Getting tired of negative influences

Options
So, I'm new to the website but loving it so far! My question for all of you other dieters out there is how you deal with the people in your life that are not supportive of you getting healthy. I've always tried my best to eat healthy and exercise and it always seems like I have naysayers trying to bring me down. I'm constantly hearing negative comments about being too high maintenance because I won't eat certain foods or criticism from people saying it's okay to self-indulge. I don't understand why so many people think I'm trying to "be better than them" by eating healthy - my eating choices have nothing to do with you! lol Does anyone else have these experiences and how do you handle them?

On a side note - does anyone else live with a family member (or members) who don't eat healthy but are really skinny? My husband has an extremely high metabolism and can eat whatever he wants (and he does!) while I have a low metabolism and have to be really careful with my calorie intake. Does anyone else have a similar situation? I'd love some feedback on how you "stay strong" with temptation always looming.... THANKS! :)

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    OoOoOh dear, lemme tell you... My husband is awesome and loves me no matter how big or small I have ever been:love: . His family tho, well they are a different story all together. I have actually been told when preparing for family dinners "Do NOT take the fat or sugar out of any food that you are going to feed ME. I'm not on your STUPID DIET"...the sad part is that many of these people are quite large themselves and are in SUPER denial. I have been told a lot of the same things that you presented in your post too. I used to try to excuse the fact that I was dieting and others weren't because I actually felt GUILTY for them being bigger than me and me trying to lose weight. Or not eat all day so that I could eat 'normally' in front of certain people later on. Then one day I kinda said "Screw it." ha ha I do what I do for me. Not for anyone else. If people ask about my weight I tell them with pride. If they don't say anything I tend to keep quiet... but continue with bringing tossed salads to family cookouts, or angel food cake to gatherings...etc.

While I don't have anyone that can eat whatever they want and stay skinny... i do have those that eat whatever they want and don't give a darn:wink: ! When my husband is having a bag of Humpty Dumpty potato chips, I have a baggie full of dry cereal (I'm a cereal-a-holic) When he is eating mashed potato and gravy, I am eating a plate of sweet potato 'fries'. I chew A LOT of gum, mint chocolate chip icecream by Extra is one of my saviours:heart: !

You just gotta remember that you are doing this for YOU. Other people will always try to bring you down in order to bring themselves up. Keep 'em in their place by doing what you do---with a smile! :bigsmile:
  • jennaliane
    jennaliane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Those influences are all around! Especially now that the holiday season is here. It is so easy to curl up by the fire (yes I am doing that right now) with a hot cup of coffee and watch the snow fall. But I am determined to make a change this season. I am going to be the positive influence this season. All the women in my family are dieting and getting back to being healthy. That nagging voice is always in the back of my head. I'm going to let it win and encourage those around me to join. I did that this summer and got better feedback than expected. Stay disciplined! Stay focused! And let your diet conscious come forth!
  • Glstaton
    Options
    Nothing left to say. AmberBoobar sumed it all up in an nut shell. Be you and don't worry about haters.
  • RHeyne1
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies and encouragement!!! It gets so frustrating to feel like I have to explain myself to everyone when they ask why I don't eat something or why I wake up early to run - why do they care?! LOL. Instead of feeling weakened by those times I should feel encouraged and motivated that other people have actually noticed my efforts to change! You are all definitely right though, I need to stop focusing on pleasing them and focus on me and my reasons for staying healthy!!! THANKS!!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I hear you... both with the negativity from people judging my eating habbits, and knowing people (both my brothers are bean poles )want who eat what they want and do not gain weight. My entire life I have been fed by mother into the idea that being skinny is about being vain, and that vain people and "pretty" people are usually stupid. Sadly most of my coworkers consider me vain for watching my weight, losing weight, or caring how I look on a pair pf pants. I never thought wanting to be fit was a sin, perhaps the pants are a bit vain, but aside from that I know obesity runs in my family and I want to avoid it..

