What do YOU do to combat the binge

Options
OK, so I feel like I am going over old ground here all the time but thats because I havent found anything which works. I SERIOUSLY lack self control and self discipline. These are my main problems. If I could overcome these I wouldnt need to be on here.

When I get tired, run down or depressed I WANT to reach for the junk, or pretty much eat anything in my way. I know that doing so will only make me regret it after the urge to binge has gone (namely because I feel sick) but I literally cant rationalise with myself when I am stuck in this state of mind.

So, my question is, have any of you found anything out there that helps? I've tried the think of something else, distractions etc but there is some wierd switch that goes off in my head which can only be turned off once I have done what I know i shouldnt do.

Help? I am never going to be able to lose the weight I want to until I have addressed this problem.

Replies

• pianokeyteeth
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I had an answer for you. I struggle with the same problem =(
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    you can just not buy those junk foods and when you get the urge to binge, you will only find healthy foods which will not have the same effect. look in your grocery cart and see what will NOT help me reach my goal and take it out. With myself i know i cannot have the food moderately. if u want some junk get 1 snack size candy or ice cream 1 serving cup.
    you can buy things like rasberries or black berries which are really low calories. they are sweet and might help when u want to binge. or now they have freeze dried fruit which is low calorie with no added sugar.- not having those foods around for me works when i decided to go hunting in the kitchen :)
  • MyaMya2
    Options
    every time you feel like eating something that's going to be bad for you, brush your teeth. nothing tastes nice after that.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Pretend it didn't happen
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this a lot, mainly if the foods I have are carb heavy or have added sugar. I just start drinking liquid and/or brush my teeth. Drinking tea or coffee tricks my body into thinking I'm giving it food, water fills you up if you can push yourself to drink it when you get cravings. Other that that, if you must cave and eat something, even if you aren't really that hungry, I would reach for some veggies or fruit. My favorite is veggies dipped in hummus. Healthy and filling (if you like hummus).

These should hopefully turn off that binge switch. Hope this helps! Good luck.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What I did was give myself a "7 Day Challenge." 7 days straight of being under my calorie goal. Then I told myself I could have a cheat day and eat whatever I wanted. I did the 7 days (and this was during the end of the quarter, so I had projects and tests and was up past midnight every night) and made myself stick to it. By the end of the week, when it came time for my cheat day, I ended up not even eating 2000 calories that day because I was so proud of what I had accomplished in that week. And since proving to myself that I could do 7 days in a row like that and not be miserable, I've had much less trouble resisting binges and temptations.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I binge on a bag of Orville Reddenbacher movie theater butter popcorn. 88 calories for an entire bag.

Or sugar free instant jell-o pudding if I want something sweet.
  • raeka23
    Options
    Something i do. i have one really good friend. And i have told him anytime i get in that place he needs to tell me no. Not anytime i want a bite of chocolate or something but when i just feel like im desperately wanting to go over board. so i call him or text him when i get that way. And he talks me down. Maybe you cant reason with yourself but someone else can. Plus you'll feel responsible to someone else. And that someone else will know. So for me thats a motivation not to do it.
  • valier_l
    valier_l Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with soniaa777. Just don't keep the junk around. I have the same problem, compounded by working from home. So I'll get bored or stressed, I'll walk to the pantry/fridge looking for junk to stuff in my mouth. Al that's there are things like beans, almonds, fruits & veggies. So I either eat a healthy snack or just walk back to the desk thanking the heavens that I did not buy Doritos last time I was at the store.

I think it's become a cliche around here, but it's true: it's easier to walk past it once in the grocery store than it is to walk by it every time you enter your kitchen.

NEVER go grocery shopping hungry. That's what usually causes me to buy the junk food.

Good luck! Don't get discouraged, and keep at it!
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I give myself two free bites of ANYTHING on any given day. TWO BITES. Maybe that would address the craving issue perhaps. I have somewhat gotten over those cravings and hardly ever use my two bites. In the beginning it helped me get over the hump.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too!

I generally try to avoid buying 'bad' food, because if it is in the house, I WILL reach for it. I also keep a lot of low cal snacks around so I can munch throughout the day without undoing everything--100-cal pudding snacks, rice cakes, and low fat waffles. The low fat Nutrigrain waffles from Leggo are a godsend for me, because they're low fat, low cal, easy to make, and the whole grains fill me up.

