food to the parks. Take refillable water bottles. I'm not sure where you are staying, but try to get a refrigerator in your room. The Disney hotels don't generally have them but you can get them (usually have to pay for it though). A hotel I liked was Embassy Suites. They have a breakfast buffet...better than most, included, plus the rooms are two room "suites" that include a fridge, microwave, sink. They also have the shuttle that takes you to the park...you can buy your ticket right there, it drops you off at the gates and costs the same as parking at the Park would.

It looks like you have small children...we would leave the park in the afternoon for nap time and then go back later. That worked really well too...another case for Embassy Suites because sleepers can be in one room and anyone else in the other.

Have fun!

we are staying at the red lion and they have a fridge in the room !! the nap idea is a great idea. my almost 1 year old get very cranky without her nap !
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    unless you get a park hopper ticket, do NOT use up a trip on California Adventure only. I had the kind of ticket that lets you into 1 park each day, and the day we wasted on California Adventure was a big disappointment. Everything is under construction or closed and so it's not enough to do on it's own.

Also, Tower of Terror is too much for little kids, and it's likely to make you barf.

you can exit and re-enter the park for food, and Downtown Disney has better food choices than inside the park, but the amount of time you eat up by leaving and returning may be worth considering. Meaning, stopping for (more expensive) stuff on the fly may cost more, but you'll be done with lunch in 20 minutes. If you need to go back to your car, leave, find food, get eaten, drive back and re-park, you're talking about lunch taking an hour and a half sized bite out of your day.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    DCA - Soarin over CA is the best, by far my favorite ride @ DCA!

Disney - Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Carribean, Haunted Mansion, Mr. Toads, Space Mountain is pretty cool

Food - you can definitely bring food in, that's what I've done many times. They have lockers about 1/2 way down main street on the right hand side. I just packed a little lunch cooler with some sandwiches and then a small backpack with granola bars and fruit. There's one restaurant over near Frontier Land that has some good veggie burgers. Everything else is run of the mill unless you want to spend the money. It's not cheap. But you do get a good walk in. I used one of those small hydration packs and just filled it with water before I left, put some granola bars, apples, small snacks in it and I was good to go. We've done that 4-5 times at least. Never had a problem.

Esp with kids, pb & j and little snacks are easy to pack. If you are worried about food going "bad" you can always freeze a 1/2 full water bottle. By the time you need it it'll be defrosted and the food will still be cold.

Takes a little more work but is so worth having the extra money when you need it. Eating in the park 1-2 times shouldn't be too bad, but I would bring stuff if you can. It can get really expensive if you don't. And really healthy eating choices are pretty hard to find.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Disneyland is very overpriced. I don't think food is allowed into the park but as another poster stated, there are lockers outside the park for you to leave a cooler or something.

There are a couple of restaurants in Downtown Disney which is between Disneyland and California Adventures that you can try looking up nutritional value before you go: Rain Forest Cafe, ESPN Center, HardRock Cafe and I remember some little Mexican Cantina type place.

Across the street there is a McDonald's and a Mimi's Cafe and a bunch of other little places like a buffet style place. I think there is also a Denny's and if you walk up Harbor towards Katella I believe there is a Subway across the street. Not sure if you have that where you live but you can get some low calorie sandwiches. I eat there semi-often.

While you're here try Flame Broiler..it's amazing!! :) There is one at the corner of Ball Rd. & Euclid.

I'm in Anaheim so if you have any questions just let me know!

Hope this helps!
  • k80fox
    k80fox Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm a Disney FREAK! Love Love LOVE that place.

I've never been there during the holidays so I'm not sure what is different other than the decorations.

As far as food goes, in my opinion it's difficult to eat healthy while in the park. Everything is so delicious and of course not the best nutrition wise. However, my feeling is that you will walk several miles over the course of a day and burn many of the calories that you consume so it balances itself out. You're on vacation...live a little :wink:

I'm not sure about snacks because I've never tried to bring any inside. I do know that they serch your bag before you enter the park but I think they're looking for weapons and not food. If your kids are young, I'm sure you could get away with snacks but like it was suggested above, I would call the park first. Do you plan on driving to the park? You could leave a cooler in your car and head out at lunch. Just some thoughts :smile:

I'm so jealous! I wish I was going to Disneyland...even though I just went this past April, lol. Have fun!
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a Disneyland Annual Passholder and LOVE it there!

The "Official" rules are you cannot bring food into the park, but they have picnic area right outside the entrance. As someone else said, there are lockers you can rent to store all your stuff.

The "Unofficial" rule is that you can get away with bringing in some food - in a backpack - such as sandwiches, crackers, granola bars, juice boxes or bottles of water will be ignored. If you eat your snack/meal very discreetly, without using park resources (i.e. taking up a table at a restaurant without buying anything) and you don't make a mess, no one will say anything to you.

More tips:

Main Street: Market House General Store will give you free coffee re-fills if you show them your receipt. (They don't advertise this) You dont even have to recycle your cup - as long as you have receipt.

In my experience, Carnation Cafe is the best value for meals. In terms of watching calories, you're pretty limited except for salads. But you can order the kids meals for proportions and nobody is going to say anything.

As for Christmas stuff: The Candy Shoppe on Main Street has FREE candy cane making demos. The parade is the best part (IT SNOWS!) Main Street is best, but also by the river is good too. Be sure to get the information brochure when you get there - it'll tell you EXACTLY where it snows (since not all places on the parade route get snow)

Oh man, there's so much. I could go on and on.. Feel free to friend me and send me a message. I'm glad to help however I can :)
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    On a side note regarding my suggestions, almost everything I listed in my post are within walking distance so you don't have to drive and try to find another parking spot when you get back. Many, many people leave the park to eat and just walk across the street and come back after eating.

There are so many good suggestions here, I'm sure you'll be able to find something that fits your needs. :)

And what? No one else here likes the Tiki room and the fresh pineapple? :P
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Have fun!

This is what my parents used to do when we went to theme parks back in the day... it worked out well for us!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Expect crowds. Big effin crowds. The week of Christmas is EXTREMELY busy. If you have a smartphone, get the Mousewait app, it is very helpful.
    Last time we went, we brought snacks, and packets to flavor water for the kids, we refilled water bottles all over the parks. They will give you ice in a cup just for asking. I appropriated fresh fruit every morning from our hotel's breakfast buffet and packed it in.
    Be there before the park opens to get in line, the week we were there (the week between Christmas and New Years) they had to close the parks for admission by noon because they were packed to capacity. It's tough to spend all that time with 70,000+ of your closest friends, and MAN were they close!

Have fun.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    TEA CUP RIDE!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    TEA CUP RIDE!

Just go on it befor you eat lol
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have Disney Passes too!!! I Love Everything at Disney but my Favorites are the Pinapple whips. They are right as you walk in Frontier Land. ( Line is usually really long) I Love the sourdough soup bowls and the Extra Long corn dogs lol!! The icecream is to die for too lol!!! I LOVE DISNEYLAND!!!!C
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    There are lots of reasonably good options (and since you'll be on your feet/walking most of hte day you'll have a higher calorie allotment for the day anyhow).

Dland food has improved over hte years - there are fruit and vegetable dishes available here and there.

I wouldn't worry about it so much you don't enjoy your vacation.