Eating Sour Candy is Like Eating Battery Acid

Options
I came across this article and I thought I should share it, my niece is eating this very regularly :frown:

http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/11/18/eating-sour-candy-is-like-eating-battery-acid

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Who would eat a "Sour Spray" anyway? That just sounds suspicious to begin with! Interesting article!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It is WAY more delicious than battery acid, though.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Battery acid is really not too good.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing this article!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    OMG...the ones pictured are a Canadian candy that is my absolute fave. We used to eat them as children all the time. Every time I go visit, i eat some. I think in moderation it is ok, but good thing I dont live there anymore!
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Go to naturalnews.com and you will see that most of the food we eat is not good for us. I mean vitamin water causes obesity.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Go to naturalnews.com and you will see that most of the food we eat is not good for us. I mean vitamin water causes obesity.

crazy site lol xD
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love sour even more than sweet, and combining the two = perfection!

I'm an "everything in moderation" kind of gal.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really call that an article. It is only a list of pH's. And saying the candy is "almost as acidic as battery acid" is a little misleading. From what I remember from chemistry, pH is logarithmic, so something with a pH of 1 has 10x the H+ ions as something with a pH of 2. Not exactly "almost". Lemon juice is just as acidic as most of these candies, but many people advocate putting a bit of lemon in their water with no ill effects.

Obviously eating a lot of candy is never good, but this seems like just a shock tactic page to me.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ummm... Just to point out: stomach acid has a ph between 1 and 2. So your stomach and intestine are used to dealing with the acidity of battery acid. It probably isn't going to hurt anything there if you like sour candy.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Who would eat a "Sour Spray" anyway?

Kids.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    I'm reading a book called alkalize or die, and it talks about how foods we eat, don't have to be acidic for our bodies to have an acidic reaction to them. So far in the book I understand that maintaining a 80/20 alkaline/acid balance is optimal.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The acid iin your stomach is hydrochloric acid. It can eat through metal. So use that as a basis for your judgement. Your stomach tissue is protected from these things.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    The acid iin your stomach is hydrochloric acid. It can eat through metal. So use that as a basis for your judgement. Your stomach tissue is protected from these things.

But hydrochloric acid your body naturally produces. Every other acid is by-product of metabolism including diacetic, lactic, pyruvic, uric, carbonic, acetic, butyric and hepatic waste acids. Minimizing and removing these acids are essential for longevity.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    It is WAY more delicious than battery acid, though.

I really really like this reply!
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I wouldn't really call that an article. It is only a list of pH's. And saying the candy is "almost as acidic as battery acid" is a little misleading. From what I remember from chemistry, pH is logarithmic, so something with a pH of 1 has 10x the H+ ions as something with a pH of 2. Not exactly "almost". Lemon juice is just as acidic as most of these candies, but many people advocate putting a bit of lemon in their water with no ill effects.

Obviously eating a lot of candy is never good, but this seems like just a shock tactic page to me.

I was thinking that there had to be something big like this missing from the information on the page, because i'm sure sweets that were almost as acidic as battery acid would be illegal.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that dairy causes an acidic reaction in our body, forcing the body to neutralize it. When it does, it strips calcium OUT of our bodies. So, everything sucks!:laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal..

I mean your niece hasn't diet yet from it.. right? So then it can't be like battery acid because I'm pretty sure ingesting that would kill you or at least make you really sick.

When I was kid, war heads were all rage. We traded them on the playground at school.. and got in trouble for it. The stores were always sold out of them and if you could handle them without making a face then you were automatically cool.
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal..

I mean your niece hasn't diet yet from it.. right? So then it can't be like battery acid because I'm pretty sure ingesting that would kill you or at least make you really sick.

When I was kid, war heads were all rage. We traded them on the playground at school.. and got in trouble for it. The stores were always sold out of them and if you could handle them without making a face then you were automatically cool.

Omg I looooved warheads!!!!
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    And cry babies!!!!!