I lost from 155 to 145 while working here and then it started... the too thin comments, the "sorry not everyone wants to look like Barbie" and my personal favorites "whydo you want to lose weight" I try to explain before I got into nursing I was 140 (I am 5 8, so I am kind of tall) and 145 was actually above my normal weight. Now I am around 130lbs and everyone has a comment, especially when I say I want to get "in shape" they assume I mean thinner... when I explain I want abs a.d arm definition they either say "that's manly" or "that's vain" in fact the only one who supports my goals is my fiance and he was happy with me at all weights and sizes.

I ha e learned I cannot make everyone happy all the time, plus the only opinion that matters where MY figure is concerned is me. If I want to be 170 or 125 to be happy that is my business. Everyone can judge, but only my judgement of myself is relevant.

Do not mind typos... my cell phone likes to auto correct me.
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    I just walked away from one of those situations -lol. They want to tell me that I'm not eating enough and how my body is going to suffer. Well first of all you really don't know about my diet. My diet is calorie restrictive but I'm getting my required daily intake of carbs, protein and fat. I might not meet each category and some days I may exceed but still within or a little over my calorie goal. Just because I choose not to eat 2500 calories and more doesn't mean I'm going to die. And let me say I really feel like saying, "Are you really in the position to tell me about being healthy?" lol
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've found that people who are insecure about their own choices, their own weight or themselves in general tend to be the negative ones. I think it is a "we're all in this together" mentality. If you make better choices or choose to not eat something and they make not so great choices or choose to eat the unhealthy item - they feel like what they're doing is more noticeable.

I'm quite certain they know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods and when you choose a different path ... well, they get more insecure about their own choices. Misery loves company.

I've encountered MANY people who are overweight and VERY judgmental about the choices *I* am making. They are known for saying "oh, please.. 1 ______ (fill in the blank) won't kill you!" or "You know.. it won't make you gain a million pounds if you just have ______ this one time!".

No, I won't die from it nor will I gain a million pounds if I eat it. But, I just choose to eat something else. There's no crime in choosing to eat right, get healthy and lose weight. Unfortunately, I feel like - as a society - we treat weight loss, eating right and getting healthy as a crime against humanity. We've become too complacent and accept obesity as the norm now.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am vegan and on a calorie restricted diet so yes I do have to ask for "special" food and i always take along a salad or fruit. I like it I enjoy being different its all about your perspective I am doing what i feel is good and healthy for me and the planet so if others don't agree that's OK. I have long learned that sometimes there is nothing that I can say that will make someone else smarter so I usually don't bother.

My husband too can eat whatever he likes and is naturally thin so I buy him food that he likes that i am not particularly fond of and that makes it easier for me.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My housemate is the most negative influence in my life at the moment. She told my best friend that she is 150kg (or 330 pounds), about double my weight, and she does not seem interested in losing weight at all. She is constantly trying to get me to eat pizza, or red rooster, I think to make herself feel better about eating it. Whenever we talk about eating healthy she gets really quiet and doesn't participate in the conversation and gets a *****y look on her face because she doesn't like it. She uses a ton of oil when she cooks, even though she knows I don't like things really oily because I have a sensitive stomach.
    I just decided to eat what I want and if she wants to eat it too, then I'll make some for her, but otherwise she can get her own food.

I started losing weight last year and got a gym membership and then I got sick so that fell by the way-side. Before that I lost a few kilos and started toning up and I had customers telling me that I looked good, but I shouldn't lose any more weight because then I'd be too skinny. The way I see it, is that I'm losing weight to feel healthier and better in myself, so I'm going to get down to my goal weight again for me. Not anyone else.

Good on you for pushing through all the negativity. Feel free to friend me
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Mean people suck and the world is full of them. If you let them get to you, you'll never accomplish a thing. We generally end up doing what we want to do, we just seldom realize it. If you want to become healthy you will, if you don't, you won't. Many of the other responses summed it up very very well. Good luck to you. Be strong, be happy and be healthy, you can do this.