Sweet Potato fries and Low Carb???/

I am craving french fries soooo badly and have a whole bag of Frozen Sweet Potato fries calling my name. Are they bad for me? I hear that you can actually sit and eat double the amount of sweet potato fries than you could regular potato fries. Is this true?

Replies

• Barbarablw
    Barbarablw Posts: 47 Member
    Yes as long as they are baked, or broiled =) enjoy they are sooo yummy
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Nope. Not true. Sweet potatoes may have more nutrients, & be "better for you" in that way. But they have just as many sugars & carbs as regular potatoes. Avoid them if you're doing low carb.

Or, if you want to indulge in something high carb, do what I do: buy your treat, get into your workout clothes & sneakers, turn on the Wii (or go to the gym, whatever), then sit & eat your treat. Immediately afterwards, do a 20-30 minute workout to ensure that all of those carbs get burned right away & have no chance to turn into fat. :smile: I've never craved sweet potato fries, but I do indulge in a Snickers bar occasionally this way. Good luck to you!
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    my sweet potato fries have the same carbs per serving as my fries (24g/3 oz) they have 10 calories less (140 vs 150). But as another poster said, the sweet potato fries will have other goodness in them :)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Sweet potatoes are lower glycemic index than regular potatoes. I would imagine, as other posters have said, that they have the same number of carbs. Your body requires carbs to function so I would say eat them as long as you don't go crazy and eat the whole bag.
  • Eat a small portion and then go work off all the glucose. Problem solved.

OR plan a cheat meal and go nuts.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I am craving french fries soooo badly and have a whole bag of Frozen Sweet Potato fries calling my name. Are they bad for me? I hear that you can actually sit and eat double the amount of sweet potato fries than you could regular potato fries. Is this true?
    No they are not bad for you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Eat a small portion and then go work off all the glucose. Problem solved.

OR plan a cheat meal and go nuts.

You don't even have to work them off. Just fit them in your daily calorie goal and enjoy.