late night eating

Options
My biggest set back is late night eating. It should be so easy to just stop. It makes you feel so silly. Does anybody else have this problem? Any tips other than the obvious?:blushing:

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I get the munchies every evening. Hot tea helps keep them under control.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure this one out....and end of the week self sabotaging. :(
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Late night eating doesn't make you gain weight. Eating over the calories required does. It doesn't matter what time the calories go in.
  • annabananana
    Options
    i always just go to bed to prevent night eating!
  • sweethinkr
    Options
    I have this problem too. ONly thing that works, I brush my teeth and go to bed. If I'm not tired I read, but since the rest of the house is now dark, I don't tend to go to the kitchen as easily.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Gum? Drink a lot of water... Have a waterbottle to sip on. Most times people feel more "full" when they drink more liquids. OR have healthy munchies. Like broccoli/cauliflower.
  • RawkChick
    RawkChick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I finish my diet and exercise journal for the day. There's just something that clicks in my brain when I click the complete button that makes my food for the day feel finished. Also, drink more water, especially when you feel hungry.
  • bubblesandbappo
    bubblesandbappo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is so frustrating. If I had the same mind set as during the day, my eating problems would be solved. I think the bushing teeth helps a little. Thanks sweetthinkr. But not eating sometimes feels as though I am punishing myself.
  • bubblesandbappo
    Options
    Yes the water drinking also helps. I downloaded an app that reminds you to drink water throughout the day. But the water-works become untenable. I can't believe the volume of water that is recommended.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    yes! I recently discovered if possible- I take my dinner and eat it in portions over longer time: ex. if the meal is chicken, baked potato, and broccoli....I will eat the potato around 5, have the chicken around 6 and the broccoli later. It gives me something to look forward to and really detours my snacking. Not always possible, but sometimes--otherwise I try subbingsomething healthier- like lowfat ch. milk for a piece of candy. Hope this helps!
  • bubblesandbappo
    Options
    Yes thanks very much. All are appreciated.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Me too with the late night munchies. Husband goes to night school, so I wait for him to get home, and often that means I get bored, and start munching. I've started to plan my day around that, making sure that I have a couple extra hundred for my night snack. The water helps too, and if I don't have calories, brushing my teeth and finding something to keep my hands busy.
  • bubblesandbappo
    Options
    Yes. I think those are good tips!
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    I know I'm way behind on this post, but I just searched the topic because this is my life!!! I do such a good job during the day and then I get home, eat dinner, work out, then sit down to work some more and all I want to do is stuff my face!!!! I've tried the brushing the teeth and drinking water, but neither has worked. Going to bed isn't practical because I have to work at home in the evenings. I LOVE this idea of breaking up my dinner!! I can't wait to try it tonight!!
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    I'm also late on this thread. I have a late schedule so I don't eat in the earlier AM hours, but I'll eat something before, during, and after work late at night. I don't think this is healthy because I feel like the last time I'm eating really shouldn't be a meal. There is no way of working it off unless you workout late at night. Any other ideas on how to change this?
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I just bought some sugar free jello and some light cool whip for my late night cravings. U can have alot of it without many cals at all. And it's soooo filling :) And it's cheap :)
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    Does anyone know the physiology of this? Do we want to eat in case we need to stay up so our bodies want the extra cals to get us through?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Small bowl of cereal does the trick for me
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oh are you kidding me??LOL I could do perfectly all day but after dinner I get major munchies!! What I just did for tonight was have 1 piece of a homemade raw vegan protein bar which of course I know the calories of (160) now that I found this website lol....then since I was still hungry, 1 slice sprouted grain bread (55 cal) with 1/2 tbsp peanut butter (45) and now a cup of chai tea with a splash unsweetened almond milk (9 cal) I feel good about tonight because I feel satisfied enough and not like I'm restricting too much. Maybe you can find some snacks like that so you wont feel so bad if you do end up eating late at night...I know I always will lol
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I finish my diet and exercise journal for the day. There's just something that clicks in my brain when I click the complete button that makes my food for the day feel finished. Also, drink more water, especially when you feel hungry.

I feel tht way too about the completing todays post.....very awesome:)