EU bans drinks manufacturer from claiming water prevents deh

Options
So I've just seen the article in which the american government have said pizza can be classed as a vegetable and this that water doesn't prevent dehydration. What is going on?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well ... you could drink water and then end up dehydrated at some point, so technically, it doesn't "prevent" it so much as "treat" it.

Maybe?

I guess it's a stretch ...
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you believe anything the EU tells you... Good to know all that money we give them doesn't go to waste on frivolous nonsense.

:mad:
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    there is nothing in the article about pizza. 30 years ago, Ronald Reagan declared ketchup could be substituted for a vegetable in school lunches - since then there has been no common sense in government.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    There is just nothing like government.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    there is nothing in the article about pizza. 30 years ago, Ronald Reagan declared ketchup could be substituted for a vegetable in school lunches - since then there has been no common sense in government.

That's on another thread.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options

OMG
    Are you serious!
    LOL Hahahaha
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options

im afraid that the lack of common sense in the government goes back further than Reagan.... one thing you can count on regardless of political affiliations is the stupidity of our government as a whole.
  • fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a "the onion" article when I first read it. Unbelievable.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    im seriously awaiting the time when Brawndo just buys out the FDA.

Its got Electrolytes!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    So I've just seen ... that water doesn't prevent dehydration. What is going on?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

Don't believe everything you read in newspapers. It's another Euromyth. See:
    http://euromove.blogactiv.eu/2011/11/21/anatomy-of-a-euromyth/
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So I've just seen the article in which the american government have said pizza can be classed as a vegetable and this that water doesn't prevent dehydration. What is going on?

Pizza a vegetable, all to do with the tomato on top apparently.

Regarding water preventing dehydration (or not preventing it), it prevents it. Try not drinking any for a day and see just how dehydrated you feel then.

It is time for people to start using their common sense lol
  • mfp_1
    Options
    "The claim from the manufacturer was that drinking lots of water can "can reduce the risk of development of dehydration" is therefore false and the ruling appropriate."

Drinking water will hydrate you. But it can't stop you getting dehydrated in future. It's not a vaccine.
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So I've just seen ... that water doesn't prevent dehydration. What is going on?

Don't believe everything you read in newspapers. It's another Euromyth. See:
    http://euromove.blogactiv.eu/2011/11/21/anatomy-of-a-euromyth/

Although I really don't care if this particular nugget is true or not I wouldn't believe everything you read on Euromove. It only posts things that serve its purpose of trying to get brits to want to bind themselves further to the EU especially since more and more brits want to break from the EU instead.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I kind of get this having read the facts.... Its about whether dehydration is classed as a disease (which its not) and therefore it is not a disease which can be prevented by consumption of water.

Additionally - its about the difference between 'prevents' and 'reduces the risk of'

Finally - its about the indirect messaging that bottled water is MORE hydrating than other beverages - which isn't always the case.

That said.. completely bloody waste of tax payers money - we're not completely stupid!!!
  • amymaria91
    Options
    There are a lot of idiotic people in the world, that's all I'll say
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Pizza a vegetable, all to do with the tomato on top apparently.

This makes me laugh, yes tomato is a veg, but by that kind of thinking a McD's buger is then too a veg.... as it has lettuce on it.

The water thing, is just a waste of time and resources that the EU clearly does not have spare right now, and even if they had, use them wisely to solve real problems!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    "The claim from the manufacturer was that drinking lots of water can "can reduce the risk of development of dehydration" is therefore false and the ruling appropriate."

Drinking water will hydrate you. But it can't stop you getting dehydrated in future. It's not a vaccine.

Actually, good point. Rather similar to sleep, you can't store that either. Yes, I see what you mean now x
  • mfp_1
    Options
    Thanks
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

There is a lot more that goes into being dehydrated than just drinking water. Yes, water is the optimal drink, but through the foods you eat you need enough sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc to keep the electrolytes balanced.

If I need to replenish my electrolytes I grab coconut water. It is pure and natural and contains all of the necessary components to keep the body in balance.
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    im seriously awaiting the time when Brawndo just buys out the FDA.

Its got Electrolytes!

"BRAWNDO...It makes you win at things you aren't even supposed to win at ! Like Yelling! YOU CAN WIN AT YELLING!!!"

Great movie...