Photography!! Digital SLR recommendations?

Options
killerqueen17
killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
Hey everyone!! Any amateur or professional photographers out there?

...I'm thinking of getting a beginner's digital SLR camera. I love taking pictures and looking at photography, but I'm not satisfied with the quality of my point and shoot.

The camera will be simply for my own personal use, as I'm not a professional. I'm a beginner, but fairly handy with technology, so I'm not scared of something a bit more complex than a point and shoot. I'm just looking for something that takes nice crisp pictures, particularly of people, and can work in multiple lighting situations. (The camera I have now is awful in indoor and/or low-light-- the flash washes people out, but without the flash it blurs!)

For now, I'm leaning towards the Canon EOS Rebel T3-- I've seen a few deals coming up soon with that camera and a lens for $488, whereas the regular price is about $550. I know I will have to drop some money on a purchase like this, but I'm really trying to stay AS low as possible!

Still researching, though... any thoughts, comments, suggestions from those who have already entered the world of digital SLR?

THANK YOU, I know this was a long post!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do amateur photography mainly of children, couples, and my dogs and I used a Nikon D90 - I used to use a Nikon D60 but upgraded to the D90 when my dad upgraded his :-)

It is easy to use and I get great results!

Good luck - photography is a lot of fun!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Try the new DSLR from Sony, it's a bit more expensive, but I am in LOVE with it! It's a micro too, so it looks just like a regular digital it's not super bulky like the Cannon DSLRs but it holds all the features.

The Olympia is also a good camera, one of my co-workers has one.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have the Rebel T2i and I LOVE it and would definitely recommend the T2 or T3. I'm not a professional by any means whatsoever, but I do enjoy photography and just taking pics in general. I like the fact that I can basically do "full auto" with the Rebel or "full manual" in terms of all the settings (shutter speed, ISO, white balance, etc.).

That sounds like a great deal on the T3! I got my T2 with 2 lenses (this is back when it was the latest in the Rebel line) for about $800.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.kenrockwell.com. He's got some good recommendations. He leans towards the Nikon products but that's not bad.

If you're serious about hunting down a camera, Black Friday is right around the corner and you'll be able to get some killer freebies. (extra lenses, camera bag, tripod, whatever). Costco will have a decent kit. I got my Nikon kit from Ritz Camera on Black Friday 3 years ago with a set of classes, a bag, two lenses and a multi-function printer. All for about $650.

If you want to see what's out there for Black Friday, check out www.blackfriday.info.
  • kantone999
    Options
    I love my Nikon D5000. You can let the camera figure everything out if you want or go totally manual controls. The DVD is easy to understand and if there's a good camera shop near you that's a licensed retailer, Nikon conducts classes a few times a year. I've got a lot of my nature pix on FB if you wanna check 'em out.--they're public
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i have the canon t2i, i love it. simple enough to learn photography with but sophisticated enough to take really nice shots
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've had the Canon T2i for a little over a year now. I LOVE it!! I was a beginner also. I was also looking at the Canon 60D, but one of the reasons that I chose the T2i was that it was smaller and easier for me to hold. With the lens and sometimes the added flash, it can get quite heavy. Good luck and enjoy! I have so much fun with mine.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have a 5D Mark II, 7D, and T2i. The T2i's image quality is right on par with my 7D. It's a great little camera. Highly recommend.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have a Nikon D60 that I got about 3, almost 4 years ago. It has been a great starter DLS camera for me. I just FINALLY took a workshop on how to use the manual settings, maybe 3 weeks ago, and I'm getting even more amazing results with the camera. I may upgrade in the next year or so. I think you need to actually go and handle the cameras. For me, my hands felt most comforable with the Nikon, but I know plenty of people who prefer the Canon. It's really mostly just a matter of taste. Happy shopping!!!
  • redvolutionary
    Options
    @ellybean- Are you talking about the Sony Nex? I've been thinking about getting one of those as a beginner DSLR.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I started shooting with Canon but switched to Nikon when I went digital. No real complaints. Canon, Nikon, and many others make excellent products.

A few recommendations:
    Check out kenrockwell.com - I like him 'cause he's a rabblerouser. His writing makes you think, even though he's outspoken, and his pix are way, way too bright for my taste (his composition is excellent but he oversaturates typically).

