Seriously depressed!! just looking for some advice pls don't

Options
I'm a new grad....Registered Nurse. I have crazy student loan debts and do not have a job. I have applied to numerous upon numerous of places. I have only had 2 call backs. I am beyond depressed when each time I log on to Facebook another person who I went to school with has landed a killer job.
What am I doing wrong?

It literally makes me sick to my stomach! I can't stop comparing myself to people.
I am tackign additional courses to somehow hope that it will somehow set me apart.
Has anyone ever been in my shoes? I have no idea what to do.
All my day consists of is applying for jobs and working out.
I have been unemplyed for about 6 months and I feel sick!! Why is this all not panning out?
Does God have something better in store :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I don't know what to do :'( I had my 1st appointment with an unemployment center.. she helped tweak my resume and is going to help me on my journey in finding a position... but wow
this can't be life.
How am I suppose to turn this into a positive??? :brokenheart:

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    What state are you in? Have you tried registry?
  • trying2findmyway
    Options
    I live in Canada.

I have not yet applied to agencies. I guess I could try that
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    You never know what is around the corner. It's hard to see people who are landing these great jobs, and are seemingly leading these amazing lives. But everyone has their demons, whether or not they show them outright to the world. You will find what you're looking for. It's only a matter of time. Stay the course. That's the best possible advice I can give. :) Sending a friend request along with this.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Relax, the job will come when it's suppose to. I have been out of work for just over 2 years. The depression has gone away and I find lots of things to do with my day (it took a while though). I had many days where all I did was cry and ask why but thankfully that has surpassed. Don't compare yourself to others and what they may or may not have, it doesn't help anyone. Good Luck!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I was unemployed for 8 months right after my daughter was born in 2009. I left for "maternity leave" little did I know I was actually being laid off. They didn't tell me that until I was a week before coming back - I was on unemployment for 6 months after my maternity leave (6 weeks). My mom was unemployed for 18 months - it is the economy. I am sure you aren't doing anything wrong; the economy just sucks. Keep trying - remember everything happens for a reason. You will find the perfect job soon enough. Keep your head up and be proud of your degree. Oh, by the way, I can totally understand the student loans issues. I owe over $19,000 in student loans and I can't pay them right now. I keep putting them off.
  • kantone999
    Options
    Have you tried signing up with medical temporary staffing? One of my friends stays as busy as she wants with them....are you following up after you send in your resume with a call? Don't be afraid to hand-deliver resumes to a place where you really want to work. Hang in there and don't give up. In Texas, our state unemployment office has classes on everything from resume writing to interviewing skills to help.
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    you can probably turn this around by being thankful for the things you have and not throwing a pity party about the things you don't. you were blessed with another day. give thanks for that and keep it moving.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As a career counselor I work with people in your shoes all the time. For most people who aren't getting interviews they need to take a look at their marketing materials (resume, cover letter, and online profile) and re-evaluate. Since you're not getting interviews or even call backs, my suggestion is to get some some feedback on your resume and cover letter to see if you are showcasing your skills and experience in an effective way.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have had several friends who have had great success, a ton of great experience, and a ton of great experiences as travel nurses.
  • trying2findmyway
    Options
    Have you tried signing up with medical temporary staffing? One of my friends stays as busy as she wants with them....are you following up after you send in your resume with a call? Don't be afraid to hand-deliver resumes to a place where you really want to work. Hang in there and don't give up. In Texas, our state unemployment office has classes on everything from resume writing to interviewing skills to help.
    I've called a hand full of places to follow up.
    Many times you get stuck with the HRs voice mail.

