Seriously depressed!! just looking for some advice pls don't

Options
2»

Replies

• sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You never know what is around the corner. It's hard to see people who are landing these great jobs, and are seemingly leading these amazing lives. But everyone has their demons, whether or not they show them outright to the world. You will find what you're looking for. It's only a matter of time. Stay the course. That's the best possible advice I can give. :) Sending a friend request along with this.

I agree with you!!! I think some people on facebook portray a "perfect life" to make themselves feel better.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Google what words NOT to put on a resume. Try to stay positive! It takes awhile to find a new job, and nursing is a challenging field. Have you applied for nursing jobs outside your comfort zone/current living area? Some cities and states have larger shortages than others.

Also, I know it is difficult not to compare yourself to others, especially people you went to school with, but you truly don't need that vantage point. Lots of people put their best face forward in public or on networking sites - just because you think everything is golden for someone else doesn't mean their life is perfect.

My husband was unemployed for a year and wound up taking a job he was overqualified for and it didn't come close to his former salary - we all do what we have to. When I get depressed I try to list the blessings in my life, it helps. Stop focusing on the big picture if it seems too overwhelming. Go out in the sunshine and breathe some fresh air!
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Aw, ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

This is just a temporary thing. You won't be out of work forever. Maybe a lesson you have to learn about having faith in yourself? I realize you are stressed and depressed now, but you will be okay. Is there anything positive right now about this, anything? And while your friends jobs might seem "killer", the grass on the other side of the fence always seems greener.

You don't know what's coming along for you. We never know what life has in store, but what about today is relatively good? What could be worse? Can you use this time to focus on your health and learn to relax? Nursing is pretty stressful, from the looks of it.

Take care of yourself.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Its not you, its the economy. Keep your chin up. Things will turn around. They always do.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    THINK LIKE AN EMPLOYMENT RECRUITER! Job sites like Monster and Career Builder are huge databases of information. The search process is very impersonal. The hiring manager or human resources personnel will open an account and list open job positions and a job description. When they search for job applicants they are looking for poeple who MATCH criteria they have listed as required or preferred. My tip is to search these "dot coms" and other areas of the internet for the job description(s) that closely relates to the job(s) you are applying for. Identify each area where your skills match the job description and then make edits to ADD key words to your resume. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Use as many of the free services as are available to you. Keep up the hard work!! and try to relax.... kids, animals, and human resource personnel can smell fear and despiration (LMAO "that is supposed to be a joke") ....seriously... I am sure you are feeling overwhelmed and fearful at the thought of student loan debt coming due. Don't skip payments. Call the student loan finance companies and ask for a deferment based on your unemployment status. Best of Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada.

I have not yet applied to agencies. I guess I could try that

if you're an RN you can literally work anywhere...go to wowjobs.ca and type in registered nurse. and get some confidence, if you walk into an interview with your shoulders drooping and pre-disappointment on your face, I'm not hiriing you
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada.

Where do you live in Canada?

RN's are paid very well here in SK.
    Would you be willing to relocate and gain some experience?
  • trying2findmyway
    Options
    I live in Canada.

if you're an RN you can literally work anywhere...go to wowjobs.ca and type in registered nurse. and get some confidence, if you walk into an interview with your shoulders drooping and pre-disappointment on your face, I'm not hiriing you

anywhere eh? lol not quite.
    Well, I've only had one interview. I was nervous (first nursing interview) but I thought it went well.. sent a thank you card and etc but I didnt get the position.
    Yes there are postings but they also want experience.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    My Mom was a nursing recruiter for years and she hired new Rn's even though their ad's stated a preference for experience. I say apply and see what happens. Nursing is an awesome career. I'm hoping once my youngest is in school I can go back to school to get my RN. Good luck I totally understand where you are coming from a debt like that must be extremely scary!
    ~Hugs.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The economy sucks right now, and no one wants new graduates because they have "experienced:new grad" ratios they need to stay within, and it honestly costs a lot of money for them to orient and train new employees.

I graduated in May, and I finally start my job at my dream hospital (#1 in the US) in two weeks on a very cool unit.. It was more than worth the wait. Just hang in there, become certified in ACLS and/or PALS to make yourself more marketable, and try to be patient.

I sat for 6 months, put in Hundreds of applications, and I was very discouraged.. You WILL get a job. Don't lose hope.

Actually, if you can get a nurse recruiter's number.. CALL THEM. They helped me out tremendously.