Gained but....

Options
When I rub my hands down my tummy, my legs, the back, and even my neck. It seems as if I have been loosing weight but according to the scale. I have been gaining weight. I eat around 1300.

I can tell that I am slimming down but I am not loosing weight. Can someone with the same issue I was having give me any hope to continue and how long it took you before your weight started to drop.

Replies

• RawkChick
    RawkChick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I rub my hands down my tummy, my legs, the back, and even my neck. It seems as if I have been loosing weight but according to the scale. I have been gaining weight. I eat around 1300.

I can tell that I am slimming down but I am not loosing weight. Can someone with the same issue I was having give me any hope to continue and how long it took you before your weight started to drop.

You need to eat more. 1300 is dangerously close to starvation mode.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I got rid of my scale :] Go by measurements! more accurate and better for your mind ^-^
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and it used to freak me out. Then my Trainer showed me that I was actually gaining muscle not the fat I lost. He also took my measurements and saw that I had in fact lost some inches. Taking Measurements can be a more helpful way to track it. Hope that helps
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hey are you taking measurement? Or taking progress photos?

I had a month where the scale did not move but i lost 2 inches in my waist and 1 in my hips.

Why the super low cal intake for a dude? (not being judgmental - legitimately asking :)! )
  • acuratlsd
    Options

Right, but I am not loosing...
    The thing also is that I intake around 150 grams of protein a day which is at 4cal per gram.

So, I try not to eat so much because I don't think this website inter grades the calories from protein.

if i eat more, i'll gain more... not quite sure what to do here.
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    Yeah! I think that is what I need to do. Just stop getting on the scale. I know that I am loosing inches because when I wrap a towel around my tummy, I actually have anough slack to keep it up LOL not like before, it was tight, and it was like wearing very tight pants and you didn't want to make any major moments or it would rip... any moments from me, the towel would just fall, but now, not a problem.

I have always had this where I can gain muscle quickly but also it would be nice to see the lbs go lower as well.

I haven't taken any measurements yet, i guess i need to do that so i can compare.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I know this guy who got like 2 or 3 times bigger. He got this enormous round soft belly and man boobs. But his scale weight went down! Want me to check and see if he'll share his secrets?
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    It could be that while you are losing fat, you are gaining lean muscle mass. Since muscle weighs more than fat, it isn't always easy to tell that doing the hard work of eating properly and exercising are doing well just by looking at a scale. I would recommend taking measurements as well as using a scale, not just use a scale. People sometimes tell me it looks like I have lost weight, even though the numbers on the scale either haven't changed or even increase. Just don't give up, those numbers will eventually start dropping.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

Right, but I am not loosing...
    The thing also is that I intake around 150 grams of protein a day which is at 4cal per gram.

So, I try not to eat so much because I don't think this website inter grades the calories from protein.

if i eat more, i'll gain more... not quite sure what to do here.

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine. The scale is a dirty liar sometimes ... meaning it's not a very good way to track your progress. A tape measure, the way your clothes feel, and progress pics if you are able, are way better. When I first started working out I went down 2 sizes, yet gained a few pounds! Proof in point, the scale isn't always the be all end all.

All the best to you!
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    Yeah, I am thinking of using the scale as a big desk paperweight... useless piece of junk.

I laugh at my sister. She is 5'2" at 106lbs and she is saying she is too big. I am just shaking my head on her.

Try being 5'9" 250lbs.. I would just love to be in the hundreds instead of the two hundreds.

I think its going to take a little bit for my body to start to adjust to the new diets and the type of foods I am in taking.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough.
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    Not eating enough,
    I guess I need to go start taking trips to taco bell. Not only is the food good,
    but it comes with lettuce and tomatoes LOL

So people can't say I am not eating veggies!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    well that's not quite what I meant.

But your body probably is in starvation mode. You need fuel to feed it. And I KNOW fast food is tasty, but watch the sodium.

Now I feel like a big debbie downer. But those thing might help.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I know this guy who got like 2 or 3 times bigger. He got this enormous round soft belly and man boobs. But his scale weight went down! Want me to check and see if he'll share his secrets?
    Thanks for outing me. What a Pal!

Ditch the scale, use the way your clothes fit. Maybe try eating more veggies, and get your massive protein intake from real food rather than shakes. You also need to consider the sustainability of your intake. You should be eating with an eye towards maintaining healthy eating habits when you meet your goal. Something to consider.
    Good luck!

And I am not touching the muscle weighs more than fat comment.

Oh, and this: "When I rub my hands down my tummy, my legs, the back, and even my neck"
    Stop that, you'll go blind and people will talk.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    well that's not quite what I meant.

But your body probably is in starvation mode. You need fuel to feed it. And I KNOW fast food is tasty, but watch the sodium.

Now I feel like a big debbie downer. But those thing might help.
    Perhaps I could interest you in some raisin stir-fry?
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    I got it... Pound of Fat is the same as a Pound of Muscle. Just its more dense. It takes more muscle to occupy the space of a lb of fat. Simple...

I take shakes, I eat peanuts... I take a good amount of protein from foods as well. Egg Whites...
    I think I will just intake more calories see if that gets me going
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough.
    I eat 1400 cals a day and I eat my exercise calories and I keep losing.

You need to be healthy and do things properly. Track everything you eat. Write it down. Follow the steps that MFP provides and you lose. But starving yourself will make you sick and you'll potentially gain back the weight and then some because you didn't learn how to use portion control and proper nutrition.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Trust some of the information that has been given to you in previous threads.You're in the mindset that if you eat less, you will lose more.

With your stats, if you do nothing but sit on your duff all day, your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure, ie. what your body requires to maintain it's current weight) is roughly 2550 calories

To lose, create a calorie deficit. Yes, at 1300 you're in a deficit but it's too large of a deficit. Maybe you ought to try 2000 calories.

Breaking that 2000 calories down; 200g protein, 80g fat, 125 carbs might be something to shoot for.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Oh, and this: "When I rub my hands down my tummy, my legs, the back, and even my neck"
    Stop that, you'll go blind and people will talk.

That went thru my mind immediately. Probably cuz I'm all mature and stuff.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I got it... Pound of Fat is the same as a Pound of Muscle. Just its more dense. It takes more muscle to occupy the space of a lb of fat. Simple...

How did you discover this? I thought it was only shared with the "special" people. Hmmm.....