HELP! Need ideas for exercising during winter!

Options
I am currently in az for work but am heading home to Wisconsin soon. Can't afford a gym membership, I'm a stay at home mom, and I live in the country. Anyone have any ideas for getting cardio in during winter? My daughter is 11 months old and I can't think of anything other than cleaning my house to get my cardio in. Any and all ideas are appreciated:)

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    exercisetv.com has some free full length videos.

Youtube.com YogaYak has full length classes

Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds is fairly inexpensive

Also Dancing in your living room - Your baby will think it's funny too. Babies love dancing adults :)
  • kdsmith1234
    Options
    try doing zumba.. i have a 14 month old and am a stay at home mom also, i found some videos on youtube until i have the money to buy the dvds. its pretty awesome i have lost 6lbs in just under 3 weeks from doing it 2 times a week:) good luck with your journey
  • calamitydown
    Options
    30DS and/or hula hooping with a weighted hoop! :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    hula hoop is awesome workout. also jumprope. I used to dance around the living room with the baby on my hip. he would laugh and laugh! and in az in the summer, everyone packs the babyin the stroller and goes to the mall to walk.
  • annabellj
    Options
    also you can run in place, or get a bike and ride thru the country. i would love that!
  • annabellj
    Options
    also you can run in place, or get a bike and ride thru the country. i would love that!
    sorry it prob snows in WI in the winter huh? blonde
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies! They dont have a bunch of half naked skanks dancing around...they have REAL people!! Plus it's fun classic music that is just fun!! Plus it will expose your child to some good music!! ;) best wishes!!:flowerforyou:
  • nukehiker
    Options
    Insanity is a great indoor cardio workout !!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Weather here is cold and wet for the whole winter so I purchased a manual treadmill, small footprint, no motor so it can go anywhere, also pretty inexpensive compared to an electric one. Will warn you though it's a serious workout.
  • skmarler
    Options
    Turn on some music and dance...really dance...for joy and health. Stretches work well with slower music. Just move and keep moving.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Put on some waltz music (or whatever you prefer) and dance with your daughter. Or better yet, if you can sing, sing all those great old nursery rhymes & folk songs while you're dancing with her. I love doing that with my nephew.

Search Hulu, Netflix and Youtube for exercise videos. They even have Zumba!

If you have a Wii or other gaming system, they have some great games that give you a real workout. I love Just Dance & Just Dance II. You can find a lot of good used games pretty cheaply. Check pawn shops, secondhand & thrift stores, eBay, amazon, craigslist.

To save money so I don't have to go to the laundromat as often, I wash my lightweight laundry (socks, hand towels, delicates) in my bathtub, and that can be a pretty good cardio & upper body workout too. I'm sweating and breathing hard by the time I get everything scrubbed properly.

And don't underestimate the power of other housecleaning: do you have any projects you've been putting off? Sorting through old clothes or boxes? Reorganizing a storage room? Bending & straightening and lifting and carrying may not be full-on cardio, but it's certainly a workout.

Good luck!
  • Katedimaggio
    Katedimaggio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm new to working out...sad to say. But hey, better late to never! I love all of the ideas...especially the dancing ones...my little girl LOVES music! She jams out to every song she hears!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You can get some good workout DVDs for dirt cheap on Amazon. That's how I've done all my exercises. Biggest Loser is really good for beginners.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Get the Bob Harper kettlebell kit from Target! Comes with a kettlebell and instructional DVD.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit and/or dance games/videos, jump rope, twist board with resistance bands, and good 'ol calisthenics. You're doing awesome :))
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope, dancing, boxing, burpees, shoveling snow............................there are endless ways of doing it without a gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a set of Snow shoes and Nordic Poles and get out and SS in the snow. Great exercise and lots of fun you don't need any lessons or trails just snow. You will warm up fast and have tons of fun and burns lots of calories.
  • Katedimaggio
    Options
    Buy yourself a set of Snow shoes and Nordic Poles and get out and SS in the snow. Great exercise and lots of fun you don't need any lessons or trails just snow. You will warm up fast and have tons of fun and burns lots of calories.
    I love this idea! Thank you!
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go to the library, take baby, and check out some exercise DVD's. I have been doing "Pilates for Weight Loss" the past few days and can already see a difference. Make sure you get some books for baby while you are there (can you tell I'm a librarian?) :)
  • Katedimaggio
    Options
    Go to the library, take baby, and check out some exercise DVD's. I have been doing "Pilates for Weight Loss" the past few days and can already see a difference. Make sure you get some books for baby while you are there (can you tell I'm a librarian?) :)
    Another great idea that won't cost me a dime....thank you! And I won't forget some books for baby:)