calories versus protein

Options
I seem to have a problem in reaching my daily caloric intake (1200) and staying under 45 for protein. Anyone else out there with this problem. I keep racking my brain trying to make menus that will help me to stay within my daily allotments. The woman's day flat flush diet soup (which is absolutely delicious) is a no no with 31 gr. of protein with each serving. Either I each my daily calories and exceed the protein level or I stay within the protein numbers and not each enough calories.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the protein as a limiting ceiling - 45g is not that high, you can take in around 100g with no problems.

Work on your calories first and foremost, fine tune the rest later.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    45 gr of protein is far too low.... i strive for 60-80 at least to preserve lean muscle mass
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    I opt to keep things simple, for longer term success. I don't track carb, protein etc. I track my calories only and try and choose foods that help me feel good and satisfied. I have some protein in all my meals and snacks and try and encorporate a healthy amount of veg in each of my main meals! and I drink TONS of water... ok well not TONS but 8-10 glasses! which seems a ton to me. In the summer I drank more, but now find I don't drink as much now that the cooler weather is upon us! I do make changes to my protein etc if I am having digestive issues or hunger! Good luck
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically sets protein FAR too low. You can change your macro split in settings.

I see carbs, fat, sat fat, sodium & sugar as limits, goals to stay under. I see protein as a goal to achieve, a minimum to reach and exceed if possible. Protein rich foods are good for you, particularly if you workout.

I'd recommend about a 50/30/20 carb/protein/fat split as a general 'most people' guide which is pretty easily achievable and about right. 40/40/20 or even more protein if you lift. Although that's a generalisation, read more into it and do what works for you and your goals...

Jay
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    MFP's guidelines are based on what your body needs in order to be healthy. But the amount of protein you need for sustained health is very different from the amount of protein you need if you're trying to either build muscle or lose weight. Protein does many jobs: it's used for fuel, yes, "calories." But it's also used to build muscle. And it's also a key part of the chemical reaction that burns fat. So if you're trying to lose weight, you should really adjust your ratios to allow for more protein, and consider that number a minimum, rather than a maximum.

Most people recommend that, if you're trying to lose weight, you should try to eat as many protein grams per day a the number of pounds you weigh. When I started this journey, I weighed about 300 lb. So I ate 300g of protein every day. About 50g of protein every 3 hours. Now I've lost over 50 lb, so I've dropped my protein to 45g per meal/snack. This is the only weight-loss strategy that has ever worked for me, in 20 years of trying.

Everyone's metabolism is different. But I certainly wouldn't worry about getting "too much" protein, especially if you're only eating 45g per day. Like I said, not all of the protein you eat ends up being burned as a calorie, and you really need it for healthy muscles.
  • kabloozi
    kabloozi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jay, Limit sugars, fats and not neccessary to reach the other but protien is an important goal to reach...carbs and others can wait...you'll burn it off with exercise too. Great job!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically sets protein FAR too low. You can change your macro split in settings.

I see carbs, fat, sat fat, sodium & sugar as limits, goals to stay under. I see protein as a goal to achieve, a minimum to reach and exceed if possible. Protein rich foods are good for you, particularly if you workout.
    Yes. This. Exactly. :smile:
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    nsblue!!! Did you really lose 294 lbs.? I am in awe - How did you do it and how long did it take you? I hope you can share your weight loss journey with me.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You would want to have lots of protien. I just recently upped my protien to 122grms a day and I feel MUCH better. My stomach doesn't hurt, I don't have a bloted stomach anymore and I just feel stronger. Protien helps the body release endorphins.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend that, if you're trying to lose weight, you should try to eat as many protein grams per day a the number of pounds you weigh.

This!

In fact I don't use a macro split strictly. I go for 1.1g protein per pound bodyweight on a cut (current) and about 1.4g or more per pound on a bulk. Then I take 20% of cals from fat (with one third of that being sat fat allowance), and whatever's left I give to carbs. Completely randomly, at my current 160lb on a cut that works out to almost exactly a 40/40/20 split. But as I change weight I adjust using this formula rather than a direct macro percentage split.

Although all that's a bit technical for general weightloss purposes... Which is why I simply recommend a 40/40/20 split as a generalisation....

Jay
  • cookikim71
    Options
    My Md just told me that the protein is the most important part.
  • KrystleZia
    Options
    I aim to get at least 80 grams of protein a day. On my 1300 calories per day goal that can be tricky (I actually eat more like 1600 calories a day and burn 300 of them off in exercise, so that I net 1300). I've come up with some things to eat that stay at at least 8 grams of protein per 100 calories. For example, Zoi Greek Yogurt Plain (8oz) with 3 tsp brown sugar is 182 calories and 15 grams of protein. Just now I was experimenting with making peanut butter cookies with soy protein powder to satisfy my sweet tooth and stick to that ratio...I managed to make some that are 158 calories each with 13 g of protein each. They are not the best cookies I've ever had but they are probably the healthiest ;)

The reason I aim to get so much protein is because I'm trying to tone up and the LAST thing I want is to lose muscle instead of fat :)