In the event that I do end up caving and buying a 'bad' snack (like I did the other day, and now I have Marzipan cakes in my freezer! ): I was doing so well, too!), I just really, really have to keep myself to 1 serving size a day. It's hard, but I log it every time I have some of it, and then try to keep it to the back of the fridge so that when I hit the fridge for a snack, it's not the first thing I see.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this too, and though I still slip up every now and then, I've figured out a few things that work for me.

First, I try to figure out WHY I feel the urge to eat. Am I actually hungry, or just sad/tired/bored? If I'm craving a specific thing, I ask myself why. Do I want pizza because of the carbs? Do I want the sugar in ice cream? Am I stuck on cheeseburgers because my body wants protein? If I can figure out what nutrient my body is trying to tell me it needs, then I'll find a healthy alternative to my trigger foods: a bowl of (measured) brown rice with stir fry veggies for carbs, fruit for sugar, greek yogurt or eggs for protein as a snack. At first it takes a bit of digging, but cravings are often there because our body wants or needs something we haven't given it enough of, and if you really pay attention you can learn to recognize that.

If I know that I'm not hungry and my cravings are based in emotions, I try to figure out what made me feel that way in the first place. Tired? Take a nap or drink a mug of strong tea, or go do something active. Sad? Journaling out your feelings can help, or talking it out with a friend. If I'm just bored and looking for something to do, well, pick up a hobby!

Good luck with it, and if all else fails, just focus on what you'll feel like AFTER you binge. That's a pretty big motivator not to do it!
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I second the instant sugar free pudding. It will seriously fill you up and isn't nearly as bad for you as cookies and brownies.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is getting to that place where you want to binge - for me, the binge starts long before the bag of chips get ripped open. If I want to be able to have a healthy relationship with my body I have to be healthy - that means dealing with stress in other ways and taking care of myself so that I don't get into that "red zone" where no food is off limits.

If you usually get the urge to binge when your stress level hits an 8, for example, figure out how to take care of yourself - even make lifestyle changes if you need - so that your stress level stays below a 7.

Easier said than done, I know, but I hope that makes sense.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit is low in calories and I pair it with light n fit yogurt. 1 cup of both is less than 150 calories and it fills me up for a bit. That would be a great snack. You can get away with eating a lot of fresh fruits because they are low calorie. I have grapes in my fridge too.

Also, if you are doing it just because you are bored... Find something to do!!! When I find myself walking around the kitchen and looking through the cabinets etc I have to find a way to keep my mind busy. Most of the time my kids keep me busy.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chan1993
    Options
    I find that when I am anxious or unsettled I reach for food. This has been an issue for me for years. I also suffered from eating disorders, so I have experience in this department. I have seen therapists and psycologists and the answer seems to be the same....When we are unhappy we have low levels of seratonin the feel good/happy hormone. Having sweets/carbs junk gives a boost to seratonin levels..temporarily. Then the cycle continues up and down. They have suggested I try meditation, and yoga to calm and centre my mind and balance the hormones. Easier said than done. BUT I will tell you that meditation, just stopping, breathing for 10-15 minutes to calm your mind really helps. I wrote a post the other day about GABA, it's supposed to help people with alcohol addiction, anxiety, depression etc. I found that in the past few days I have been calmer and have been sleeping better. It is worth looking into.

Good luck, :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Personally, the thing that has been most helpful to me to end binge-like behavior has been my work with a therapist. It was not why I sought therapy, but I've learned that my eating habits are amazingly intertwined with pretty much all of my other "issues." So by dealing with those, I am finding that I am having more success controlling my eating.

I did also consult a nutritionist (and was thrilled that my insurance covered it 100%!) to address issues similar to those in your post. These are the main suggestions that she gave me:

1. Mindful Eating. You sit down with your food and NO DISTRACTIONS--no screens, reading materials, screaming kids--and appreciate your food using multiple senses (smell, appearance, texture) and then you eat each bite and really take the time to think about you're doing and to truly enjoy the food.

2. Waiting 10 minutes (or whatever amount of time). Maybe take this time to write in a journal about how you're FEELING because in these situations it's generally not hunger.

-LP
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. So many great suggestions here. This is why I love MFP because there are so many people out there who understand and help.

Thanks. Just reading up on the internet about self discipline training and will power. So far I have found that challenging yourself to do things you do want to do, i.e. do it now dont put it off til later really helps to train your mind into being self disciplined and strengthen will power. So, from now on I am going to tell myself do it now NOT later. Hopefully this will make me more self disciplined and build up some will power so I can talk myself out of binging and reason with myself why I am acting the way I am.

Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Pretend it didn't happen

:laugh: pretttty much

ETA: there's also a binge eating support group on here that you can look up :)