the time I got through (nursing home- I faxed my resume) I left a message they didn't bother to return the call
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    one day at a time. My mom used to say, "God never gives us more than we can handle and when he gives us tough situations it only makes us stronger for what lies ahead." Things will get better when you least expect it! Chin up.:flowerforyou:
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Where in Canada are you. I know our hospital has plenty of postings. When I started I applied on EVERY posting Alberta Health had- and took the first one that came along. Just to get my foot in the door. Once you are in, it's much easier to get the job you want.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A lot of finding a job is knowing how to market yourself. I'm glad you met with the professional to work on your resume -- that will help. When you get an interview, dress nicely, don't wear a lot of accessories (maybe a simple necklace and one ring), don't overdo your makeup, don't overkill it with perfume. Hold your head high and show that you're confident, but don't be cocky. Smile, don't be afraid to crack a joke as long as it's appropriate. And be patient. It's hard to find a job in the current economy. Just keep trying. And maybe don't look in the traditional places. See about being a home health aide, or working as a school nurse, or something of that nature. Don't limit yourself to hospitals and doctor's offices.

Good luck!
  • mrs_n0rris
    mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you willing to move? I know there are often jobs available in 'less desirable cities' (read: North!). Also network as much as possible! Do you know anyone who has a job in a hospital/medical agency? If so talk to them about looking for a job, if they can introduce you to any of their contacts, if they've heard about any openings, etc. This is how I've found out about openings in the past. Hold in there, you'll find something!
  • trying2findmyway
    Options
    As a career counselor I work with people in your shoes all the time. For most people who aren't getting interviews they need to take a look at their marketing materials (resume, cover letter, and online profile) and re-evaluate. Since you're not getting interviews or even call backs, my suggestion is to get some some feedback on your resume and cover letter to see if you are showcasing your skills and experience in an effective way.

yeah, that's exactly what I did. I had my resume/cover letter etc tweaked. I feel more confident about it... and hope it sells me a little better
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    awww................please don't feel dispondant!! It's a bad time to be a nurse at the moment. I'm not sure where you are but here in the UK its quite difficult for newly qualified nurses to get jobs. I'm sure something will turn up, it may not be exactly what you want but any experience is good and gets your foot in the door. I'm a nurse and I do understand your anxiety.

Money is just money and I know if you have none and owe money that probably isn't much help (and I don;t want to sound patronising) but the lenders can't get from you what you do not have. Maybe talk to a financial advisor about it??

Hope life sorts itself out for you as it sounds like you have a lot on your plate to worry about. But I'm sure things will get better x
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, my wife is an RN. With years of experience. She has sent out hundreds of resumes and has gotten a call back on maybe 3, 4 tops. Even worse for the past few years she was an independent contractor so she can't even collect unemployment.

FML!
  • trying2findmyway
    Options
    Where in Canada are you. I know our hospital has plenty of postings. When I started I applied on EVERY posting Alberta Health had- and took the first one that came along. Just to get my foot in the door. Once you are in, it's much easier to get the job you want.
    Ontario
  • KristinCrochets
    KristinCrochets Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your university should have a Career Center that can help you. Call your Alumni Office and ask about it. They can help you network with potential employers or other alums in the field that you're in. I work for an Alumni Office at a university, and we often will have employers send job postings to us because they're looking to hire from here before posting it to the public. With all of the money you paid for college, let it work for you now! Also, ask your Alumni Office if they offer the option to audit classes. That's when you can take classes free of charge. You don't get credit for them and they don't go on your transcript, but it's something you can put on your resume and gain some extra skills while you job search - it'll help make you more employable. The other option is to go to your local hospital and ask about volunteer opportunities. Again, not employment - but if you have extra time, those are even more skills you can add to your resume! Best of luck and please don't give up! The right job is out there for you!
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    After getting a Bachelor's in Biology (with $64,000 in student loans which is only part of my debts), I found myself unemployed for 8 months. I even applied at a local coffee shop who'd refuse to take me because "you're not going to hang around here long enough". In the meanwhile I volunteered at church because I couldn't stand not working. After throwing in application after application, I got a call back from a science temp agency and landed what I can best describe as a totally awesome job which I've been at for the past four years. I don't make nearly as much as I thought I would (made just as much without a degree) but I do like coming to work every day in the field that I studied in. It'll take a long time to pay all this off, but at least I see a path forward to doing so. Keep throwing darts at the dartboard until something sticks.