Cameras

Options
So, I've always loved photography. I've had the same point & shoot digital camera for 6 years but I'd reallyyyyy love to have a camera that takes crisp photos. I extremely love photos that are blurry in the background and just focus on whatever you're actually shooting. Of course, DSLR cameras are the way to go but 1. they seem extremely bulky and heavy and 2. there seems to be lots other accessories that I'll need to get. I'm wondering if a top notch expensive point and shoot would be enough.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on camera's :-)

I'm willing to buy a DSLR but wouldn't wanna pay more than 700 since I'm a beginner.

Replies

• BeccaAnderton
    Options
    The images you get will depend on the way you use the camera, I'm a photography student, and when I'm doing uni work I use top of the range Nikon's with special lens' etc, which are bulky and expensive as you say. I would argue that with a top of the range point and shoot, you would be able to get good quality images, just not necessarily as good a quality. I also have my own Olympus e420, with just a basic lens, and that works really well for me when I'm not doing full on studio work :) You could try the Panasonic Lumix as it's pretty much a cross over of the two, and Panasonic are a very good camera brand :)
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I love photography too. I have a Cannon but its too bulky I want a DSLR but like you I'd rather have something easier to travel with. Looking forward to what other feed back you get. Also, photobucket has a great editor so you might be able to MAKE your pictures look like that. :)
  • bluebutterflyzz
    bluebutterflyzz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I used to use photobucket all the time for editing and now I use filterstorm on my ipad.

I took this photo and made it look a bit better.

754abd91.jpg
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    i bought the Rebel ti1a while back...I love it! it's about $600 or so.
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    There are so many Panasonic lumixs. Not sure what the plural is lol Is it also true that the higher the pixel the better the quality?
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    Hmm best buy has the rebel t1i for 750 :-(
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    There are so many Panasonic lumixs. Not sure what the plural is lol Is it also true that the higher the pixel the better the quality?

Yes, the higher pixel number means there are more individual dots in the photo. The easiest way to describe this is, have you ever seen one of those large works of art that is made out of a bunch of smaller photographs? Well, each one of those photographs would be a pixel. The more pixels in the large picture, the more defined the large picture.

We are not serious photographers, but I've worked for a photographer in the past and like a good photograph. Our current camera is a Nikon CoolPix L120. It's on the lower end of the market - I think we paid about $275 for it, but it does a good job.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I used to use photobucket all the time for editing and now I use filterstorm on my ipad.

I took this photo and made it look a bit better.

754abd91.jpg

Hey hey!! :) I love me some photo bucket. I could spend hours on there. Try taking a picture of yourself and making it blurry I've done that before and made it black and white and sharper and it turned out pretty cool.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest the Canon s90, or something similar.

I'm a photographer, and this is what I carry- it's an amazing little camera, and lets you have creative control if need be. There's no use in rushing out to buy an expensive DSLR, only to have to lug it around and only use it in auto mode (which I see so many people doing nowadays).
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    Using auto settings is something I'd most likely end up doing. Does the canon s90 have auto settings?
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    I'd suggest the Canon s90, or something similar.

I'm a photographer, and this is what I carry- it's an amazing little camera, and lets you have creative control if need be. There's no use in rushing out to buy an expensive DSLR, only to have to lug it around and only use it in auto mode (which I see so many people doing nowadays).

OMG! I just checked out the canon powershot s95 on amazon. The pix that people have uploaded look AMAZING! And it's only $300. I THINK I might've found my camera!
  • advan031
    advan031 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's more the photographer than the camera...hehe if you'd like a camera to grow into then a DSLR wouldn't be bad choice. You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon.
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    It's more the photographer than the camera...hehe if you'd like a camera to grow into then a DSLR wouldn't be bad choice. You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon.

I agree. Not to toot my own horn but I've taken pretty awesome pictures with just my camera phone! LOL

I'm almost sold on the cannon powershot s95.
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    Ahhh the Cannon G12 10MP has nice images too!!! It's $430 on amazon.
  • advan031
    Options
    The best camera is the one you have with you:) Phone these days have pretty good cameras. S95 is a great point and shoot and I believe it has the same sensor as the G12(or very similar). I'd get the S95 as it'll be easier to carry anywhere you go.
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    The best camera is the one you have with you:) Phone these days have pretty good cameras. S95 is a great point and shoot and I believe it has the same sensor as the G12(or very similar). I'd get the S95 as it'll be easier to carry anywhere you go.

I wonder what the weight difference is between the 2. Maybe the 150 difference means better quality????????
  • advan031
    Options
    S95 will be lighter for sure and it's "pocketable" while the G12 isn't. G12 will have more bells and whistles.

vid review on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jto9C5uZIWU
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    It's not about the camera body as much as the lens. You can have a 12k dollar camera body with a crap lens and take horrid photos. Conversely, you can put a nice lens on a mediocre body and get fabulous results.

The technology in cameras these days in phenomenal. You can buy a small point and shoot that can take most pictures as well as any d/slr. It really depends on what you want the camera for. What your primary use will be. If you want something you can pack around in your pocket and take good snaps of friends and what not, a point and shoot style camera is great. If you want extensive zoom, wide angle, macro or something of that nature then a d/slr is the way to go.
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    S95 will be lighter for sure and it's "pocketable" while the G12 isn't. G12 will have more bells and whistles.

vid review on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jto9C5uZIWU

Thank you so much for that video. 1. it was hysterical 2. I think it just saved me $150 LOL

Maybe I can get this before Thanksgiving ;0)
  • bluebutterflyzz
    Options
    I went with the canon s100 :-) Just picked it up from best buy since they're going so fast, I couldn't purchase it online. Can't wait to test this baby out!!