Exercise after the flu?

Options
I caught the flu on Wednesday so no exercise that nite....was still feeling to rundown to exercise last nite....so now do I do my full exercises tonite or do i modify it any?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Personally, I was out for a week when I had the flu, and then it took a bit of time after that to want to work out. I say take it easy. Give yourself a day or two to fully recover before you stress your body out.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Listen to your body. I was getting super worn down and didn't listen - I kept trying to keep up my training - and ended up on my back with bronchitis. It's killing me to wait til I'm fully recovered, but now I wished I would have listened to my body's signals instead of trying to push through.

You know what's best for you. I'm taking a full week off to recover, and even that's a squeeze....
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I had the flu and I tried to work out 20 min and I did it- but the next day the flu came back... failing to learn my lesson... I had the flu for a week. :blushing:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Ease back into it, do what you can handle.
  • faithfulrose
    faithfulrose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the stomach flu yesterday. Instead of working out today, I slept a little extra and now I'm cleaning my house. Wiping all the door knobs, counters, light switches, remotes, phones, washing all sheets and towels, scrubbing out the toilets, etc. It's not a typical workout, but after yesterday, it''s plenty for me. Plus, I'm hopefully keeping my family healthy.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Unless you still have noticeable symptoms below the throat such as a chest infection, there's no reason why you can't go back to full pelt really (unless other complications) ... However, if you're feeling ropey, you may be better off skipping the gym in case you;re still contagious (noone wants your bug and hopefully they'd return the same favour!) But you could go running outdoors gentley or on a long brisk walk and do some moderate calisthenics at home. :) x
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over mine now as well, and I have wondered the same. I feel perfectly fine today other then a sore throat. I want to go back to exercising, but I also don't want to be down with that for another few days. I think I'm going to give it the rest of today and see if I can get back to it next week.

I think if you are feeling ok, then try a little bit and see how your body feels.. and if you were like me 2 days ago, and felt like you got hit by a ton of bricks, I suggest leaving. lol