Pizza legally now a vegetable, thank you Congress!

Replies

• dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Stupidity running rampant.....is what this is!!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    ....is that this is!!
    What?
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Mmmm. Pizza. ::drool::
  • I didn't know the ninja turtles were members of congress
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Gotta love the food lobbyists and the control they have over our government.
  • fit4mom
    I didn't know the ninja turtles were members of congress
    [/quote
    SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    I didn't know the ninja turtles were members of congress

Winner!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    for everyone saying we should teach our kids to eat right you are missing one important things. most parents are idiots.

i guess we should do away with child seatbelt laws too right? dont want the government telling us what's good for us.

i just dont think its a big deal to have only healthy options at our schools.
  • fit4mom
    BTW did anyone ever consider that maybe there was something attached to the new health bill that could be bad for us. That is how most bills get passed. They get tucked in for a nice comfy ride to be an undeclared bill. Sneaky isn't it.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    So, does that make it FREE on the new Weight Watchers Point system?

LMAO, on the Points Plus system, maybe, but not the old points system:laugh:
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    I want pizza. Can't eat it. :sad:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    All this blathering about government regulations on school lunch, what's next, government regulations on office cafeterias, too? Adults are obese, too, and since it's obviously too much trouble to teach kids to choose healthier alternatives, I guess adults should be forced into what to eat as well, right? Where would it end? After that we could get government regulations on what you can and cannot grow and eat yourself, we all know there could be pathogens in homegrown food, we might need a regulation protecting you from eating it and getting sick. :huh:

The whole, pizza sauce counts as a vegetable is irrelevant and pointless to argue about. Tomato sauce is mostly tomatoes, tomatoes are a vegetable (technically a fruit, but legally a vegetable,) so why wouldn't tomato sauce count as a serving of vegetables? If I take a few tomatoes, and crush them up, mix them with some herbs, flavors, a bit of sugar, and nutmeg, does it suddenly stop becoming a vegetable?:huh:
  • Laces_0ut
    All this blathering about government regulations on school lunch, what's next, government regulations on office cafeterias, too? Adults are obese, too, and since it's obviously too much trouble to teach kids to choose healthier alternatives, I guess adults should be forced into what to eat as well, right? Where would it end? After that we could get government regulations on what you can and cannot grow and eat yourself, we all know there could be pathogens in homegrown food, we might need a regulation protecting you from eating it and getting sick. :huh:

The whole, pizza sauce counts as a vegetable is irrelevant and pointless to argue about. Tomato sauce is mostly tomatoes, tomatoes are a vegetable (technically a fruit, but legally a vegetable,) so why wouldn't tomato sauce count as a serving of vegetables? If I take a few tomatoes, and crush them up, mix them with some herbs, flavors, a bit of sugar, and nutmeg, does it suddenly stop becoming a vegetable?:huh:

let adults do whatever the heck they want to do. but lets at least try to give kids a fighting chance and not be fat by the time they are 18. like i said most parents are idiots and thats why we need laws to protect kids. like seatbelts. if it wasnt a law many parents would never buckle their kids up.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    let adults do whatever the heck they want to do. but lets at least try to give kids a fighting chance and not be fat by the time they are 18. like i said most parents are idiots and thats why we need laws to protect kids. like seatbelts. if it wasnt a law many parents would never buckle their kids up.
    You clearly don't drive near any inner-city areas, right? I see kids without car seats or seat belts on in the Detroit area almost daily.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

The govt already has regulations for school lunches because tax dollars are used to fund it. The "blathering" is about a proposal to better those regulations (make them healthier).

The tomato sauce argument is not over whether it should be considered a vegetable. It already is where school lunches are concerned. The arguments is whether there should be a minimum amount of it to be considered a "serving" of vegetables.
  • Laces_0ut
    You clearly don't drive near any inner-city areas, right? I see kids without car seats or seat belts on in the Detroit area almost daily.

maybe i should have said many "more"? maybe Detroit is short on police?
  • fit4mom

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Actually, it sounds like "the government" had been taking steps to reduce the poor health choices of the food being served, but...

"Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee said the changes would "prevent overly burdensome and costly regulations and to provide greater flexibility for local school districts to improve the nutritional quality of meals."

BUT it sounds like the school districts are acting on keeping students from being hungry, not keeping them nourished.

"School districts had said some of the USDA requirements went too far and cost too much when budgets are extremely tight. Schools have long taken broad instructions from the government on what they can serve in federally subsidized meals that are served free or at reduced price to low-income children. But some schools have balked at government attempts to tell them exactly what foods they can't serve."

The part of "the government" that wants to reduce spending through elimination or reduction of social programs in the US is in agreement with school districts that are focused on not having to lay off thousands of teachers and administrative staff. The idealistic part of "the government" wants to make kids healthier.

The part about making tomato paste a vegetable just sounds foolish. Sometimes I think this country is so embroiled in its own bureaucracy that it can't see beyond its own nose.

I think you and I could have a lot to talk about. So to sum up in layman's terms, the government (and specifically state and local governments) has reduced school budgets so much that the school are having trouble providing food for free/reduced lunch students under the current requirements, so the government is changing what can be considered a veg to allow the school disctricts to continue providing free/reduced lunch.
    Yup. That's right.
  • tomato paste IS technically a vegetable.... just pureed and sometimes filled with addatives (depending upon who is making the paste).... but pizza as a whole? no way! :laugh:
  • Momma24
    Momma24 Posts: 589 Member
    Ok, pizza as a vegetable is a bit ridiculous, but this whole thing started because pizza was going to be banned due to the new USDA guidelines. I personally don't feel the government should have anything to do with telling people what they can and can't eat....(yes they should still make sure it is safe to eat). If you don't want your kids eating pizza at lunch send them with something else or teach them to make smart choices.....I'm assuming pizza wouldn't ever be the only option.

Exactly!