Does anyone on MFP meditate?

Options
ummlovelovesyou
ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
I will probably get no responses to this...but I was just wondering......

Replies

• Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I do meditation. Have for over a year.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I do. Not in the sense that most people might think of, with the lit candles, incense, and chanting like a Tibetan monk. I have an app on my phone called "Simply Being" that guides you through a period of mindfulness and "being ok" with how things are. Helps my stress a lot!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Every morning - I try and set my intention for the day. If I am feeling stressed thru out the day I say the Serenity prayer.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I think I REALLY need it!!
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't. But I feel like I need to lately. I have a 2 year old throwing temper tantrums like crazy and I'm feeling more stressed than normal. I think I need to set aside some time to meditate and just calm down. =) I'll have to look into this.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I really want to, so I know I need to find time to, more like make time!!! Otherwise I used to everyday!
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I meditate every sunday. it's a big part of my church. I work at and attend a Unitarian Universalist church and a huge part of our weekly service is a short mindfulness meditation. Essentially just being in the hear-and-now. I love it, it's so relaxing.

i use it at work sometimes or at home if i'm really stressed out. it's nice to focus on your breathing and nothing else. it quiets the mind and really just helps me to relax.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do when I can.
  • IAM125lbs
    IAM125lbs Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've meditated for a couple of decades
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I do home made meditation, by which I mean finding a quite spot, thinking about something simple (like breathing or height or distance) and letting other thoughts and stresses disappear. Not sure if this counts, but it helps me relax and allows random ideas to come in to my head. I'm fairly sure it helps me solve problems later in the day.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I like meditating on the daily gospel readings, using my imagination to re-live the story, and to get insights on how to live a like that is more holy, whole really---we all need to strive to be saints. There is a great meditation site: sacredspace.ie
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    As often as I can
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I will probably get no responses to this...but I was just wondering......

I don't meditate, but I do pray... prayer is a wonderful thing :)
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I say to myself a positive statement that works for me when things get tough and I'm overwhelmed. Amazing how it makes me feel..like a deep breath. Positive thinking helps. That and a solo long run with great tunes is pretty close to meditation for me.
  • I do Biblical meditation and spend quiet time with God in prayer. =) To me, there's no better way to de-stress.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    When I was a kid right up into my 20's and even still kinda do it on occasion .. I did a form of meditation by doodling. I would start writing somethng, a single word for instance, over and over .. and in no time at all, I could fill a whole page of doodle. I don't know how something like that could help me to 'escape', calm down and refocus...but it did. It was like getting lost in a deep sleep, not catatonic .. more like a daydream.

I often experienced frustration of one form or another, like any teenager or young adult .. Even now, that I'm in my 50's, and have experienced menopause, it's even worse ... Like you know, when you are trying to think of something and you just can't remember .. the harder you try to remember, the worse it gets. It's almost like there is just too much information in there and it's piled on top of what I am trying to retreive. Frustrates the heck outta me!

Often times, the frustrations of the day would melt away, and with a new refocus, I would have one of those 'ah ha' moments. When I can't sleep, I kind of do the same thing, I concentrate on one thing like a picture of an object .. when I feel other thoughts sneeking in (like stuff from work, things that happened during the day, emotional feelings, I would fight to refocus on that object. Sometimes it was a struggle, and I'd have to fight to concentrate, some times it's wasn't so hard and it wouldn't take as long.. EVERYtime, I'd fall off to sleep. Kind of like counting sheep .. don't laugh .. It works!
  • theboxer
    Options
    Meditating and Praying is a way of life for me. Its as important as working out and eating properly. Peace of mind brings peace of body.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I meditate almost every day-- you wouldn't believe the awesome effects it has on your body, mind, and life overall. Try it :)
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    I try to go to Tuesday night meditation group when I can. It's a guided meditation.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    WOW! Awesome that so many people meditate---or use prayer---to relieve stress and relax, or for other reasons.

I meditate when I need to. Usually if I get really upset over something stupid, or if I get a headache or migraine. I've found that it takes away the pain and leaves me feeling refreshed and relaxed!

I thought about being changing my religion, but after much research I decided not to lol!

I did however read this book and enjoyed it very much. It put things into perspective for me.
    You-Are-Here-Hanh-Thich-Nhat.jpg

I'm currently reading this book, and have liked it so far:
    41Iu0PgTmoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I found a quote in this ^^^ book that I plan to use for the rest of my LIFE!

"Do everything with a mind that lets go. Don't accept praise or gain or anything else. If you let go a little you will have a little peace; if you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace; if you let go completely you will have complete peace."

-Achaan Chah