The dreaded 250...

Options
Hello everyone!

I am super frustrated at the moment. Really. Frustrated.

In 2008 I started dieting on my own, taught myself eating smaller portions and by the end of 2009 I was 40 lbs down.
I started at 298 lbs just as reference.

Well ever since the end of 2009, I don't seem to lose anymore weight and it's driving me insane. I've tried everything. Drinking more, exercise, eating more, eating less... but NOTHING works in the long run.

I am right now stuck at 250 and it feels like I've been forever stuck here!!!

Right now, with my current weight, Myfitness pal says I should have 2200 calories a day to lose 1 pound every week. The thing is that, no matter how hard I try, I can't eat more than 1500 cal. They say, if you eat less you lose more, but I start to think that this might not be my case.

Maybe I am not losing weight because I am eating too little? But then again, I've been eating like this since 2008 and it used to work... until recently.

I forgot to mention I have a condition called Lipedema, which is basically that I have permanently swollen legs, cause they have a huge tendency to retain liquids. My legs look HUGE compared to my body. I have a 34 inch waist and 51 inch hips.

With all this in mind... could someone please help me out?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If MFP wants you to eat 2200 calories - try doing it. Add in higher calorie foods (not junk, but things like nuts, nut butter, etc) to get your total calories up closer to the recommendation.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    you skip meals, and your food choices some days could be better also water consumption could go up.

Good luck
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    You say that you have been eating less calories for this long and it "used" to work. But it hasn't worked in two years. So why not try eating MORE calories? I think you are eating too little.

Find foods that have a lot of calories for a little amount. 2 Tbs spoons of PB add 180-200 calories. Put some PB on a Banana and you've got yourself an eat 300 calorie snack. Eat a hand full of almonds, those will get you some calories fast.

Either exercise a lot less or start eating a lot more.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I had lap band surgery in 2006. I started out at 335 and lost 80 lbs in about 6 months but could never get below 250 (other than a bad stomach virus week) and I am still not. I gained a few pounds back and got really frustrated yo-yoing between 252-256. I gave up for a few years. Fast forward to 2011. I started MFP earlier this year and GAINED weight eating 1600 calories a day and walking. I stopped again. Last month I set new goals to lose 2lbs/week which gave me 1300 calories a day. (I sometimes eat my exercise calories...) I have lost 12 lbs so far (still above 250!) I am drinking tons of water and walking 30 minutes 4 days a week. I hope this helps...
  • Lauren_Whitney
    Lauren_Whitney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid function checked out? hypothyroidism can cause weight gain/make it hard to lose weight etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353/DSECTION=symptoms
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have talked w/the trainers at my gym, and they say stick w/a 1200-1500 calorie diet period...eat EVERY 3 hrs. Could you have a thyroid issue? Hypoactivethyroidism will prevent you from losing weight, it could also be a iodine deficiency which you can just take supplements for.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising at ALL then you should be eating the calories outlined. Your body is using those calories as fuel and if you have a fuel deficit (a.k.a. lack of calories) your body is going to respond poorly as though you are starving yourself! It might be hanging on because it's conserving.

If you are not exercising, that is when cutting calories does the most work in my experience and via research. You can still have adverse effects if you are not eating enough - everyone's body responds differently.

Like the others say, skipping meals is bad, cutting calories (esp. while exercising) is bad; make sure you get in higher calorie foods that are still nutritious. While it sucks trying to eat more than you feel you need to (funny problem to have as most of us are the opposite ;D) it's SO important to get your nutrition in. When you get the right balance of calories/exercise, unless you have a medical issue, you *will* see results :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What is your lifestyle setting? Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active or Very Active? At 1 pound a week weight loss, you have a 500 calorie deficit, so the "Maintenance" number is 2700 calories, which is on the high end unless you have a very active lifestyle.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have talked w/the trainers at my gym, and they say stick w/a 1200-1500 calorie diet period...eat EVERY 3 hrs. Could you have a thyroid issue? Hypoactivethyroidism will prevent you from losing weight, it could also be a iodine deficiency which you can just take supplements for.

Everyone is different. I hate when I see trainers trying to make one thing work for everyone. It isn't how it works. If the OP wants to seek the advice of her own trainer, great.. but please don't follow generalized recommendations. I'm a 5'4, 145lb female. They recommend I consume around 1800 calories a day. That is far too low for me. I am currently maintaining my weight consuming around 2500 (net) calories a day.

If I were to follow the "1200-1500 calorie diet period" - I would be threatening to eat my own limbs or someone else's. That simply isn't enough calories for me (and may not be for other people too).
  • hideko
    hideko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

To reply to some people, I am not skipping meals on purpose. Sometimes I don't have breakfast because I wake up late and I just have lunch, but all in all I always make 4 to 5 meals a day. It's not just breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have a meal between lunch and dinner, and another light one after dinner (I go to sleep very late). I always try to each once every 2 - 3 hours cause I know that keeps my metabolism working.
    About the thyroid issue, I got tested on it when I was a kid. I don't know if it can develop in adulthood, but all I know is that I started trying losing weight at the early age of 3, and it's been like this all my life. I have a lot of history of overweight people running in my family so it is harder to fight.
    I might have to go to the doctor again. But each one of my nutritionist experiences have been AWFUL and I just don't wanna repeat it. I did all the pre-surgery for the stomach reduction surgery but as my weight is not as high now, all doctors lost interest on me. And I am afraid to go again to a nutritionist to just be given a standard "do this and don't do this" paper and just it. It's a waste of time.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Here is an article that will give you general guidelines of what you should be eating and what type of exercises your should be doing. Are you wearing compression garments while exercising?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302762-diet-and-exercise-with-lymphedema/

Find a RD that you like so they can guide you in setting your caloric needs. It changes as we lose weight. Lymphedema has to be controlled during the weight loss process. It might be time to get a checkup and discuss these issues with your physician. Only he/she knows your medical history. Good luck.