why do colds make me hungry?

Options
Just something I've always wondered! I've got one at the moment and I feel like I could eat everything in sight not that I would let myself!

Replies

• hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to that, but I have the exact same problem! Hope you feel better soon!
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am like that too and I always thought that it was because I lost my taste buds and it was a disconnected feeling for my brain.....
  • grannisue
    Options
    With a head cold, I really can't "taste" what I am eating. I figure that gives less of a satisfaction with the food I eat. I assume it's more of a sensory thing than really being hungry ~ I am craving the feelings I get from the taste of the food. I hate colds.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I definitely get more 'hungry' when I am not busy, when I am trying to rest. For example yesterday, I was just as sick as I am today but crazy busy day at work meant a little hunger but I pushed through it. When I am at home sitting around, I don't have that same willpower, so I guess I am not more hungry but I just notice it more.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm the same way, and I don't want just any food I want JUNK. I usually let myself have a few treats, like a little bit of ice cream if my throat hurts. My husband usually makes me a huge batch of homemade chicken noodle soup and that keeps me feeling satisfied.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You might need more fuel because your immune system is working hard? They always say "feed a cold".

The taste thing might have something to do with it too. Junk food may seem more appealing because it has stronger flavors you can taste. I know when I have a bad cold or sinus infection, nothing tastes right... except Taco Bell.