How about buying a used camera? The reason I suggest this is 'cause a new digital camera body is pricey and, a year later, is superseded. I bought a Nikon D200 4 or 5 years ago for $1,400 or so and it's worth about $400 today. That means that you could pick up a good camera for not much $$ in the used market.

One thing that I would be cautious of, though, is to get a camera with a newish generation of sensors. My D200 is "gen 1" or "gen 0" and the newer "gen 2" or "gen 3" cameras have sensors that give you at least two mode stops of dynamic range and better color capture. It's really quite something how much sensors have improved.

Having said that, though, I'm in 100% agreement with Ken Rockwell when he says, paraphrasing, "The camera does not matter." A high end DSLR will get you some great features but today's entry level camera have enough pixels and features for a pro.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the DSLR world!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your budget and your knowledge of photography. The Canon EOS Rebel T3 is an excellent camera to get started with. I myself, am a Nikon guy, but that is my preference and is what really counts when it comes down to camera choice.

A good alternative to and comparable to the Canon EOS Revel T3 is the Nikon D3100. They both are around the same price point, but the Nikon is a little better on the specs. (More bang for you buck.)

As a semi-pro photographer, I will tell you this, it is not the camera that makes a photograph what it is, it is the photographer. If you are wanting to step up to an DLSR, get what you can comfortable afford, learn the basics and then once you have your bearings into what all the terminology means and how to use the settings and before you know it the creativity bug will hit y and you will be taking better pictures before you know it.

Here is a sites that will help you along your way:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/ - Lots of tips and pointers along with explanations on the terminology.

http://diyphotography.net/ - More tips and information plus projects for setting up a photography studio on a budget.

Hope this helps.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    I'm a photography student and I use an Olympus e420 most of the time, which does the job, but when I'm working in the studio up at uni I use Nikon's, but Canons are very good too if that's what you're leaning towards. Nikon's and Canon's are arguably, in my opinion, the top brands of SLR you can find :)
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    Check out http://www.kenrockwell.com. He's got some good recommendations. He leans towards the Nikon products but that's not bad.

If you're serious about hunting down a camera, Black Friday is right around the corner and you'll be able to get some killer freebies. (extra lenses, camera bag, tripod, whatever). Costco will have a decent kit. I got my Nikon kit from Ritz Camera on Black Friday 3 years ago with a set of classes, a bag, two lenses and a multi-function printer. All for about $650.

If you want to see what's out there for Black Friday, check out www.blackfriday.info.

That's exactly why I'm thinking about getting one now, lol! Thanks for the sites, I will check them out!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would avoid Ken Rockwell's site. He does not give the most sound advice and can be rather biased towards certain cameras and brands.

Check out www.luminous-landscapes.com and www.the-digital-picture.com for less biased reviews and a little more objectivity.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    It really depends on your budget and your knowledge of photography. The Canon EOS Rebel T3 is an excellent camera to get started with. I myself, am a Nikon guy, but that is my preference and is what really counts when it comes down to camera choice.

A good alternative to and comparable to the Canon EOS Revel T3 is the Nikon D3100. They both are around the same price point, but the Nikon is a little better on the specs. (More bang for you buck.)

As a semi-pro photographer, I will tell you this, it is not the camera that makes a photograph what it is, it is the photographer. If you are wanting to step up to an DLSR, get what you can comfortable afford, learn the basics and then once you have your bearings into what all the terminology means and how to use the settings and before you know it the creativity bug will hit y and you will be taking better pictures before you know it.

Here is a sites that will help you along your way:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/ - Lots of tips and pointers along with explanations on the terminology.

http://diyphotography.net/ - More tips and information plus projects for setting up a photography studio on a budget.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful. Thanks!! :bigsmile:
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    Hmmm, looks like I will have to check out the Nikons a bit closer... the best deal I could find so far was the Canon Rebel T3, but I'm sure there's options out there... and used is a good idea too, but I feel like it makes it way more complicated (because then there's more options rather than just the newest models!), and also the added variable of changing technology... yikes! But then again, could be worth it in the $$ saved... oh boy, more research to do! haha

I did not expect so many responses! Thanks a lot to everyone!! :bigsmile:
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have the Nikon D3100 and I really like it. Its my first DSLR and I have found it easy to learn on and get used to. And I love the photos I've taken with it so far.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I have a NikonD40 , which used to be the **** but apparently now it's not too cool.