2nd time around and more difficult (but not impossible)

Options
Hey everyone, my name is Danaan, and this is my second time around looking to get fit. The first time I did it (and I DID it) was in 2004 when I had gone from 310 lbs to 174. I had committed to it when my dad died of cirrhosis, and I didn't want my kids to see me wasting away in a hospital bed.

Stresses of life and career, coupled with my own irresponsibility, caused me to pack the pounds back on, and I find myself at 275 lbs. and experiencing all of the discomforts that go along with it. Oddly, another death motivated me. This time, my mom, who passed from metastatic cancer.

I'm not here because I want to look like a male model, I don't have those kind of pipe dreams... I'm here because I want to be healthy. I don't want to be subject to depression anymore. I want to get out of my house and shoot photos again like I used to.

But that journey of 1000 miles begins with my first step... and that's here.

Hello everyone.

Replies

• danaanlugh
    Options
    Hey everyone, my name is Danaan, and this is my second time around looking to get fit. The first time I did it (and I DID it) was in 2004 when I had gone from 310 lbs to 174. I had committed to it when my dad died of cirrhosis, and I didn't want my kids to see me wasting away in a hospital bed.

Stresses of life and career, coupled with my own irresponsibility, caused me to pack the pounds back on, and I find myself at 275 lbs. and experiencing all of the discomforts that go along with it. Oddly, another death motivated me. This time, my mom, who passed from metastatic cancer.

I'm not here because I want to look like a male model, I don't have those kind of pipe dreams... I'm here because I want to be healthy. I don't want to be subject to depression anymore. I want to get out of my house and shoot photos again like I used to.

But that journey of 1000 miles begins with my first step... and that's here.

Hello everyone.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can do it my friend! It took me a little while to adjust to a healthier diet but now I'm not having any difficulty and I feel so much better when I eat healthy...the food diary at this site is so helpful and there are such great folks for support and info as well.

Greetings,
    Fat Dancer
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I wish you the best of success....it's a journey and a lifestyle change! You can do it!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: I am sorry for your losses.:flowerforyou: This is an excellent site to learn to eat more healthy and have lots of support. Using the calorie counter among other things is very helpful I keep track of everything I eat and stay at the calories recommended.......plenty of water, veg. fruit and lean meat is what I do, and if I need a snack I eat a rice cake, flavored , like cheese or chocolate, instead of grabbing those cookies like I use to. I am sure there will be many others on here with some tips for you, some have lost a great deal of weight and I am fairly new . Good luck:smile:
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    You can do it my friend! It took me a little while to adjust to a healthier diet but now I'm not having any difficulty and I feel so much better when I eat healthy...the food diary at this site is so helpful and there are such great folks for support and info as well.

Greetings,
    Fat Dancer

Thank you so very much! It seems like there is a wonderful support network here, and it'll be good to be encouraged on those rough days!
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: I am sorry for your losses.:flowerforyou: This is an excellent site to learn to eat more healthy and have lots of support. Using the calorie counter among other things is very helpful I keep track of everything I eat and stay at the calories recommended.......plenty of water, veg. fruit and lean meat is what I do, and if I need a snack I eat a rice cake, flavored , like cheese or chocolate, instead of grabbing those cookies like I use to. I am sure there will be many others on here with some tips for you, some have lost a great deal of weight and I am fairly new . Good luck:smile:

Thank you so much, and while both losses were painful, they opened my eyes to what needed to be done! The site is very well laid out, and I am quite happy with the calorie counter! :D
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    Welcome and I wish you the best of success....it's a journey and a lifestyle change! You can do it!

How well I know! Having done this before! :happy: I had amassed a bunch of nice clothes when I lost all the weight before, I want that back! :laugh: I remember how much I hated "fat clothes" before!
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello Danaan!

Many sympathies for your losses but am very glad to see you here with a positive view to getting yourself healthy & fit and recognizing that, indeed, it is a lifestyle...not just a diet!!

Good Luck on your journey! You did it once before...and you can do it again!!!
  • dgrotefend
    Options
    Hi Danaan, I too am sorry for your losses. I know how it feels though. My mom died from ovarian and pancreatic cancer in 1999. I want to become healthy so that maybe I can help prevent that from happening to me or something else like heart disease. I also have lost quite a bit of weight once before and it was wonderful. I'm going to try and focus on that to keep me motivated. I just found this site today. It's almost to hard to believe that it's free. I hope it helps us all.

Take care and we're all in this together.

Dianne
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Danaan! I'm so sorry for your losses as well, and I applaud your commitment to this next round.

I'm sure you already know what to do, having had such wonderful success before. And I'm sure you will have that same success again.

I just started the site a few weeks ago and the support and encouragement has been a huge help to me with my own first steps.

Keep us all posted, and lean when you need to! That's what everyone is here for.

- Monica
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    Hello Danaan!

Many sympathies for your losses but am very glad to see you here with a positive view to getting yourself healthy & fit and recognizing that, indeed, it is a lifestyle...not just a diet!!

Good Luck on your journey! You did it once before...and you can do it again!!!

Thank you Dianne, I appreciate that!
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    Hi Danaan, I too am sorry for your losses. I know how it feels though. My mom died from ovarian and pancreatic cancer in 1999. I want to become healthy so that maybe I can help prevent that from happening to me or something else like heart disease. I also have lost quite a bit of weight once before and it was wonderful. I'm going to try and focus on that to keep me motivated. I just found this site today. It's almost to hard to believe that it's free. I hope it helps us all.

Take care and we're all in this together.

Dianne

:laugh: I'm beginning to sound like a broken record saying "thank you" so much, but that's a testament to the kind of support there is around here! I need a focus to keep me going too... and overall health is it!
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    Welcome, Danaan! I'm so sorry for your losses as well, and I applaud your commitment to this next round.

I'm sure you already know what to do, having had such wonderful success before. And I'm sure you will have that same success again.

I just started the site a few weeks ago and the support and encouragement has been a huge help to me with my own first steps.

Keep us all posted, and lean when you need to! That's what everyone is here for.

- Monica

Thank you very much, Monica! I'm feeling quite welcome here and am looking forward to progressing toward health! I appreciate all of the support and encouragement!