Where does everyone get...

Options
a lot of their recipes from? I just joined today and I have been reading the numerous topics on these boards and I was just wondering if a lot of people use WW recipes, Cooking light, etc. I seen Hungry Girl mentioned, along with KRAFT, do you try to buy a lot of fat free or light foods. I have been following WW off and on and I do have a lot of wonderful recipes from them but is seems that the more fat free you go the more sodium content you have to deal with. Just curious on how everyone does there cooking and grocery shopping.:smile:

Replies

• TammieD
    TammieD Posts: 22
    Options
    a lot of their recipes from? I just joined today and I have been reading the numerous topics on these boards and I was just wondering if a lot of people use WW recipes, Cooking light, etc. I seen Hungry Girl mentioned, along with KRAFT, do you try to buy a lot of fat free or light foods. I have been following WW off and on and I do have a lot of wonderful recipes from them but is seems that the more fat free you go the more sodium content you have to deal with. Just curious on how everyone does there cooking and grocery shopping.:smile:
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't use the fat free or light stuff because I don't like the taste. I make sure to only have a little bit. Moderation is the key!
  • stewbigelow
    stewbigelow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have tried to make healthier choices, but still buy normal food. I just don't eat as much of it. I have used this site for about three weeks. I noticed within the last week that I am finally beginning to feel satisfied with smaller amounts of the normal food. I have just been logging my calories, and walking most days 30 minutes. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I like the Hungry Girl Website. I also like the Biggest Loser cookbooks.

I'll be honest, I DON'T buy a lot of fat free or light foods. I don't buy a lot of fat free or light foods for several reasons:
    1 - I LIKE to eat. I LIKE the taste of food, the texture of food, etc. Many of the fat free or light foods don't taste good... so I feel like I'm "wasting" calories on something I don't enjoy.
    2 - Added sodium, added chemicals, added processing, etc. I like to eat as close to "clean" as I can...
    3 - More expensive.

I've found that most of my problem with food comes in portion control I'm learning to eat A serving. I DO buy some fat free or reduced fat cheeses.. because once a week I make a mexican dish and I like cheese... but I can't do the full fat stuff and stay within my calories. In general though, I eat "regular" food - I just eat less of it.

I try to focus less on the calories and more on the quality of what I'm eating. I don't eat white rice, white pasta, white bread... I really enjoy the Arnold Sandwich Thins - that are like flat buns - they're 100 calories per bun and when I want a turkey burger or sandwich - they satisfy my bread craving.

I eat a lot of lean meats, veggies and fruit.

My way of cooking has changed A LOT. I used to be a casserole cook... anything with sauce, cheese or cream in it... potatoes, noodles, etc. Now, we do a salad with every meal, some sort of protein, 2 vegetables and a starch. I like the whole wheat egg noodles, brown rice and corn.

Hope that helps!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Go to the recipe board on here & look around. There's some great stuff over there. I've also had great success with Cooking Light recipes.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Same here. I have smaller portions of high cal foods and fill up on veggies. I also have 2 clean meals and one meal (usually dinner) with my favorite full calorie foods. I work out hard for them but this works for me.
    I don't use the fat free or light stuff because I don't like the taste. I make sure to only have a little bit. Moderation is the key!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I don't buy many processed foods - not so many fat free or low cal products.
    I use lean meats, veggies, whole grains.
    A typical meal is grilled chicken, raw veggies - celery, red peppers, pea pods, string cheese. Lots of salads, some dressing, not too much.
    Processed altered foods cost a lot more.
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't use recipes much when I am serious about losing weight. I eat fresh.. as in raw. Bananas, strawberries, veggies, Edamame (steamed in the pod) nuts, plain yogurt sweetened with Stevia (an herb) and flavored with vanilla, oat meal with Jay Robb Whey powder added so I get more protein. Grilled fish and chicken with very little in the way of seasoning. Canned chicken breast.
    I do throw in some skinny cow ice cream treats when I am on my higher calorie days. I avoid artificial sweeteners in favor of a little sugar in moderation.... those 140 calorie ice cream sandwiches make a huge treat. I got caught on the road today so I did grilled chicken wraps, one from Wendys and one from MacDonalds. When you eat five times a day, who has time for recipes. But I do make shakes with fat free cottage cheese, plain yogurt, whey powder, strawberries and a banana. Blended in a real blender, it is thick as a milk shake and the fruit and Stevia make it a sweet treat. This week I discovered 100 calorie packs of quacomole. It gets easier every week to find decent alternatives.... if I just remember to bring my reading glasses to the store so I can check the labels! There are tons of recipes on line... I make healthy substitutions in old family favorites. Lean ground beef and whole wheat pasta make a healthier version of spaghetti and meatballs.... the biggest problem is relearning portions. At my house growing up, the rule was "He who eats the fastest gets the mostest". I try to fill up on a big toss salad before diving into the pasta. And I avoid the bread, although on a high day (1800 calories instead of 1200) I have been known to buy fresh whole wheat dinner rolls from the bakery, and use olive oil with Italian seasoning as a dipping sauce instead of butter.
    Good luck and welcome.