That time of the month!!!!

Options
Morning MFP's :O) well its that time of the month and I'm feeling very tired, bloated and this time round its a heavy period....two days into my period and my legs are still wobbley......how to do you cope with dieting when on ur period??? do u weight and measure yourself or do u just forget it ???

Replies

• darbym7
    Options
    dont weigh or measure... i gain like four pounds on my period and needless to say youll gain inches just from bloating, etc. dont go crazy binging but dont restrict yourself too much
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Apparently you're metabolism increases by like 10% during that time...However, when it;s around that time, there is NOOOO way I'll weigh myself or even look at a scale...I know it will just make me cry [since I'm super super emotional during that time!]. Just ignore the scale & all that stuff until you are done. :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Mine used to be really heavy I'd spend first few days sandwiched between hot water bottles cos of pain in lower back and stomach cramps.. I'd put on about 6-10lbs in water and they'd usually last a week. Recently they have got much lighter.. I'm not sure if its the diet and exercising or that I'm going through the peri-menopause or something (I'm 42).

If they're as bad as mine used to be there's not much you can do but sit it out and wait until they are over! Try not to indulge too much if you get really strong cravings. I used to have to use water tablets too to help the water come back off otherwise I'd put on like 6 lbs and only lose 2lbs of it when they ended, so I'd spend rest of month trying to get the last 4lb off to get back to where I was.. before another 6lb went back on again.. it was really frustrating with trying to lose weight too!
  • sbridgett27
    sbridgett27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually give my body what it wants! Chocolate and all things sweet, but in moderation. However, I make room for it in my diet (usually). For instance, instead of say a sandwich and chips that might equal 400-500 calories, I opt for a bigger salad with lots of veggies: something that will fill me up. The extra calories I saved on the meal goes toward my choco fix!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I usually give my body what it wants! Chocolate and all things sweet, but in moderation. However, I make room for it in my diet (usually). For instance, instead of say a sandwich and chips that might equal 400-500 calories, I opt for a bigger salad with lots of veggies: something that will fill me up. The extra calories I saved on the meal goes toward my choco fix!

lol!... I do that too.. I get cravings for alcohol too, had really low cal meals yesterday so could ft in a chocolate bar and brandy & coke to satisfy my cravings! today I'm craving coco pops for breakfast but they are so sugary, so I do small bowl of rice krispies and just add an handful of coco pops mixed in instead then I get the chocolately flavour to satisfy cravings but not as many calories as a whole bowl of them!
  • Musicgrl4life
    Options
    its really tough some days. some days i crave sweets. i just have a few fun size snacks and that fixes that craving. and you should wait to weigh yourself and do measurements til after it's over. i get majorly bloated. definitely you have a few lbs of water weight.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If all you ladies would like a specific place to discuss your periods, you should check out the "Periods, Period." group for women.

I suggest putting the scale away for now and sticking to your plan as best as possible. Don't beat yourself up if you treat yourself.