HDL CHOLESTEROL

Options
I just came from the doctor and he said my HDL is really low.

He wants to see me again soon.

It was 33.

Is there a way to get this up.. That worked for someone else.

I hate to surf the web for this information.

Thanks!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Aerobic exercise will raise it. So will eating vegetable fats (nuts, seeds, olive oil, avacado) and fish oil.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Cut back on sugar and processed foods, take lots of fish oil, eat lots of fish, nuts, pulses, eggs, vegetables, fruits - you know healthy, natural, unrefined food. I have very high HDL levels and take fish oil daily and eat sardines several times a week.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    My HDL was 35 before I started my lifestyle change 4 1/2 months ago.
    After a lot of exercise and dieting I am happy to say that my HDL is 40.
    If my understanding is correct the range is 40-60 mg/dl
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Exercise...weight loss...omega3
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yup,

exercise,
    weight loss
    consumption of lower carbs especially processed white ones and sugar
    Have 1 or 2 drinks of alcohol a day
    increase your fibre from veg
    take at least 3g's of omega 3's a day
    Include niacin supps
    consume natural fats, no refined veg oils at all
    Include saturated fat.....increases HDL the most of all fats
    stop smoking if you do.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Red wine baby!!!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    My HDL was 35 before I started my lifestyle change 4 1/2 months ago.
    After a lot of exercise and dieting I am happy to say that my HDL is 40.
    If my understanding is correct the range is 40-60 mg/dl

The unhealthy ranges differ for women and men. For men < 40 is considered a risk factor for heart disease and for women < 50 is considered a risk factor. For both > 60 is a reverse risk factor (lessens the risk of heart disease)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Eat more fat.

But it needs to be the right kind of fat. All fat will lower your LDL, but most saturated fats do not raise your HDL.
  • papa5280
    Options
    In July, My HDL was 30. Since late August I have been exercising regularly and kept my net-calories to 1600 per day, losing 15 pounds. Just got back from the Doc this morning...HDL is up to 38 Total cholesterol down from 203 to 178. LDL couldn't be measured in July, due to high triglycerides, but is 84 now.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Yup,

exercise,
    weight loss
    Include niacin supps
    stop smoking if you do.

Yes to the Niacin supplements (get the no flush kind) and folic acid as well.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Eat more fat.

But it needs to be the right kind of fat. All fat will lower your LDL, but most saturated fats do not raise your HDL.
    Natural saturated fat does raise HDL, always has, always will. transfats which is classified as a saturated fat, which is actually a polyunsaturated fat that is partially hydrogenated won't, it will lower it.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Yup,

exercise,
    weight loss
    Include niacin supps
    stop smoking if you do.

Yes to the Niacin supplements (get the no flush kind) and folic acid as well.

No to the Niacin supplements -- no flush niacin does not work. Its niacinamide not nicotinic acid (which is the actual stuff that has beneficial effects on your lipids).

Omega 3 fatty acids have a benefit, but you want to get them in your food and not from your diet if at all possible. The average OTC capsule has about 300mg of omega 3 fatty acids and you need about 3 grams in order to effect your cholesterol.

Weight loss will actually lower your HDL while you are losing weight, but will raise it when you stop or slow down weight loss.
    Illness will lower your HDL as well since it is an inflammatory marker.

Stop smoking if you do - smoking lowers your HDL by about 6-10 points.

1 glass of alcohol per day for women is appropriate as well.

Last and not least - make sure your total cholesterol and LDL are in line as well.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Natural saturated fat does raise HDL, always has, always will. transfats which is classified as a saturated fat, which is actually a polyunsaturated fat that is partially hydrogenated won't, it will lower it.

You're both wrong. Saturated fats raise both LDL and HDL
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Time to go home.
  • bcattoes
    Options

YES!! You are correct. I had it backwards!!! Still a good idea to stick to unsaturated fats to keep the LDL down.
  • zambezimama
    zambezimama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic has some really good, reliable information: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hdl-cholesterol/CL00030
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Eat more fat.

I've never seen anything in a medical journal that supports this. Trans fat and saturated fats are different. Some saturated fat, such as that in chocolate, can raise HDL but most do not.
    Do you think the saturated fat is different in chocolate than flank steak, their not. Stearic acid is the fatty acid your talking about, and stearic acid is in all saturated fat, with the exception of coconut oil, which is mostly lauric acid......do some research before making statements that your not familiar with......making assumptions on these boards are probably going to find yourself defending your position a lot.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I never mentioned LDL nor was it brought up., we were talking HDL. just saying.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

YES!! You are correct. I had it backwards!!! Still a good idea to stick to unsaturated fats to keep the LDL down.

Except the OP needs to get his HDL up. Saturated fats will get the HDL up without negatively impacting his HDL/LDL ratio.