For those who have a special treat day....

Options
How much over on your daily calories do you go...on average. Do you have a total blow out day or just one meal?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    500-1000 over typically. Some folks go to 2x their maintenance (aka Spike Day).
  • jhutch2011
    jhutch2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use to just eat whatever and not count at all on Friday's. Then I decided I'd allow myself one meal on Friday's to "cheat". Then I decided I was setting myself back even further by "blowing it" and it really wasn't worth it...because I went WAY over when I cheated. So now, I find ways to fit my treats in within my calories...sometimes it means an extra workout...or finding low calorie options at another meal during the day.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do allow myself one cheat meal. Usually on a Friday or Saturday night. But in general, if I want a little something, I have it. I work really hard and feel like if I go over on my calories every once in a great while, it's not the end of the world. This isn't a diet, it's a change for the rest of my life and it would be pretty miserable if I couldn't have a little indulgance every now and again!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I usually have a splurge day where I go a couple hundred over and also a day I just don't count but try to not go too far over. It's usually Sat and SUn. Works for me, as long as I get right back at it on Monday morning. I have had days where something special was going on and I was several hundred calories over, but try to limit that to less than once a month.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I normally go over about 500 or so once/twice a week. But I also make up for it during the other days of the week. Just be mindful that sometimes you want to eat something high in calories. Account for it in your plan. It is all about balance.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't designate a "cheat" day, but I accept that there are naturally going to be days where I go over because of parties, going out, etc. Looking back at my diary it is usually just by 200 calories or so, and I have several days where I'm 50-100 calories under, which makes up for it.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    500-1000...usually try not to go over 2000 if i can or close to it
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    my special treat days are not blow my calories out of the water days. I still stay within 150ish cals of my base. I just dont make smart choices and I work my butt off to make up for it.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I try to not go over by too much, but if I know I'm having people over Saturday night, I make sure to workout that morning. I don't typically count calories on days like that, but I know if I were to, it would be close to goal net cals. Although every couple of weeks, I have a complete fail day with no logging and a meal consisting of that one food I've been craving, often hot wings or italian.
    The rest of the days, I don't have it unless I work for it. Today I'm not feeling well, so I'm eating lower calories since I won't be working out.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I don't deprive myself anything because for me everything fits into my new lifestyle - if I gave up chips I'd binge and I'm just tired of living like that BUT if I have a special event - I plan for it and log it as best I can.
    Also, I try and keep my dailies under or at my calorie count but for me it's the weekly that really matter.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I zig-zag so I really look at my calories for the week, not by the day. When I eat clean I really do have a hard time getting in all my calories plus, for me, intense exercise is an appetite suppressant, so my under days are balanced by my over days and my splurges typically do not put me over for the week.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Friday's are usually the days when I have my splurge. Dinner out with my boyfriend. Sometime I'm way over, other times I'm not over too much. I would say I probably go 500-700 over for the day. I don't worry about it, I don't try to work it off, it is my day to do a I please.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm only having a few occasional days like once or twice a month until my weight reaches a number I'm comfortable with and won't panic if I go up by a few pounds with more regular treats.

I think now I'm getting to stage I can exercise more and know I can burn more I'm more relaxed about eating carbs with meals every so often, but wheat in particular does make me very bloated and bad water retention (like 6-10lbs extra) so I may stay wheat free on a permanent basis but re-introduce potatoes, rice and other non- wheat grains once I get nearer my goal weight.